Ruby Tuesday Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 26, 2017
1,081 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,081 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Very flexible schedule - you can literally work anytime that you want (in 68 reviews)

• Very good food and as well as a very flexible schedule (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • The recent upper management plan (in 58 reviews)

• long hours, hard to find good people (in 29 reviews)

1. "the salad bar sells itself"

Former Employee - Server in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Server in Lincoln, NE

Pros

Job was easy, pretty low expectations, typical restaurant working experience.

Cons

Open on all holidays, too much competition between servers

2. "server"

Former Employee - Server in New Philadelphia, OH
    Former Employee - Server in New Philadelphia, OH

I worked at Ruby Tuesday (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are helpful
    good scheduling app

Cons

not busy enough to make money
    poor management
    favoritism

Advice to Management

Get some formal education on management

3. "Not the Best Food Industry Job..."

Former Employee - Server in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Server in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Giving credit where credit is due, they were very accommodating when it came to working with my school schedule and tried very hard to get me on the schedule if I needed more hours.

Cons

I didn't feel like management supported the servers as well as they should have. I was once made to serve a party of 30 guest in by myself. They trickled in 1/2 at time. Making it very difficult to get everyones orders out around the same time. I received no help from the manager who sat in her office the whole time. The bill ended up being over $400, I received a $1.25 tip, and the manager's dismissive attitude was disappointing.

Advice to Management

Help your servers! Especially if you know that in a crunch you had to seat them with a very large party and couldn't get anyone else to assist them. You have a key for the POS system. Help take orders, help run food, do something!

5. "server"

Current Employee - Server in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Server in Denver, CO

Pros

You make decent money and it's a good first job.

Cons

Cons it is managed poorly and go on false waits.

Advice to Management

Be more encouraging and open to new ideas. Don't micro manage.

6. "My Time as a Hostess and Server"

Former Employee - Server/Hostess in Bedford, VA
    Former Employee - Server/Hostess in Bedford, VA

I worked at Ruby Tuesday (More than a year)

Pros

The managers at my restaurant were all really great and caring. I worked hard and earned their respect and trust. My work evaluation meeting was really good; I earned 97 points out of 100 because I did my job well.
    This is a really good chance to work with other people as a team and to talk and get to know people.
    When you make friends with the people you work with, many laughs make the experience so much more enjoyable.
    There is a 25% discount on food that servers order.
    It's nifty to be cross-trained, increasing your chances of being able to pick up shifts when needed.

Cons

Small areas typically result in very slow afternoons between lunch and dinner where you don't have much opportunity to make anything over the $2 and change for being a server.
    Many of my co-workers would sit around on their phones between tables or while waiting for the orders to cook; it was not very professional.
    The playlist is too short to be on loop.

Advice to Management

Notice who is giving their all and who is slacking to make others make up for his or her work. With the shift of hosts having to bus tables now, some servers won't even do the basic dish removal, which they are supposed to and which is very helpful to the already busy hosts.

7. "Its ok."

Current Employee - Waitress in Fayetteville, GA
    Current Employee - Waitress in Fayetteville, GA

Pros

Friendly environment, especially with co-workers. Everyone works as a team to make sure customers are satisfied. Regular customer helps with getting bigger tips. Once you get all the basics down, working is easy.

Cons

Sometimes its a hassle to work on a presumed slow days that gets unexpectedly busy because of being short staffed. Mandatory to work on valentine's day or mother's day when restaurant will PACKED. The occasional rude guests or guest that don't tip well or tip at all. Some days can be so slow that you have to be cut off from work earlier than you were supposed to be.

8. "Unorganized & disrespectful."

Former Employee - Hostess in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Hostess in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount's nice--50% on days you work, 25% on days you don't. The food's good, it really is.

Cons

I'm not even sure where to begin. I'm a hard worker. I may not be book-smart, but I'm capable of doing great on the job. I was there a full year, give or take a few days. I worked hard, ridiculous hours, I was never late, never missed a day, came in the several times an employee called off last minute, picked up everyone's slack, & did my job thoroughly.
    At my particular store, most of the people I worked with were fine, got along with them great. The GM however was awful. She would play nice with you when she felt like it. She'd get on my case for every little thing. She was disorganized & selfish. I ended up leaving because of her. I needed to change my availability after a full year of being completely open (with the exception of one weekday evening). She wouldn't have it, even though she told everyone it was a good time to turn in new availability. I worked damn hard, & she threatened to fire me because my availability reasons weren't good enough for her. So, I held my tongue & put in my notice a week later.
    Really, unless you're desperate like I was a year ago, I wouldn't even bother.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. If employees have to request time off three weeks in advance, then you need to post schedules two-three weeks in advance. Not 3-6 days.

9. "Potential not being met"

Current Employee - Operating Partner in Daphne, AL
    Current Employee - Operating Partner in Daphne, AL

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

lots of opportunity to grow, good leadership, training, development, revamped, getting serious about winning in the business

Cons

no quality of life, no patience for mistakes, pay people what they are worth

Advice to Management

listen to those closest to the action, problems didnt happen over night and will not change over night.

10. "Expo,dishwasher"

Former Employee - Expo in East Point, GA
    Former Employee - Expo in East Point, GA

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time

Pros

It's okay to work here. Just make sure you try to get along with the manger.

Cons

Down side if the manger doesn't like you. You will not get any answers.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees.

11. "Lots of hours, no organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No shortage of hours, mostly good coworkers, discounts on food, easy to learn on the job, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

No organization at all whatsoever. They're nice people (mostly), but they have no clue how to run a restaurant. They hire like crazy because they're understaffed and people keep quitting. There are no bussers here, so hosts do it all, which means if it gets crazy, some tables won't get bussed quickly because the hosts are so busy.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees! Don't just hire people because you're desperate... That's why people leave so quickly: nobody is committed and those who are get burnt out. Also, organize better! If people say they can't work certain days/times, listen! Most people are working two jobs here and aren't just being arbitrary in their schedules.

Showing 1,081 of 1,086 reviews