Ruby Receptionists Reviews | Glassdoor

Ruby Receptionists Founder & CEO Jill Nelson
Jill Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Everyone who wrote about how we are just another call center, you are sadly mistaken (in 10 reviews)

• High stress, constantly changing expectations, extremely poor hiring decisions, few opportunities for advancement, becoming glorified call center (in 4 reviews)

"This just in: you have to answer calls"

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time

Pros

Great pay, great culture, management takes all feedback - including negative - to heart and acts on it wherever possible. Reviewers below seem confused by the fact that Ruby is a for-profit company (uh, yeah, it always has been) and that you have to...well, work. I've been here maaaaaaaaaaany years and have literally never heard anyone say that the receptionist job is easy. There's a reason they offer great pay and benefits.

Cons

Based on some of the reviews below, there have clearly been some not-so-great hires made recently.

Advice to Management

Ruby is awesome and so are you. Keep listening, evolving, and fighting the good fight. Don't give too much credence to the loud minority - the majority of us believe in what Ruby stands for and are 100% engaged!

"Sooooooo fake"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Portland, OR

I worked at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, pay, parties, and food! Awesome sabbatical perks if you have worked five years (if you can last that long without wanting to off yourself from having to fake pep every single day)

Cons

Where do I start? OH! Let's address the review with the title, "This just in: you will have to answer phones." Well, no kidding! Answering phones was fine! That was not the issue. The issue is the stress revolved around the stats of answering said phone calls. Stats are everything at Ruby. Employees that work the early to mid-day shifts can easily have their stats fall in the green, but those who have the late shift often found call volume fairly low toward the end of the day. If you have been given extra responsibilities such as responding to client emails, you stats will be even lower. Then you will be warned by management, and most of the time you will be warned condescendingly. Management is so out of touch and act like they're there for you, but you're really just numbers to them.

Also, heaven forbid you're ever real and express negativity of any sort to your co-workers! You're only supposed to vent to your manager, but when you request a moment to vent, it's so fake, and often times they are not truly there for you. I was written up for frustratingly slamming my hand on my desk during a particularly abusive call. Callers will scream at you and berate you, but no matter what, you must be a peppy ruby! And again, you are forbidden to go to your fellow receptionists for comfort and support, lest you spread the negativity! I am all for positive office environments, but I think it is detrimental to have the receptionists bottle it all up. If management says that we should feel free to cry and come to them when we are dealing with angry callers, then freaking be there for us. It almost feels like they're keeping track of these moments too, like, if one were to vent more than five times to a manager, they might go on some emotional receptionist list.

It is also disgusting how we were supposed to embody the Ruby character of constantly being peppy, having a specific phone voice, and wowing the clients. Wowing clients meant that you had to always make connections such as sending gifts, etc, but then call length is important to keep low, and when you're worried about your stats, it is difficult to find time to search and send these wow gifts. Also, some people are shy, and it feels really creepy and uncomfortable making these connections with the clients, especially male clientele. I do not think it is fair that every receptionist is supposed to maintain these company ideals when their employees are made up of diverse personalities.

Also, I will let you in on a little secret, in that I suspect the company encourages its employees to come on here and give Ruby glowing reviews. While I was employed, we were encouraged to do things like this, and seeing that much of the over-the-top positive reviews appear on glassdoor in spurts, something in the water doesn't seem so clean.

The work is hard, and I understand hard work, but when you're merely your stats to a company, it honestly feels thankless. If you're not in tight with certain cliques, forget about advancing within the company.

I was at Ruby when it began to experience a lot of growth, and at the end of my time there, it really was a shell of its former self. When I began, I was excited for the job, and I found management to be supportive, but when they began to make goals into requirements and when expectations became nearly impossible, it became exhausting and no longer fun. It truly felt like you could be let go any moment.

Advice to Management

Please, for the love of all that is good, listen to your receptionists. They are the backbone of your company, and they are the ones that actually experience the drudgery every day. Requiring a constant positive attitude in the office makes it difficult for management to know how difficult it is for the receptionists. Receptionists, no matter what you say, do not fully trust you when they're venting their problems. There is a fear that you will use what they say against them. Please be a little less corporate, trust your receptionists, and they will give you back superb work. Do not nitpick things like bathroom breaks, lunch times, etc. For as much money as the company brings in, you can afford to show a little bit of trust.

3. "Decent Company!"

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid Time Off
    Health Benefits
    Holiday Parties
    Ruby's Culture is absolutely great!

Cons

Repetitive tasks
    You can get very rude callers at times.

Advice to Management

It would help many receptionists if ALL of the cultivators were on the same page when it comes to their expectations with the receptionists.

"Listen to what? Our receptionists?"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair starting wage, friendly coworkers, ~designer office~.

Cons

-Few upward growth opportunities with little infrastructure for such
    -Nepotism
    -No expression of negativity allowed on the floor, even if it's about your own day outside of work.
    -Constantly changing policies on stats
    -Constantly changing descriptions and expectations of all roles- company seems to ignore how often people step down from promotions because of unrealistic and poorly communicated responsibilities.
    -Despite the above, actual big changes can take literal years.
    -Out of touch upper management
    -The only communication is from top down versus upper management actually weighing anything middle management or frontline employees have to say.

Advice to Management

Either accept that Ruby is a for-profit call service that stands with the rest of the notorious call centers in the Portland metro area, or actually listen to your employees- the way that every positive review on glassdoor from current employees is replied to but ones that are negative are ignored is a succinct example of how everything in this company is handled. Compliments and empty words are echoed while concerns or constructive criticism are ignored. The job would legitimately be more palatable if we weren't expected to pretend that we were in some sort of nirvana of an office space and not another unfeeling, up and coming company.

