KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Ruby

Is this your company?

Ruby

Add a Review

Ruby Employee Reviews about "receptionists"

Updated Sep 11, 2020

Found 45 of over 239 reviews

Ruby CEO Kate Winkler
Kate Winkler
Pros
  • "The leadership continues to develop and provide excellent examples for receptionists(in 20 reviews)

• "Consistent, good pay scale, great benefits, forward thinking company, inclusive(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You talk to frustrated callers many times a day(in 33 reviews)

• "As an example, when I started Ruby pushed hard to have their receptionists meet stats(in 32 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ruby and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "receptionists"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

This company cares about people!

Aug 11, 2020 - Receptionist in Beaverton, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

I think the infrastructure of the company is fantastic! There are a lot of dynamics to having a good experience with any company. Besides the company caring about you, being successful here at Ruby is a balance with your ability to adhere to attendance guideline and your work/home balance, your mental health, and your ability to give/take feedback. I've been working for Ruby for over four years now. Ruby's core values spoke to me the moment I heard them. They are Grow, Happiness, Community, WOWism and Innovation. I see Ruby caring for all people. When I say ALL people, I am referring to their employees, customers, customer's customers and the community outside Ruby. We have a great philanthropy program with matching donation and paid volunteer time. Recently, Rubys got to vote to donate $20,000 to a Don't Shoot PDX. We were given a day to think/celebrate Juneteenth. This meant the world to me! I especially LOVE that diversity is encouraged! I love the great pay, benefits, incentives, culture, and even the fast paced environment. I feel challenged and rewarded daily. I have zero desire to move beyond being a receptionist at this point. I have had one written warning for my attendance during my time. Overall, I am a highly independent, introspective and a dependable Ruby. I feel valued and appreciated as a team player.

Cons

I am in my mid 40's now. Over my lifetime, I have seen far too many companies care more about the bottom dollar and not about the people they employ. It's important to keep in mind that we often learn from our mistakes. Since Ruby values growth, it takes good hard looks at mistakes and grows from them. As an example, when I started Ruby pushed hard to have their receptionists meet stats. I remember feeling anxiety every single day while pushing myself. Along the way leadership realized this pressure created a negative impact on everyone and the expectations were lowered. I know this made me feel so much better about just being human. In the past there was a push to be positive and cheerful all the time. I know it's something we have been moving away from. It's simply not possible to be cheerful all the time. I see Rubys that are most successful as ones that are able to understand that we all have difficult times but we cannot ruminate in them. It's important to acknowledge a negative and try to feel inspired to go beyond. That's not easy to do. Sometimes it takes rolling up your sleeves and putting in the work. Ruby is not a perfect company, but it is one that grows! They want to create growth, community, happiness, WOWism and innovation on the daily. I feel like this is rare to find in a large company.

4 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0

chillax

Sep 11, 2020 - Receptionist in Beaverton, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

insurance benefits, compensation, time off, reimbursement opportunities, raises, a company that at least tries to care. I've worked at Ruby for 2 years as a receptionist and I've seen it weather a lot of different issues and changes in that time and through all of it, the company has continued to care about its employees. There have been no layoffs, extreme efforts to reasonably accommodate employees, transparent and OVER communication, and a strong effort to be flexible. Truly, I'm in awe over the efforts that this company has gone to, to ensure we have job security and are taken care of. Coaching calls is example of a specific issue that management heard our feedback and changed because of it. These were calls where coaches from another center would call in as fake companies and "test" you to make sure you were handling calls accurately. It felt very deceptive and was way too subjective, and they weren't even of much help because coaches had a required amount they had to do, so all the calls were basic and didn't allow for many learning opportunities. Through a process of several months and many meetings and requests for feedback, they did away with coaching calls and came up with a much more objective and standardized way of auditing random calls and getting us feedback. I understand a lot of people are upset that annual raises, etc are on hold while we and the company make it through COVID but I'll be frank. I don't care. Yes, pay raises are a nice incentive. But at $17.75/hr I make more now than I did as a manager at a multi-million dollar company for 6 years. In the six years I worked there I was given 2 raises, one was $0.10 and the other was $0.25. I never made it over $17/hr. I'm not saying that's fair or that we shouldn't expect raises or fair compensation as the standard of living increases, but I want to put our situation in perspective. Fellow employees have also complained about the donation of $20K to BLM, and to that I want to remind people that a one time donation of a large sum is NOT comparable to a sustained and annual wage increase of a dollar/hr for 500-1000 employees. Those do not equal out. I think that the reality is that this is a company, and companies are not people, but upper management are people and they are doing their best to remain human and considerate of the bottom rung employees. Taking calls is difficult right now, but for employees who are proactive about what they need, they are being very accommodating with flexible schedules, leave of absences, adjustment in stats requirements.

