KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated Oct 12, 2021

Found 232 of over 236 reviews

Ruby CEO Kate Winkler
Kate Winkler
Pros
  • "The leadership continues to develop and provide excellent examples for receptionists(in 20 reviews)

• "Consistent, good pay scale, great benefits, forward thinking company, inclusive(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You talk to frustrated callers many times a day(in 33 reviews)

• "As an example, when I started Ruby pushed hard to have their receptionists meet stats(in 32 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ruby and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Great place to work

Oct 11, 2021 - Ruby in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have been exceptionally lenient with my schedule as one thing after the other has happened.

Cons

High call volumes on a red floor, which is often

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Sep 4, 2021 - Receptionist in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits Schedule Starting pay Co-workers Progressive policies

Cons

You will burn out. You will burn out fast. Why? Because even though you get lots of time off, you can never use it. Why? Because it is so busy that there is 0 time between calls and employees call out often. Why? See sentence number one. This place is fake. They pretend they care about you but they absolutely do not. Do not be fooled. You are a number. They have a revolving door. You receive less than two weeks of training which is not enough to prepare for the actual job. And then if you mess up even a little, it’s on you. Regardless of how little you were taught. People will yell at you. People will give you panick attacks. People will talk to you for several minutes and you will get in trouble for that too because your calls should be less than two minutes each. You will take 200 calls a day. Most of which are from upset callers. Just do yourself a favor and take advantage of the current job market and look elsewhere. There are plenty of better opportunities.

16 people found this review helpful

Current Employee, more than 1 year

Could be worse?

Oct 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent starting hourly wage Great coworkers Interesting concept

Cons

Poor follow through on large issues Toxic positivity culture Occasionally mind numbing

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

You'll notice most of the postive reviews are from management. Being a receptionist is awful.

Sep 2, 2021 - Receptionist in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

10/10 for inclusivity and use of proper pronouns. Wonderful coworkers who quickly become lifelong friends and absolutely deserve better than this place.

Cons

It is a GRIND. When I was hired I was promised breathing room between calls, but it was basically red floor my entire employment. Management blamed receptionists at every corner and refused to turn that mirror on themselves to see where THEY were failing. I've never felt so unsupported. The burnout was real. I really have nothing nice to except that my fellow teammates were rad and the place is super inclusive I also never got an approved day off because their scheduling department is trash. I had to just call in sick when I had doctor's appointments. I ended up quitting on a final warning for attendance. I've never had an issue with attendance at any job before or since.

12 people found this review helpful

Ruby Response

Director of Receptionist Services

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that how inclusive our culture was and that you made lifelong friends during your time at Ruby. Like so many businesses nationwide, we have struggled with staffing issues due to the impacts of the pandemic on employees (mental health, childcare, etc.) and the shortage in the labor market, largely due to job-hopping and seasonal incentives. These staffing issues have caused the pace of calls to be faster than we want for our Receptionists - we know it’s been a very difficult time for our staff and that burnout is real. We’re saddened to hear that you didn’t feel supported during your time at Ruby and encourage all of our team members to voice concerns and share feedback so we can find solutions together. Since last Spring, we have communicated with our team on a bi-weekly basis all of the ways we’re supporting them, including expanding new hire classes, increasing wages and offering additional bonus incentives, relaxing our attendance policy, and establishing a retention and attrition task force. We have also prioritized approving PTO at our target levels despite being understaffed. Our desire and expectation is that our Receptionists have a healthy and sustainable pace of calls so they can take a breath, grab a drink of water, engage with our community, and take PTO or a Wellness day when they want or need it. In the coming weeks, we expect to return to a balanced staffing level and will continue hiring to sustain a staffing buffer so we can maintain this balance for our Receptionists. We truly wish you the best in your next adventure and thank you for your time at Ruby supporting our small business customers.

6. 5.0

A Company that genuinely cares

Jul 7, 2021 - Services Coach in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Celebrates a diverse workforce, relatively flexible schedule, great compensation, friendly work environment, good benefits, and the most supportive management I have ever experienced.

Cons

Ruby has had an incredibly tough year since the pandemic began. Attrition is high, call volume is stressful and there are not enough staff to handle it right now. This is an issue being actively worked on by everyone in the company, from the top to the bottom. When there is enough staff to manage the call volume, it's the most amazing opportunity and the best company I have ever worked for.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It’s a mixed hat

Sep 23, 2021 - Virtual Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty good compensation. Got insurance after 3 months, with vision and dental, a 401k after 6, and there is a structured pay increase for every 6 months.

Cons

When I left there were issues with red floor and it was causing burn out in receptionists.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fine for what it was.

Sep 1, 2021 - Virtual Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun environment. Upbeat staff and people. Downtown location is close to lots of good food.

Cons

Overly focused on availability statistics and getting as much out of you as possible. Likely to feel feel burnt out after a couple of years unless they change their approach.

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0

They are ok.

Oct 12, 2021 - Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

They give alot of raises and bonus's.

Cons

The raises and bonus's are usually due to them making a mistake or going back on a promise.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Better than most

Sep 27, 2021 - Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy, flexible hours, good amount of PTO, remote

Cons

Hard to get promoted, can be very busy

11. 4.0
      Former Employee

Inclusive but Not Perfect

Aug 25, 2021 - Customer Support Specialist in Wichita, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Loved the inclusivity of pronouns, and fun little anniversaries. Decent pay. Remote work is a benefit.

Cons

Timed by the minute. Bound by statisitics that make it difficult to have any flexibility. Micromanaging is the main reason I left.

2 people found this review helpful