Ruby Receptionists Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Ruby Receptionists Founder & CEO Jill Nelson
Jill Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good health benefits that get better all the time" (in 5 reviews)

• "They are driven by their core values and keep them in mind whenever it comes to any decision making" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "I think it's important to realize though that this is just a really nice, pleasant call center" (in 12 reviews)

• "The budget no longer considers the well-being of the employees, but getting more sales" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time

Pros

Vertically integrated company with lots of opportunity to advance or move laterally. Good health benefits that get better all the time. 401k matching. Commitment to providing all employees a living wage. Fun, positive work environment. The work is challenging and rewarding, and the company has implemented new strategies to help employees see how their work contributes directly to the success of the organization. I trust the leadership team and the direction they’ve taken Ruby over the years. It has been a great experience overall and my decision to take that first job as a receptionist years ago was one of the best life choices I’ve ever made.

Cons

They have your normal, low level, run of the mill dysfunctions that are present at every company. Honestly, I can’t think of anything that is a big enough deal to write here.

"Not for everyone"

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, easy work, good if you just need something while searching for your actual career

Cons

After a couple of years, I had to escape the somewhat cultish workplace that is Ruby. When describing this dead end job to colleagues today, I often refer to it as a human meat factory. Vulgar, but very true.

"I love Ruby"

Current Employee - Receptionists
    Current Employee - Receptionists

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’d like to start off by saying that I’m so suprised by all the recent reviews about Ruby. I don’t think these recent reviews reflect how the majority of how Ruby’s feel.

1. The Ruby culture is fantastic. You’re genuienly surrounded by some of the most passionate, caring people who sincerely want to watch you grow.
    2. Ruby is full of opportunities to grow. It’s encouraged in so many ways. Quarterly goals, quarterly CASH prizes to incentivize. They’re working on an internship program for Ruby’s who want to expand into different departments, the list goes on and on with how Ruby wants to encourage your growth. I’ve never been belittled for a mess up, either. Every “mistake” is a moment to grow and ruby understands that.
    3. There are endless benifits. Vacation package, animal insurance, medical and dental insurance, long term and short term disability. Honestly the list continues to grow.
    4. There’s free coffee everyday and free food especially on Mondays.
    5. There’s amazing parties.
    6. You can elect to leave early if you want to.
    7. Holidays off, Monday-Friday. Set schedules.
    8. Pretty good pay
    9. 5 week paid subatical at your 5 year mark !

Cons

1. Their sick policy is a little odd. I understand they’re a company and profit is important and such. But let’s just say someone basically vomitted in front of me the other day and I’m sure she either didn’t have sick time or her cultivator asked “are you sure you can’t stick it out?”— what I’m saying is, if you don’t have PTO ( which is lumped with your sick time) you’re not going home without a warning.
    2. Granted I noted that the pay was good above, but with minimum wage growing and cost of living being insane— people are still struggling.
    3. The job itself is ... hard. It can be really fulfilling with wowing customers and callers but they don’t give your much time to do it. You’re constantly worried about managing your stats while trying to write these detailed specific messages or hitting the calls needed in a day. It’s 100% doable but it’s stressful sometimes.

Advice to Management

1. Can we please revisit the PTO/Swell time situation.
    2. More time for WOWing, please!
    3. Maybe a raise?

"Receptionist"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Portland, OR

I worked at Ruby Receptionists full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office space, benefits, good training and descent pay for a very easy call center job

Cons

The culture is insane here. They try to make everyone into this peppy character on and off the phone. I felt like I couldn’t be myself at all and the whole environment felt extremely fake/exaggerated

"A confusing company that doesn't know what it stands for or wants anymore"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is always clean and well decorated, making it easy to get into whatever holiday season it is that time of the year. Most, if not all, of your teammates will be friendly and easy to get along with. They do make a big deal of decorating your desk all out for birthdays and your hiring anniversary making sure to personalize it to your interests and hobbies, so you feel a bit special. The recently added discount on pet insurance was a nice addition to their benefits.

Cons

- The receptionist role is tough and unforgiving. There has been a rise recently in clients hiring Ruby and using the "no call connect" service, meaning the client does not want you to contact them and to only take messages for them. This leads to some callers repeatedly calling because the client never returns the call, sometimes for weeks. You'll be demeaned and insulted by callers because you aren't able to truly help them in any tangible way.