Cons

tedious, emotionally taxing, numbers driven. It's a job. It's a pretty call center and this job is not for everyone. I think a lot of people start here thinking that it's just a "answer calls, transfer them, take a message" and move on, but you actually need to be focused and invested in your callers without taking things too personally, which is a difficult thing for a lot of people to do. Callers are frustrating and unhelpful and can be mean and difficult and that takes a toll mentally and emotionally. There are good and friendly callers and people who are nice, but it is challenging for that to make up for the amount of people who will call you an idiot for not being able to tell them what year the company they're calling started. Maintaining a separation of work/life balance is difficult while working from home. When I started out I had major anxiety about calls for 6-9 months, but then once that passed it gave way to boredom and burnout, because your job never changes. There are opportunities to be a chat specialist or call connector for part of your day, but I can't speak on it because I haven't done it, so all I can comment on is that taking calls for 8 hours can be really boring. Coaches/direct managers are also hit or miss, and it all depends on how you mesh with them as an individual, and unfortunately there is not current way to "match" you to a manager that suits your style of being managed. It can definitely make or break your experience. Also if you hate being micromanaged, this is not the place for you. Every minute of your day is accounted for (on a call, after call work, lunch, break, meeting, BRB, tech issues) and you are hyper aware of how much time you are "wasting." You also have to meet with your manager bi-weekly to work on goals that you make up because you have to, not because you're actually trying to work on anything. I've also heard that experiences also depend on which location you are at. Also if you work outside of Oregon, the base pay starts lower due to the "cost of living," which sucks. Currently we are in a red-floor which means we have more callers than we have people to answer the calls, which is definitely a challenge. Management is doing their best to hire, but it's difficult to beat the amount of turn over and the amount people who need to call businesses. Unfortunately there is not much else that can be done for instant gratification.

6 people found this review helpful

Current Employee, less than 1 year

Out of Touch

Aug 11, 2020 - Virtual Receptionist in Beaverton, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

My coach is fantastic. I have heard horror stories of others but I can’t say one bad thing about mine. They are a great leader. Consistent hours Benefits fellow receptionists are great support and great friends

Cons

We are grossly underpaid for the amount of labor we are putting into this company. Covid 19 has completely deconstructed the way we perform the job as well as how we handle both the abuse from callers and the negligence of upper management. On one hand I commend upper management as what we are dealing with is a bad hand of cards for anyone. Everyone is stressed everyone is scared. But simultaneously the situations we have faced have made it even clearer to me that upper management is out of touch with the bottom line. In fact, I have decided to write this review in a response to one of Kate’s many daily messages asking us “what’s up with the Glassdoor reviews?” Like really? That’s what you are worrying about right now? I did not even care to check until she mentioned it. But here I am contributing to what I believe is the truth and if Kate and anyone else in high management had any true integrity, they would look at this review and understand that it’s not all peaches and cream. I know they are trying to get new hires on board but I don’t think that they realize that the turnaround is going to increase without the office culture to give the Nubys more reason to stick around. Instead they just get to deal with rude callers and self important people that think they are above you and your pay grade. There is a stench of elite liberalism within this company which is ironic when you consider the amount of customers we take calls for that don’t align at all with Ruby’s core values or the political beliefs that Ruby pretends to preach. Not to mention the numerous people we take calls for that NEVER call back their callers and YOU get to be the person that has to deal with their rage. I once had a customer make a racist remark about a caller on the other line and I don’t believe anything was ever done about it. Doesn’t matter though when the cash flows into Ruby’s pockets. There’s just so much garbage that we are dealing with and most of it has already been detailed in the many reviews on here. I just wanted to voice my opinion on this platform as upper management is trying their hardest to make these “negative” reviews seem phony when in fact I would imagine all the positive reviews have come from those who have received promotions during this difficult time. Oh yes that’s funny. People getting promotions when the rest of us can’t get time off without calling out or when our wages have completely stagnated. They’ve offered a carrot in front of the head with a tentative date but I don’t believe it.

