Royall & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Chris Marett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good company culture free starbucks coffee (in 7 reviews)

• There is also a very good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not always much room for out of the box thinking (in 2 reviews)

• Low work-life balance in busy seasons (it's always a busy season for some department) (in 2 reviews)

"Good place to work, could be Great"

I have been working at Royall & Company full-time

Pros

- Friendly people
    - Great benefits
    - Satisfying work

Cons

- The people who do the heavy lifting to get client's work out the door aren't adequately staffed.
    - They continue to add new clients and work but rarely new people to do that work.
    - Things could be more efficient.

2. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Royall & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Low pressure environment. Friendly people.

Cons

Not enough discussion between teams. Low salaries.

3. "Great Cultured Workplace"

Current Employee - Client Data Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Client Data Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Royall & Company (More than a year)

Pros

They really care about their employees. They treat everyone with respect and act like everyone is family. Many activities to keep moral up and low turn over rating.

Cons

Heavy workloads but do-able.

Advice to Management

Management works hard at trying to keep everyone up to date with new technologies and figure out ways to implement better customer service to our clients.

"Good for some, not so great for others"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Royall & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people who work hard and don't mind helping out.

Great starting point if you're new to your role.

Good equipment.

Cons

Managers with zero management training.

No title consistency.

No ongoing skill training or improvement plans.

Large salary discrepancies between people with the same title and experience.

No bonuses, even after being bought for what amounts to more than a million dollars per employee.

Management keep talking about wanting innovation and out-of-the-box thinking, yet crush any effort of doing things differently from how they're done now.

A lot of behind-the-scenes politics.

Bullpen / Open floorplan.

Little career movement.

Inconsistent promotions (People with the same skill, experience, and output aren't promoted on the same schedule).

A lot of feel-good movements and projects, making people feel like they're being listened to yet amounts to nothing.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff, don't change stuff on your own whim.

Give bonuses.

Put in some cubicles or offices, productivity will go up.

"A good place to start your career, a stepping stone."

Current Employee - Client Data Steward in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Client Data Steward in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Royall & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work we do for our clients/members can really impact their financial success and we help them reach enrollment goals. When a client is happy and your work is recognized its always a good day. However, your work as is rarely recognized.

Cons

Our role changed names 3 times since I started, I believe the reason for the change was to align the position with what they are willing to pay. A client data steward is not as recognized as a Business Analyst. This created the opportunity to engage people with similar skills but offer less pay.
    Rampant internal politics, that will hinder your performance reviews. Raises after performance reviews are constantly below economic inflation. No bonuses are ever awarded even if you meet all your deadlines and deliverables.
    Training is non-existent, and management has no internal improvement plans.

Advice to Management

A core mission of the Advisory Board is to run to criticism. Unfortunately, Royall has not adopted this mission. Management needs to create an environment where negative feedback isn't reprimanded but is used as a catalyst to improve processes.

6. "Growing company!"

Former Employee - Account Services Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Account Services Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Royall & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great culture if you get in the right department. Some departments are way more supportive of each other than others.
    Growing company! Which means more and more opportunities should be coming soon!

Cons

Not a lot of upward movement opportunities at the moment.

Advice to Management

If someone is asking for more responsibility, give it to them.

7. "Royall & Company 2016"

Pros

Beautiful campus on Parham road, well managed. Lots of activities with free food, popsicles and activities. Lovely HR department with lots of opportunity to be involved in different activities. Mountains of free (starbucks etc) coffee.

Cons

A young marketing company (10+ yrs) that has created its own technology to meet the needs of the business. The purchase of Royall by The Advisory Board will in the long term be a positive as the technology struggles to keep up with the pace of the business.

When clients visit, employees are required to dress formally on specific days. Some departments have recently moved to a new location a few blocks away, the dress code is more casual (no client visits).

"It's not enough to do a good job here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

The perks of working here are free coffee, large company kitchen and mini-market, on-campus parties, and the well-decorated buildings/well-kept grounds.