- Lack of support from the RS (Receptionist Support) staff, including your team leads. In October of 2018, there was an incident in the downtown office. The staff at that office received time off, trauma counselling, everything they needed. The Beaverton office was expected to carry the excess work for the entire following week and received no support from management or similar trauma counselling. The cultivator team leads are not trained to handle these situations and were unequipped to help the Beaverton receptionists through their needs beyond helping answer calls.

- Others have mentioned the cliquey nature of the management, but that is truly there. If a team lead or manager does not like you, they will find any way they can to lead you to leave on your own or ultimately fire you. This may happen through unhelpful coaching, gossiping, or ganging up with another cultivator to make sure you know they want you gone.

- The work load. With the sudden increase in business, I saw my call stats go from 194-200 calls a day to well over 250-300, with no time to breathe between calls, told to get my availability/productivity down from 80% to 70%, expected to keep my call times low, but then warned about keeping my off the phone time (No ACD and BRB) low to minimum. It was an impossible balance to figure out. It was made especially more difficult when they introduced 7Geese, a new ~transparent way of seeing everyone in the company's goals and progress. A fancy corporate tracking system of what you're doing each quarter. Receptionists are expected to write their own quarterly goals, including "child objectives" with measurable results, update them, schedule bi-weekly meetings with team leads and prepare notes for each meeting - all between calls. You are not allowed to do this on breaks or lunch as those are not company time, but you cannot request time off the phones to do this. This is asking too much of your receptionists for how little they are paid.

- General concerns. In my time with Ruby, Jill has started to sell to shareholders who have more say in the company and what type of clients they accept as well as how many. Ruby now has over 8000 clients, many of whom do not match Ruby's outlook (Republican candidate donation groups, gun and rifle manufacturers, etc). When concerned receptionists spoke up and explained they were uncomfortable answering for these clients, the concerns were met with nonchalance and that Ruby "did not see any conflict" and encouraged receptionists uncomfortable to continue taking the calls. A lot of Ruby's receptionist staff are LGBT and this rightfully concerns them.

- There is inconsistency across the board of what is expected. Some team leads will hammer down specific call stats and expectations, while another team lead doesn't bat an eye and only cares about the accuracy of your calls. It can be confusing when speaking with a coworker on another team not having the same work expectations as you. This may also cause problems further on if you are trying to advance in the company at all.

- Work/life balance is difficult if you have any kind of life outside of work. There is a confusing wording with quarterly staff meetings. You'll be told they are not mandatory, but you still have to let your team lead know you aren't coming. Either say they're mandatory, or truly don't make receptionists have to account for their absence. If you're part of a celebration committee (the receptionist on your team responsible for decorating desks for birthdays/anniversaries), you'll often have to either come in early or stay late to do this for the occasion, and it will be unpaid.

Advice to Management

Please consider Ruby's roots and what you sell the company as to new hires and live by it. Shareholders do not make or break the company - it is your bottom line receptionists. They are being told one thing when they're hired and facing a reality of something completely different once they're on the floor. When promoting a receptionist to cultivator, don't just look at their stats and their results - speak to others in the office to get a read on their attitudes and how they treat the people around them beyond just their close friends.

Ruby Receptionists Response

Nov 9, 2018 – Founder and CEO

Dear Reviewer,
    Thank you for the time you spent as a receptionist with Ruby. To hear how you personally experienced some of our recent challenges will help us learn as we go forward. And your... More

"It's what you make of it--but not for everyone."

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Upper management really freaking cares about us, especially the CEO. That's hard to see if you don't interact with them much, so I guess that's something they could improve on. Though, I'm not sure how.

* Tons of growth opportunities. Most jobs are posted internally only, meaning that the company invests in its people. Customer Happiness (Customer Support) and Office Experience (office managers) roles hire most often, partially because of high turnover lately. That's starting to die down, though. If you are able to communicate your interests/strengths/career goals with your manager, they can support you in achieving them. I think many employees expect promotions/opportunities, but you really do have to seek them out and work hard for them.

* Decent starting pay and time off - $15.25 starting for our 300ish entry-level employees is pretty damn good. Every employee has the same PTO ("Swell Time") accrual. Pay and PTO could/should be higher, but given the job market this is competitive.