17 people found this review helpful

CEO

Hello, First, I want to recognize the pain that you’re speaking to in your review. You are right, there is fear and stress everywhere in our world right now with the worsening COVID crisis, friends, family and colleagues still fighting for basic human rights, the divisiveness within in our communities, and the isolation of working from home. All of this threatens our sense of safety and security and takes a tremendous toll on our mental health. As soon as COVID became a reality in our local communities, our first and most important step after getting everyone working from home was to build a plan that would allow us to weather the COVID storm for the long term while maintaining stable employment and current wages for our team members. This came with some difficult decisions including wage and bonus freezes. Despite the continued pressures of a prolonged pandemic and economic downturn, we did make the decision to move forward with annual wage increases for our hourly employees in late September. While the Receptionist role is demanding, we recognize that the stress within our communities has caused an increase in negative callers. Our Receptionists are always encouraged and empowered to hang up if a caller becomes abusive. We also have an escalation process to report abusive calls and we monitor for trends. If we find a pattern of abusive calls, we will work with our customer towards a solution and are prepared to end the relationship if needed. We are also offering additional resilience training to our Receptionists to manage through our current environment. As your review stated, we were hiring many new Rubys over the summer to help us fill the staffing gap due to our employees needing to work less because of COVID impacts. Many of our Executive and Senior leadership team members were regularly taking calls to support the floor while we ramped up remote hiring and onboarding. To address your mention of promotions, we have remained committed to investing in career development for our employees. As we backfill vacancies and build out new positions, we are doing so with an eye on promoting internal employees into open roles first. The reason we brought attention to Glassdoor is that while we know some of our Rubys feel more comfortable expressing their concerns in anonymous forums, it is difficult to act on this feedback and have the hard conversations that result in true change. We also felt that the representation on Glassdoor was out of balance with the positive feedback we hear from so many employees every day. That said, we encourage everyone to share their honest opinions and experiences. Communication and feedback loops are critical, and I hope you consider signing up for one of my office hours sessions so I can listen and understand your concerns directly. We truly believe that Ruby culture transcends beyond our physical office spaces. As energizing and bright as they may be, it’s the kindness and care, the desire to make meaningful connections with others, and the desire to help our struggling small business communities get through this pandemic – that’s the Ruby spirit that makes our culture so special and so strong. I hope your experience has improved since writing this review and I welcome the chance to connect in person. Kate

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

As the company grows, it becomes bigger.

Aug 11, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

The reviews I've read about Ruby are honestly largely perception, and while perception is reality not all perceptions are fact. Benefits Pay Insurance Support Culture Transparency As a long time Ruby who started before we even hit 200 employees to today where we're pushing 700, I can say things have changed. Ruby isn't the small upstart of 10 years ago, it's not even the small 200 employee company of 5 years ago. However, communication from receptionists/chat specialists to CEO and vice versa has improved leaps and bounds. Transparency has improved. The focus of the company and each department has improved. And this is just in the 5+ years that I've worked here. While people are emotional, so it's normal that folks are going to have something to say when they feel wronged, if you have the ability to not take business decisions personally you'll find a great place to work.

Cons

There's always room for improvement and diversity is a key piece.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A call center that tries and fails to be more

Aug 26, 2020 - Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is adequate, PTO accrues quickly if you've been there a while. Most bottom-of-the-rung receptionists are just good people trying to survive.