Cons

The cons of working here include the highly cliquish atmosphere (if you're not a favorite of one of the big dogs, your work performance will not be viewed objectively); the disparity between the open, progressive culture of parent company The Advisory Board Company and Royall's more provincial "Old Richmond Money" culture; and the inability of managers to consider new and possibly more effective solutions and procedures. For most employees, assimilation into the white-bread, 40-and-younger, fashion/looks-oriented mindset is critical to survival. There are a few people who are able to pull off a left-of-center hairstyle or wardrobe piece because their supervisor understands it has nothing to do with performance, but the rest must follow strict unspoken guidelines. Had I known about all of this before joining the company, I would have remained at my previous job. By the way, the CEO of Royall met with each team immediately after his ascension, and while I can't speak for what he said in other team meetings, he did specifically encourage my team to go write a positive review on glassdoor.com.

Advice to Management

Continue to review our managers and elicit employee feedback to weed out the "old school" people who do not reflect The Advisory Board Company values. Years with the company do not reflect the skill by which someone performs their job. Be mindful of procedural efficiency and how increasing an employee's autonomy will increase work quality and productivity.

9. "Changing with the times"

I worked at Royall & Company full-time

Pros

Office perks, chances to connect with co-workers
    Ample training opportunities

Cons

Expectations of performance not commensurate with pay
    Favoritism is obvious

Advice to Management

Be mindful of burnout. Also, trust the employees and offer telework.

"Good luck finding a better place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

First I must say I've read a number of the reviews, and the few negative ones I see are frankly IMO weak enough that they actually speak well of the company. For one, sorry, I'm not buying the person who claims that people in the company are "directed to post positive reviews" (and I could easily counter with hey, maybe that and the other negative reviews were written by a competitor). Or the person who thinks HR doing all kind of little extras throughout the year made them fee like "they were in day care." Seriously? How does a company showing appreciation for employees make you feel like a child? How bizarre. I also find it hard to take someone seriously when they were a copywriter, of all things, yet don't know the difference between the words "throw" and "through." But anyway....

I've worked at various other places, and this is easily one of if not the best. For starters, there are those "little extras" I mentioned throughout the year that it does even though it doesn't have to, like free catered lunches, occasionally cutting a day short for a happy hour outside, contests, etc...I am routinely amazed by this and keep telling others who've never worked elsewhere that this is far from the norm and they should appreciate and enjoy it while they can (but I suspect they won't until they work at a company that makes no such efforts to show any appreciation for its employees at all...Capital One comes to mind).

There is also a very good work/life balance. They are flexible and considerate if you have a Dr appt or kid is sick, things like that.

Pay is near as I can tell competitive, and the benefits are among the best you will find anywhere.

There is also the nature of the work, which helps students in the college choosing and enrollment process. I feel like I'm doing something that helps a greater good, and not many other companies can rightfully say that.

But as great as all of that is, it's still nothing compared to IMO the most important part: the quality of people, INCLUDING management. In my experience, good managers in corporate America are about as common as a winning lotto ticket, but you will find them here in abundance. And I don't mean just being good at managing systems or projects...many can do that...but also good at managing *people.* They are not just managers, but leaders. THAT is rare. Here you are treated with respect, communication is strong, and opinions are valued. There may be exceptions, obviously no place is perfect, but that is based on everything I have experienced or seen and talking to others about it, and I have been here for some time now. Further, the people here on the whole are intelligent, dedicated, professional, AND friendly. Even people you don't know will say hello and talk to you. I again contrast that with a place like Capital One, where almost everyone walks around with a ticked off look on their face, like zombies, without ever a hello or how's it going...and it's rife with incompetent low-level management that brings in contractors to solve things they've screwed up and quickly dumps them if they can't (blaming them for the problems to boot). People are constantly coming and going there. Not so here. Most people get here and stay, and small wonder why.

I could go on, but that's already plenty from a normally cynical person like me! In fact, before I got this job, I would have laughed at anyone saying I would ever write a review like this; but credit where it's due.

Cons

Like some have mentioned, a little flex hour ability would be nice, but that's minor. I do agree that they seem biased to a younger workforce, so opportunities for older people appear limited, if that applies to you.

Advice to Management

It's not broke; don't fix it. This especially goes out to senior management and ABC/EAB. Please do not try to "assimilate" Royall to your ways, or at least as little as possible. Please....keep those corporate egos in check and keep in mind that Royall knows what it's doing, or it wouldn't be the leader in its field that it is.