* Tons of perks and benefits like:
       - snacks (weekly treat or a snack shelf depending on the office)
       - a $100 per year "culture fund" for every employee to spend on something to make the office better or to create community with their coworkers
       - a paid 5-week sabbatical after 5 years with the company including a $1,000 grant
       - an annual game "RubyLand," which incentivizes employees to live out our core values at work and at home and rewards employees with points for prizes (cool ones like speakers, hotel stays, gift cards, even raffle tickets for 40 hrs of PTO)
       - Wellness campaigns for folks interested in improving their finances, fitness (weekly fitness classes employees can take on the clock), emotional wellbeing, etc.
       - Annual "Rubyversary" gift on your work anniversary (Ruby hoodies this year, Bluetooth speakers last year)
       - Ridiculously good parties/events. Winter party has free beer, wine, and sometimes champagne. Some folks complain about there being too much partying, but honestly we're a young company and if you're going to a winter party full of millennials, expect drinking.
       - Awards everywhere, usually paired with cash!
       - Quarterly profit sharing, including a typically larger profit share at the end of the year.
       - $300 bonus for referring an employee who stays for 90 days.

Cons

* Our entry level job, Receptionist, can be taxing. It's ~200-250 phone calls (about 1.5 mins each), five days a week. I think it's important to realize though that this is just a really nice, pleasant call center. If you go into the role understanding that, you'll be gold.

* Customer Happiness should be paid more and have a larger team.

* It's an overwhelmingly white company. I've heard employees of color say that feels isolating and that we're not working hard enough to hire more diversity, and I have to agree.

* THE INSURANCE is Providence, terrible for reproductive help, alternative care, mental health, trans healthcare. Switching providers is complicated but so necessary.

* Certain departments are incredibly overworked and going through constant change, and as a company I don't think that's recognized enough.

Advice to Management

Growth is a huge core value for us, especially over the last few years. However...look at taking better care of our people. Take a pulse on which departments are struggling and really think about how we can do something about it. If we can refocus to take better care of our people (like we have before, as part of the Ruby story), I think we'll be in better shape. I believe in this place.

"Par for the Course for a Call Center"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Ruby Receptionists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent starting pay and consistent, if small, pay raises.

Cons

There was a point in time where Ruby believed that happy employees were successful employees. That is no longer true or they no longer care.

They've lost touch with their own culture and were implementing all sorts of "new" and "innovative" changes that were very standard for call centers. They will try to tell you they aren't a call center and they aren't a call service and it is blatantly just not true.

Some of the content you have to talk about with callers is very heavy and emotionally draining and there is no time given to decompress and no support provided. People will tell you they are dying, or the terrible tragedy in their lives. You will be yelled at AT LEAST once a day if not more because statistically, if you answer 200+ calls a day you're going to talk to someone mad. You will have to listen to people cry or hold back tears while you can do essentially nothing to help.

Every terrible thing you read in the other negative reviews on here is true. Someone close to me still works there and just the thought of having to go back gives them panic attacks and nightmares because of the pressure placed on you to meet whatever arbitrary metric they have decided is important that quarter while ensuring they get every possible second of work out of you while you're on the clock No amount of growth matters and no amount of productivity. You can do more and they will expect it.

The culture is a joke, I'm sure at one point the culture really was everything they will promise, and for some people it still is, but the company itself is doing nothing to continue to support that culture. They talk the talk but no longer walk the walk. That being said, they absolutely will still use your ability to fit in or uphold the culture as an excuse to deny you promotions or weed you out if your manager has decided they don't like you working there.

The attendance policy is unaccommodating and terrible even for a call center.

Advice to Management

There's nothing low or even mid-level management can do. I understand that the company was essentially acquired, something that was insufficiently disclosed to the employees, and many of these changes are far above the heads of anyone who cares how the employees fell.

"Has potential"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists (More than a year)

Pros

Monday munchies were fine. But they don’t let you leave your desk for it so makes no sense

Cons

Management. Everyone gossiped and it was super unprofessional. Front desk talked the most crap and made fun of Almost everyone. They all date with in the company and joked about sleeping together in the nap room...disgusting!!!!

Advice to Management

Stop acting like high schoolers and gossiping all the time. They all date in the office and bring that drama to work,

"Cult That Will Fire You For Not Fitting In"

I worked at Ruby Receptionists full-time

Pros

I loved this job until they fired me for no reason.

Cons

Fired for no reason. Favoritism. Managers who have no idea what they're doing. As others have said, cult type feel. Very creepy.

"a fine place to figure out what you want to do next"

I have been working at Ruby Receptionists full-time

Pros

decent pay for regular shifts in a fun office with benefits.

Cons

soul-sucking work
    kind of a cult

Advice to Management

be less of a cult