Cons

Ruby is a lie. This isn't an uncommon trait in employers, especially call centers, but it is especially notable here. Ruby is a "family" in the same way that a "family" will throw a child out on the streets if they come home with a bad report card. It is a place where everyone I personally spoke to was suffering under the crushing weight of the job but had to smile and pretend otherwise lest they be reprimanded by a management team desperately trying to uphold a false image. It is a place of masks and deceptions where the truths of the day to day are hidden away. At Ruby, receptionists are expected to be an emotional-abuse sponge. We are expected to make ourselves available as much as possible to absorb the barbs, insults, and negativity of callers that Ruby's customers are paying the company not to have to deal with. This issue has existed since I joined the company and has yet to have a real solution. The salves offered by corporate are temporary things that do nothing to help the fundamentally broken foundation of Ruby's business practice. The abuse is wrapped up in a bow and presented to workers as an "opportunity to make someone's day," or "a growth experience," while the long-term effects of such abuses within the context of a 40-hour work week are ignored or otherwise dolled up as a positive. Managers and executives will try to be your friend only to turn on you the second your usefulness starts to wane, all pretense of being a real, empathetic human being gone in a flash. Numbers and statistics are king at Ruby, and the supposed friendliness is only a tool to tease better performance out of its workers as opposed to a genuine emotion. It doesn't matter if you're delivering the best service in the world: if you go a little under your availability requirement, you're in trouble. There are good people at Ruby, lulled in by the promise of something more than just another call center, the promise of a place that tries to move past the unsustainable nature of the business model, a place that cares, but they are exhausted and worn. Unless you are exactly the kind of person who can keep up Ruby's image and facade, there is no advancement opportunity for you within this company. It is a dead-end job, albeit a very shiny one with good marketing. In a world of Covid-19, Ruby performs even worse. They’re woefully understaffed and under equipped to handle quarantine. They cut raises, cut bonuses, and double down on the work ethic. Just take calls, just keep working. You don’t matter; your performance does. Your performance is all that matters, even amidst a sea of struggling co-workers. If you must work at Ruby, do not stay long. Trust your fellow receptionists, but do not believe for a second that management has your best interests at heart. They will use you for everything you have then throw you away. For all its self-aggrandizing posturing, Ruby is just another call center. This was my experience; do with it what you will.

17 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Current Employee

Cue the staged positive reviews! (DON’T BE FOOLED)

Aug 12, 2020 - Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Health, Dental, 401K benefits -Pretty offices that we don’t get to work in.

