Rubenstein Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Steven Rubenstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place for beginners to learn the PR business at warp speed (in 7 reviews)

• Hours for entry level employees are great: 9-5 (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for promotion or growth; assistants (account coordinators, floaters, associate account executives) are treated like cattle (in 7 reviews)

• At the entry level, the pay is pretty appalling (in 5 reviews)

1. "Working at Rubenstein"

I have been working at Rubenstein full-time

Pros

Since I’ve started, everyone has been really welcoming and friendly. There are lots of opportunities for learning for the entry-level staff. You can really tell how iconic and historic the firm is just through all the different clients we have. Beautiful office!

Cons

Not many I can see. The company is constantly evolving and changing, for the better.

Jan 11, 2018 – Vice President

Thank you so much for leaving a review! We are happy to hear about your positive experiences working with Rubenstein. There are many great new training and development opportunities coming up in... More

2. "Solid PR Company"

I have been working at Rubenstein full-time

Pros

Hours for entry level employees are great: 9-5. Depending on the team, entry staff has a lot of interaction with clients and senior staff. HR department is awesome. Christina, VP of talent acquisition, is extremely cool and makes an effort to keep in touch with individuals she hired. The Rubenstein family is kind.

Cons

Depending on the team, certain account coordinators are underpaid given their job responsibilities. I️t is not a living wage. Also the dress code is a bit conservative given the industry. No jeans. Also the lack of paid time off for entry level employees borders on degrading.

Advice to Management

Allow Account Coordinators to work from home due to the lack of paid time off if I️t is conducive to their role and responsibilities.

Nov 14, 2017 – Vice President

We are pleased to read that you are having a positive experience as an Account Coordinator. Exposure to clients and senior staff while at the entry level is highly beneficial as you continue to build... More

3. "Enjoying my time here but there is room for improvement"

I have been working at Rubenstein full-time

Pros

I have been working at Rubenstein for several years and feel that it's a unique agency with many positives - a great reputation, interesting client work and a smart team. We work very hard and keep busy, They have their own way of doing things but it works.

Cons

Despite the above, I do need to stress that this is a job and certain things need to change to keep employees happy. My compensation is not equal to my years of experience or competitive to the industry. Discussions for salary increases are seen as offensive, despite stellar reviews. Time off policies and benefits are also stingy. The new office space had to be done, but investment in current employees could go a long way and lead to less turnover of really talented individuals.

"Good people - unlivable pay for recent graduates"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Rubenstein (Less than a year)

Pros

You will learn from Industry professionals

Cons

At the entry level, the pay is pretty appalling. You cannot afford to do anything. I think the best indication is how much everyone wants the free food.

Advice to Management

You should probably pay ACs 50k, they would be happier and there would be tremendously less turnover.

Oct 23, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that you are enjoying the opportunity to learn from talented industry professionals here at Rubenstein.

In regards to salary, the entry level... More

"PLEASE don't work here. I am trying to help you. Seriously."

Former Employee - Account Coordinator
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator

I worked at Rubenstein full-time

Pros

Hmmmm, let's see. The office is pretty. If you're new to NY, you'll make friends because the revolving door brings in a lot of new young faces constantly. You *may* get to work some cool events unless one of the executives decide they don't like you and subsequently blacklists you from any and every account through word of mouth.

Cons

Okay, so lets get to the nitty gritty. They will try to tell you this post is from a disgruntled employee and I know this because I too was in your position once. But please trust me when I say, I only write this to help you. I too was reading Glassdoor reviews of Rubenstein, trying to balance the pros from the cons and decide if a company could really be THAT bad. I, unlike you (I hope), took that chance and man oh man if I could take it back I would!

Let me first start by saying that my experience was that of an account coordinator. I'll only be speaking from that point of view as that is the position I can give the most insight on. So with that being said, I'm sure the term coordinator makes you think a junior level staffer who will be supporting the overall efforts of the team. Correct? No, no, no, no, no. *Get Out voice* You are an assistant. Meaning you are seen but not heard. You will answer calls and set up meetings with coffee and tea. You'll work on the occasional media list and do many many coverage reports (with no direction by the way) but mostly your job will be administrative. The executives won't trust you to do anything meaningful and you will often hear them talking about you behind your back as Rubenstein thrives on a gossipy culture. You will tell yourself if I just work hard and show that I'm eager to learn, then maybe things will change. Sigh, if only. The culture is set up for coordinators to be disposable. In my own interview, HR basically told me in so many words "hey this may be your first job, but it doesn't have to be your last one!" I should've known from that statement alone that this wasn't a company looking to grow its junior staff. But hey, fresh out of college you easily make mistakes and you miss those signs. It also doesn't hurt that Rubenstein banks on eager recent graduates who don't know better.