Decide whether or not Ruby is at all interested in cultivating growth opportunities for front line receptionists- new hires are still walking into the office feeling like they can get anywhere, but in the over 2 years I have worked for Ruby, the original program for shadowing certain departments to learn more about the role has been being 'reworked' with no updated information going to any middle management. Every new team manager I have had has thought it was something that was actually an option when they asked what I saw myself doing in the company before coming back and telling me it was 'in progress'. Ruby likes to praise all of its employees who are working towards degrees while working at Ruby, but has just switched over to only allowing people to work full time for them, meaning anyone who has worked here over a year that was hoping to go part time to go to school while still being involved with Ruby is out of luck.

Listen to the employees who have touched calls within the past 10 years; all of my immediate managers have actually been fantastic, helpful people, and that's likely why two of three of them have quit. Most call floor managers seem to have our best interests at heart, but when anything they are hoping to bring up in manager meetings either goes unheard or actively acted against when it's more in the interest of the employee and not the bottom line, they burn out quickly. One of my past manager's stated that after watching two of their teammates quit for greener pastures, they called out for two days to think about the future of Ruby and upon getting back, they were going to be putting in their two weeks because they hadn't agreed with where Ruby had been going for a long time and no longer had the emotional fortitude to be the one giving their receptionists the updates on the policy changes that were only designed for the company's best interest and with little thought for how it would change a receptionist's day.

Receptionists are blamed for poor stats like long answer times, despite all stats that indicate how the floor is being run are also bad. If the office was not literally staffed to keep calls holding at all times and employees had a chance to breathe between calls, we would be less likely to be burnt out, and more likely to be able to uphold the top tier customer service Ruby expects out of its overworked and understaffed employees.

I write all this but I'm sure that if I'm trapped here long enough to see it, if it's acknowledged at all it will be to make another out-of-touch policy change where some up and coming new favorites announce a new micro-management tool and how the few things we were allowed to give us any agency are being taken away.

"Receptionist"

Current Employee - Receptionist

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not only is the pay amazing, but the culture is amazing. This is not some "glorified call center". We don't have managers, we have cultivators that help us grow. The cultivators are also in charge of small groups which allows them to get to know you personally. This is not some call center where you are just a number. We are a family that helps support one another. Each location has multiple opportunities to have fun and they treat us amazingly. On top of the great work environment, Jill is adamant about making sure we are taken care of. What other work place has free feminine products in every bathroom? We have a lounge, multiple kitchens, gym, a nap room, and amazing ambassadors to greet us every morning.

Cons

I think the only con is not having enough challenges. Everyone who wrote about how we are just another call center, you are sadly mistaken. Perhaps being a Ruby wasn't for you.

Advice to Management

I think we should focus on career building!

6. "Great company to work for."

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks and incentives. The benefits are amazing. They take really great care of their employees. The culture is unique and energizing.

Cons

La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la.

Advice to Management

Blah

"RubyLife"

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Ruby for almost three years and have loved almost every minute of it. Whatever energy or thought I put in to meeting new co-workers or working toward my personal goals is met with energy and gusto. Everyone is so open and welcoming, I've been helped and guided with grace and warmth with each question that I ask. Ruby has brought together like minded individuals who love making people's days brighter and I am so happy to be able to do so as well.

Cons

The environment can be a little intimidating, but nothing that smiling and saying hello won't solve. :)

"Rubylife"

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time

Pros

The community is great. Ruby brought together a lot of lovely humans.

Cons

The company is moving into a very corporate state of mind, losing what made it great. The budget no longer considers the well-being of the employees, but getting more sales. Tech company or not, we're still fully people powered. If all employees feel underpaid for what their job demands.. something is amiss.

"Profit over People"

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Guaranteed annual pay increases for Receptionists, 5wk paid sabbatical every 5yrs, great coworkers, aesthetically pleasing offices and a consistent full-time schedule

Cons

Advice to Management

You’ve made it quite clear that turning a profit at the expense of your entry level employees is the direction we’re going. Becoming corporate isn’t a negative thing unless you stop caring for the people that have made Ruby so successful. Stop making decisions from your tower downtown without involving those they affect. You’ve lost sight of what it’s actually like to take over 1,000 calls a week while still keeping a smile on your face. Stop handing down these mandates to “increase productivity” and treating those that push back as “resistant to change.” Lower management is forced to accept changes in expectations (even if changes aren’t included in job descriptions) and find a way to Rubify the change so their teams will take the news best. Have your hiring team actually make good decisions instead of just filling seats with people that seem to have only been hired because they have a pulse. Give Receptionists more opportunities to feel impactful. Bring back internal advancement opportunities and MORE additional responsibilities, not less so you can can squeeze more calls out of them.

"I love my job!"

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ruby actually cares about their employees! This ranges from great benefits to free on-site fitness classes, weekly treats, to competitive pay. Receptionists get to meet with their manager at least every two weeks and receive regular feedback so you always know where you stand.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are extremely competitive! It may take several applications and interviews before you're promoted.

Advice to Management

Open up more opportunities for Receptionists to provide feedback on company initiatives! We are the biggest employee group and the ones providing Ruby service, such an untapped resource!

Ruby Receptionists Response

Nov 22, 2017 – Director of Employee Engagement

Thrilled to hear that you love your job! Thanks for sharing what you appreciate most about working at Ruby. :-). We also hear you on creating more avenues and opportunities to people-power our... More