Cons

Candidly, I have been holding off on writing this review for years. Partially because I want to be absolutely certain that I am painting a very, very clear picture of what Ruby as a company has turned into, and partially for fear of retaliation. Like many other reviewers, I’m not even sure where to begin but I’m going to do my best to cover my bases. BELIEVE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS. They are spot-on 98% of the time. Ruby used to be an incredible company to work for. This place was my home away from home. A safe place where I felt supported and cared about. That’s not what this place is anymore. Don’t be fooled by the positive reviews you see now from people who have been with the company for 5 minutes and are still being sold on the wonderful company that Ruby used to be 5+ years ago. Give it a couple months. I can see why new hires feel obligated to write a positive review. The current CEO has pushed for positive reviews since nearly the day she stepped into her beautifully decorated office. (notice the influx of positive reviews from late 2019 to early 2020.) and now again (all from yesterday and today) because she decided to once again address the company about the recent negative Glassdoor reviews is discourage everyone from using this platform as a place to vent for fear that they won’t be able to hire enough staff to cover the staffing problems that Ruby created by not taking care of their people. Turnover is OUTRAGEOUS at this point. Glassdoor is a place to speak our TRUTH so that job candidates know what they’re getting themselves into. Now that reviews can no longer be removed (as they were previously) we are being encouraged to only leave positive reviews. We. Are. DROWNING. It is NOT safe to voice our concerns at Ruby because favoritism and retaliation run rampant and management (mostly our clique-y, catty, gossipy, under-qualified “coaches” are extremely toxic and will absolutely destroy your character behind your back.) Coaches are like the kids in school who used to be picked on and know how awful it can be (because they were once receptionists as well) but have since become popular and let it all go to their heads. They have a holier-than-thou attitude and presence and don’t give a damn whether or not you’re suffering because they don’t have to anymore. Proceed cautiously and sugarcoat EVERYTHING If you want to stay employed. I highly recommend that you do not vent to anyone who may see your views as negative energy. You will be deemed “not the right fit”. I’ve seen it happen a hundred times. This is a cult, not a company who values your individual opinions and they will only take so much “push-back” as they call it. The words “Expectations” and “Unsustainable” are thrown around like confetti and they are used to micromanage and hold you accountable to their completely unrealistic metrics. These catch-all phrases are used to punish you and make you feel sub-par when being disciplined for being human and needing to take a mental breather from the phone a little too often or when you can’t take calls even if it’s due to tech issues that are out of your control. Don’t bother reaching out to IT either because they’re rarely helpful and consistently seem annoyed by your requests for help. Upper management will respond to raw complaints with a cutesy, “We know things are tough right now but we have such a great community that sticks together!” NO, we are being forced to put your desired profits over our mental health. I have personally been told by my direct manager that when it comes down to it, Ruby is a for profit company and their service comes above all else. That’s very telling. This company does NOT care about you as an individual on any level. Ruby wants you to be a machine. A well-oiled, Stepford wife-esque machine who takes call after call after call all day long without being weighed down by the constant abuse we receive from callers AND our customers. Ask any receptionist what “Ruby tone” is and tell me that their response doesn’t sound cult-like. Pay increases have been “frozen” since March while Ruby is still able to donate $20,000 to an organization supporting BLM. Very strategic move there, Ruby. Always making sure that they look good from an outside perspective. What about your own internal community? The cost of living is HIGH in Portland and you’re just not keeping up. You have employees facing financial crisis. (Continued in the next section...)

32 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A profitable facade

Jul 13, 2020 - Problem Solver and Happiness Maker
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ruby definitely likes to have a polished appearance, which includes lots of material things like fancy offices and lots of parties

Cons

I started as a receptionist and after about three months I was completely emotionally drained from the consistent verbally abusive calls. I had callers who yelled at me, called me names, and in one case, threatened to find me and kill me because I could only take a message and couldn't connect them with the person they were calling. It's widely known among receptionists that it takes a serious emotional toll. So if you go into that job with anxiety or depression, there's a good chance it will get worse. I was promoted to the customer service department just a couple months before I was due for a raise. The increase in pay with the new position was actually less than the raise I would have received in my receptionist role, but I was taking on much more responsibility and stress. Very quickly after I moved into that department, my supervisor made my life a living hell. She was short with me and made me feel stupid for asking questions. I talked to my manager about it, basically to get advice. My manager told me in confidence that this supervisor had received serious "talks" in the past for the same behavior reported by other employees, so she was taking my feedback seriously. When she spoke with my supervisor, she told her I was the person that approached her, even though she promised she wouldn't. That resulted in a surprise one on one meeting with my supervisor who started crying immediately. She didn't apologize and I felt she manipulated me into dismissing her behavior. She later became my manager and things got much worse. She was very passive aggressive and highly critical of my work. I eventually came to dread going to work and having panic attacks on a regular basis. I asked around and found that every person I talked to under her management had the same experience. The people she managed felt bullied and belittled. When brought to the attention of the department head, it was dismissed as an interpersonal conflict that needed to be worked out between us because "feedback goes both ways" without acknowledging the blatant fact that there's a power dynamic that does not make me equal to the person who decides if I get a raise or even keep my job. I left not long after that because I didn't see any potential for improvement. I realized quickly after leaving that the stressed caused by that unhealthy and unprofessional management was having an impact not only on my mental health, but my physical health as well. To this day, 2.5 years later, I still have stress dreams about that manager. Ruby touts itself for providing an excellent employee experience, but in my experience, that is an ongoing external marketing campaign and a very superficial internal effort to keep employees "happy", with no action to back it up besides cupcakes and ping pong tables.