Besides the constant gossiping and the very clear separation of coordinators from the rest of the executive staff (almost like being in a weird professional caste system), the way HR is run is scary. You will often hear coordinators discussing amongst themselves who they can trust in HR and who they can't. CRAZY, right? You may tell them them your manager cursed at you, that they overwork you or even ask you to do things that are entirely out of your job description (i.e fetching an executive water whenever they need it or picking up laundry) and they will listen. I'll at least give them that. But they will do absolutely nothing to resolve the issue. To be honest, sometimes I felt that telling HR my grievances only made my situation worse. They were very manipulative and I often felt completely at a loss and on my own. Because of this, it was not uncommon to find new coordinators crying in the bathroom from being mistreated by senior staff. The more seasoned coordinators would often offer a shoulder to cry on during these times and tell the newbies that they too were once in their position and not to take it personal. It also wasn't uncommon for coordinators to get together and discuss when they hoped to "escape" Rubenstein. You could go up to any coordinator on any team and ask "when do you hope to leave?" and they wouldn't hesitate to describe to you in great detail their plans of getting out. No need to clarify or provide context on what you meant by the question because that's all you think about when you work at this job. This is how bad it was and most likely still is. I kid you not. In terms of compensation, I don't feel that I need to touch on the salary because I'm sure you've read some of the other reviews. So I'll just say yes. They were telling the truth. It's abysmal. Also, promotions? LOL. That's a one in a million situation right there.

I'm not writing this because I'm angry. I've since moved on and work in an environment where I feel that I am valued. Honestly, I appreciate it all the more because of how I was treated at Rubenstein. So, I guess I can thank them for that. I just want the same for whoever is reading this right now. This company will not value you. They will use you until you reach your breaking point and leave. It's a shame because they have the potential to be a hub for cultivating great young talent in the PR profession. But somewhere along the way, it seems the company got cocky and maybe even lazy, deciding that they didn't need to focus on retaining their staff. Maybe they felt they could survive from the name alone but times are a-changing and now they are left with extreme turnover rates. I was literally going to goodbye happy hours at least once or twice a month before I left. No joke. So please, heed my warning. You are worth so much more than what this company has to offer. I promise. I truly hope you take my words into consideration.

Advice to Management

Senior staff: Treat people the way you want to be treated and they will work hard for you. Take the time to train your junior staff so they can provide the level of work you desire. Don't use fear, intimidation and HR threats as a means to control your team.

Executive suite: Open your eyes to the structuring of your company. Leave your comfort zone and create a space where people can be honest without being reprimanded or crucified for it. And for Pete's sake, don't tax a bonus. That's cruel and unusual punishment for a company that already puts its employees through hell 8 hours a day.

Jan 11, 2018 – Vice President

We are truly sorry to hear that you did not have a positive working experience with us. We are committed to creating a welcoming, enriching and engaging environment that promotes opportunity and... More

6. "Invest in your people"

I worked at Rubenstein full-time

Pros

Known brand that's good for training.

Cons

This company wants to churn through people. The PR field is full of people who give you a knowing look when you say you worked here. There is no investment in people. Training for managers would be great. Teach them emotional intelligence, how to lead, how to engage, how to grow junior staffers, etc. Train new people instead of throwing them to the wolves. Stop the catty, gossipy culture and focus on building a team. Enough with the NYC pressure cooker vibe. That went out in the 80s.

Advice to Management

See above. Free bagels = not enough.

Sep 19, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a more positive working experience with us. We are committed to creating a comfortable and collaborative environment that... More

"Talented Staff, Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Rubenstein full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely wonderful onboarding experience. Experienced leaders in PR with a wealth of knowledge to share. Regular training and special guest speakers. The new office is gorgeous and near all the best restaurants in Hell's Kitchen. Terrific client list. HR team puts so much into making the employee experience positive. Company philanthropic and wellness initiatives are great, too.

Cons

So far, so good. I see regular improvements being made in areas that could otherwise be pain points. The agency appears to be moving in the right direction overall.

Advice to Management

The digital integration is the way to go, and it's exciting to see how important that is to management.

Jun 8, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are so pleased that your early days with Rubenstein have been positive!

8. "Rubenstein Account Coordinator"

I worked at Rubenstein full-time

Pros

Exposure to all types of clients, interesting event work

Cons

Treated poorly, no potential for growth, little potential for learning unless paired with an exceptional manager

Advice to Management

Restructure and get rid of old traditions, change with the times - even if that means shaking up your staffing practices

Jun 8, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It is good to see that you enjoyed the client exposure and event coordination work. We are deep in the process of evolving and improving the entry... More

9. "COnstant"

Pros

great place to work

Cons

unprofessional admisfer in the beinging

Jun 8, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It is good to see that you are happy here with Rubenstein! Please feel free to reach out to the human resources team with your comments and... More

"Account Coordinator"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Rubenstein full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Practices with almost all major organizations/institutions in NYC and entertainment clients
    -Friendly peers
    -Great learning opportunities
    -Major PR firm with strong influence

Cons

Zero growth for support level staff, outdated system of promotions and raises, unfair treatment of staff: favoritism towards senior staff and disregard towards support staff

Advice to Management

To resolve the high turnover rate, fix the system of promotions and raises to create a promising future for your staff. They should be earned and deserved based on performance rather than only issuing them when they are available