14 people found this review helpful

Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for taking time to write this review. I appreciate hearing your experience, and I’m sorry to hear that yours was not a positive one. That’s not the experience we want for any Ruby. We want to assure you that much has changed in the last 2.5 years, including new leadership and restructuring in our Customer Success department. It’s no secret that the Receptionist role is demanding and because of the industries we serve, calls can be sensitive in nature. Since the time of your departure we’ve refined our call escalation process and we are currently working on other solutions and training to better support Receptionists with these difficult calls. In terms of listening to our employees, we have many avenues, including 1:1 office hours with our five Executive Team members, listening sessions, our Ask Me Anything site for employee questions, and confidential surveys where Rubys are encouraged to share their feedback and experiences anonymously. We very much wish you luck in your future.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Once proud, now regretful

Jul 13, 2020 - Receptionist in Beaverton, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Excellent coworkers - Decent pay - Benefits - Paid leave after working for 5 years

Cons

The scheduling department has consistently made mistakes without any real apology. This includes to over committing to how many people they decided to allow to go on furlough for COVID-19. Approximately 70 or so agents applied for furlough, which has then forced the main staff to be extremely understaffed. As of right now, agents are on calls back to back to back without any real rest, and are held to a normal business standard in spite of the pandemic, the political climate, as well as trying to work from home when it has been a struggle. Main receptionists are overworked and are punished when they try to alleviate the stress by stepping away from their computer for a moment. The current standards they hold people to are ridiculous when so few are meeting them, and management is refusing to accept any criticism of the current matter. This has been ongoing since May 2020, and as such the company is scrambling to hire on new people that I cannot imagine will stay for long. Suffice it to say, the way this company has handled the pandemic is an utter joke. They do not care about their people. They only care about results. Don't expect the company to care about you either. You're just another cog in their machine, and if you don't work they will throw you out. For a time, I really felt like I was cared about, but Ruby's true colors have emerged as of now. Literally they only care about their clients, and I was told as much by my manager when I described my criticisms. Don't expect anything else. I would quit if I could afford to, quite honestly.

15 people found this review helpful

Chief Operating Officer

We appreciate hearing your feedback and we’re sorry that this was your experience—we never want ANY Ruby to feel like a cog in the machine. I would value the opportunity to talk in person to better understand your personal experience and find ways to improve lines of communication and work towards solutions. COVID-19 has continued to impact our business on every front, especially our Receptionist team members. As the impacts of COVID set in last spring, we found ourselves overstaffed by about 30 Receptionists, but were committed to no layoffs or wage reductions. As COVID extended, our team members faced more and more challenges working full time from home. Their ability to work a full schedule decreased and as a result, we had 70 people raise their hands asking for a furlough or leave of absence. At the same time our call volume started to increase and we were only able to approve 8 furlough requests. We now have ample staff to handle our volume, but their ability to work a full-time schedule continues to be compromised. Over the last couple of months, we’ve been hiring new Receptionist classes weekly to increase our capacity and alleviate the pressure on our team, while also continuing to deliver our best in class service standards. Please reach out to me directly, I’d like to hear more about your experience and work towards solutions together.

10. 1.0

Just an Illusion

Jul 9, 2020 - Receptionist in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Paid Sabbatical after 5 years

Cons

I was so excited when I became a Ruby, I was going to get more pay than I have ever had with a job, and the added bonus of benefits was wonderful! We were told that this was a company who cares about their employees First, and we were shown all of the glimmers that Ruby offers. We were promised that we are their backbone and so we will be taken care of and rewarded. Fast forward to today and all of that was complete bull. They promised all of these great perks and a clean office with nice desks, and a nap room, and a full kitchen. They don’t care about their employees at all especially in The times we live now with COVID. Work has become so much more of a stressful place than a safe place. They sent us all to WFH when the pandemic started getting bad in March, but since then life has been even worse. Because of this Pandemic schools were closed and a lot of people were without childcare, like myself. So I had the added stress of watching my toddler and taking calls. They let a lot of people go on furlough, like more than they should have, back at the end of April, beginning of May, and they continued to add new clients. So that low, slow point we had in March because of the Pandemic that lasted through the first week of April was it. After that business picked back up and they added more clients, then they furloughed a whole bunch of people without any kind of system, and a lot of people quit at the same time. So now, not only is this stressful and my anxiety and depression are 100 times worse because of WFH and taking care of my toddler, but they also lost a whole bunch of people while adding new Clients. So the Call Volume has spiked intensely And the few receptionists that couldn’t be furloughed or afford to quit are paying the price. We are literally drowning in the call volume we have everyday, we can’t take a breath, or get up and walk away for a few minutes without being penalized. We are being met with abusive callers non stop, and the stress of the back to back to back calls, is draining on us. They penalize us if we need to step away and take time to breathe or collect ourselves, they penalize us if we get back a minute late from breaks or clock in a minute late to start our shift. It is a joke trying to schedule a day off now to take a mental break, because they aren’t allowing anyone any time off. So we are forced to call in and once your PTO is gone and you call In they write you up. Even though we have a bank full of Unpaid Time Hours they won’t let those be used unless you schedule them two days out. So what are those Unpaid Hours even for if you aren’t going to allow us to use them. Everywhere else that I have worked they have given us a bank of Unpaid hours that were used as emergency hours when we needed to fall back on them if our PTO ran out. It was that way so we as employees would not be Penalized, but that is not the case with Ruby. I also feel like if you are a parent with young children that they find a way to get rid of you. I feel like they are doing that to me now, not only because of that but because I make a lot more money than most of my fellow receptionist, because i have been with the company longer. So they stated that they are cutting costs during this whole WFH pandemic, they took our bonuses and our pay raises, but they donated $20k and continue to bring in new hires. They donated money to a great cause and I’m not bashing that donation, I just don’t think it was the right time to do it. But they are a company that’s puts on Aires to make themselves look good but behind the scenes they are just a horrible company. Their employees are suffering so much but they don’t care, while claiming that they do to the public eye. If you have any kind of disability they Will Not compensate you for it, so you’d better look elsewhere. They will in fact make you fill out endless forms for your doctor to sign and then say they aren’t good enough, or they will tell you you haven’t been with the company long enough to get FMLA help. They will then write you up if you have to miss any time for an illness, or emergency surgery, or sick child, etc., if your PTO doesn’t cover it. They also like to take your PTO from you a little at a time and spread it out for different things so that you have none, then when you call out and have no PTO they write you up. If you try to question them about why things are the way they are, they don’t like it and they use techniques like the PTO stealing to fire you, because they can say you didn’t have enough Swell Time. They don’t like it when any one questions their business tactics so they get rid of them. I have seen it happen multiple times to many Co-Workers who were just trying to stand up for themselves and their fellow employees. HR is no help, they are actually a joke they don’t have any helpful information and they aren’t up to date with procedures and policies. We have to go in there with emails that were sent to the company as a whole to tell them what they should already know. IT is also a joke as we have had multiple computer and software issues since moving to Work From Home. They don’t know how to fix the problem so we are told to restart our Computers which doesn’t fix the problem, then they give us all of these troubleshooting methods, which we have already done ourselves and tried. These tech issues have been a Major Problem since we went to Work From Home, and every time we have one we are penalized horribly for it. It takes away from our stats and makes our daily/ monthly percentages low. That leads me to our stats and how horribly low they have been since we started WFH. A lot of people had a daily percentage of 70% or above for calls, which is meeting and exceeding expectations, and now we can’t even hold a 60% which is below expectations. So they talk with us about how we aren’t meeting the company standards and then write us up. Ruby as a whole company isn’t even meeting its own standards as they are at a 69% with calls. I am exhausted with working and taking calls back to back, I am exhausted and sick of my fellow Receptionist and I taken advantage of. I am exhausted with this Front that Ruby puts towards the world, when really they are a horrible company and everything they sell is an illusion.

16 people found this review helpful

Chief Operating Officer

I’m sorry to hear that this has been your experience at Ruby – this is never the experience we aim to create, and I would value the opportunity to speak with you so we can work through this together. COVID-19 has made a heavy impact on all of us, especially parents like you who are trying to work from home while also taking care of young children. We encourage you to reach out to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for support and resources—anyone who answers the phone can help you get started. We are also offering a great deal of schedule flexibility to parents to help alleviate these strains and hope you will reach out to our Workforce team to explore options that may help your situation. While we did receive over 70 requests for voluntary furlough, we were only able to approve 8 of those requests. We limited this number because we knew that it would create added stress on the Receptionist floor, given our high call volume. Ruby currently maintains staffing levels that are significantly higher than what is needed to support our call volumes. Unfortunately, the negative impact of all of our community pressures has many employees across all industries needing to work less. It is precisely this pressure that is driving Ruby to hire Receptionists classes each week so that we can help our Rubys get the time they need, when they need it. We know that there has also been a financial impact of the pandemic for Rubys. In March, Ruby committed to our customers and employees that we would be prepared to manage for a sustained COVID impact for as long as 18 months. As part of this commitment, we indicated we would not be doing layoffs and we would not reduce base wages. However, with this, came some hard decisions and expense reductions in all areas to ensure we could meet this critical goal. One of those decisions was to pause the annual wage increase and our bonus program. The good news is that we have already been able to release some of these restrictions and provided all hourly team members with a wage increase in September. We have further committed to our employees that we will continue to carefully monitor our business results and be as generous as we possibly can by continuing to rollback these hard decisions as soon as we can. I encourage you to reach out to me directly, so we can talk through your concerns and work toward solutions together.

11. 1.0

Don’t Buy Into the Hyphe

Jul 8, 2020 - Virtual Receptionist in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Your fellow receptionists are incredible -The culture is 100% provided by the receptionists -Full Health Benefits -Maybe 25% of receptionist managers actually practice the compassion/culture Ruby likes to boast

Cons

-HIGHLY inconsistent standards ACROSS THE BOARD - just across the board miscommunication on what's expected of your employees -mediocre pay -SEVERELY understaffed -confusing policy changes in every aspect of the job -Overall really bad communication in alllll departments -ZERO room for promotion in your career -Monetary promotion based solely on a tenure and NOT on performance

10 people found this review helpful

CEO

I’m sorry to hear that this has been your experience at Ruby – this is never the experience we aim to create, and I would value the opportunity to speak with you so we can work through this together. While we are always working to improve coaching consistency, our historical turnover is lower than industry benchmarks and has been particularly low throughout the pandemic. Our priority since the pandemic started has been job and wage security for all employees, and we have delivered on that commitment thus far. When it comes to difficult calls, we know this is a very real pain point, and has gotten worse recently as tensions across the globe are heightened due to the pandemic and social revolution. Receptionists are trained in de-escalation, and if a caller becomes abusive and refuses to remain professional, Receptionists are empowered and expected to end the call. We have an escalation process for accounts with a pattern of frustrated callers, and if a customer is unwilling to work with us to improve the situation, we are prepared to end our partnership with that customer. At the same time, we can’t punish a customer for an occasional angry caller. We are currently preparing additional training to give Receptionists more tools to handle these calls more effectively given the current climate. We want to clarify that Glassdoor does not ever allow employers to remove reviews. If Glassdoor’s content team determines that a review goes against their Community Guidelines (multiple reviews per person, mentioning non-Executive employees by name, profanity, etc.) they may choose to remove it. In terms of employee feedback, we encourage and prefer direct communication through one of the many internal channels we have created so we can work together on a solution that solves for the root cause of the issue. Ruby offers Executive office hours every week, regular employee engagement surveys, a companywide “Ask Me Anything” forum, listening sessions, and an open-door policy to share feedback and concerns. We do not believe that the negative reviews on Glassdoor represent the majority of our employees’ experience, so we have invited employees to leave their honest, unfiltered reviews on Glassdoor. We simply want readers to gain a more balanced perspective when learning about Ruby. I encourage you to reach out to me directly, so we can talk through your concerns and work toward solutions together. Thank you, Kate Winkler, CEO

Viewing 1 - 10 of 45 Reviews