Ruder Finn Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Ruder Finn CEO Kathy Bloomgarden
Kathy Bloomgarden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And work-life balance is EXTREMELY reasonable, with plenty of PTO for all levels (in 8 reviews)

• Great entry level program we definitely get to work with some of the best and brightest at every level and with great clients (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist (in 6 reviews)

• No work/life balance for junior staff; expect to regularly work until 9 and much later during busy times (in 7 reviews)

1. "Innovative global agency with a start up feel"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Smart people smart work top clients strong collaboration. Great entry level program we definitely get to work with some of the best and brightest at every level and with great clients. People generally are fun and enjoy what they do too.

Cons

Not great at internal communication as an agency or warehousing our stock assets, we really could do a lot better

Advice to Management

Get more organized around new business, and communicate more visibily around whats happening as an agency.

"Technology"

Former Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ruder Finn is a privately held family company. As such, they approach everything from a mom and pop perspective.

Cons

They don't understand digital and are unwilling to make the necessary business, cultural and operational investments to develop their digital footprint. Additionally, the culture is rooted in hiring white females. They don't acknowledge any issues having to do with minorities and don't hire many minorities.

Advice to Management

Get with it digitally. Create a more welcoming environment (culturally) and be a modern agency.

"Nice Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Had a very good experience working here. Sr. Management was very approachable and listens to your comments. Had a very good work-life balance and coworkers were great.

Cons

The company culture changed direction over the past few years and they tried to become more like a very large PR agency. Business seems to have suffered recently and employees are leaving in droves making it very difficult for the remaining staff to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Go back to the boutique agency feel and stop trying to be something you are not. Culture and morale has suffered greatly.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for your feedback and we are so very happy you had a positive experience during your time at the agency. We are working on stronger interoffice connectivity and cultural initiatives so... More

"A Wonderful Company to Work For with a Rich, Beautiful History"

Former Employee - Managing Director of Video in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director of Video in New York, NY

Pros

The staff is made up of creative and hard-working people. The agency outputs brilliant work and is not afraid to experiment with new or risky ideas.
    It has high-profile clients that are fun to work for.
    It encourages support and training/ career development and will subsidize outside classes to better hone your skills.
    The Finn family is WONDERFUL. The CEO is brilliant and always accessible and provides an example of hard-work and dedication. The agency is has a close to 70-year history in NYC and has been family-run that whole time. The founder, David, started Ruder Finn with a passion for arts and ethics. Those values still are a rich part of the agency today.
    Senior management treats employees fairly and listens to and tries to address staff concerns.
    Very few agencies have such accessibility to the CEO. Her door is always open and anyone can go in and talk with her.
    Employee/management relations are good with solid communication.
    They just moved into a GORGEOUS new, sunny space with an open-design and an urban, industrial, loft-like, modern feel.
    Promotion prospects are good; hard-work is rewarded.
    Good flexibility of working hours.
    Good pay.
    Great benefits and incentives.

Cons

Should be more communication between groups and global offices. Make more of an effort to have happy hours, field trips, parties.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job.

Jul 14, 2016 – Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for your feedback! We are so delighted you had a rich and rewarding experience! We are working on stronger interoffice connectivity and cultural initiatives so thank you so very much for... More

"Very Rewarding Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Ruder Finn full-time

Pros

My experience at Ruder Finn has been very rewarding over many years here. I have been and continue to be, privileged to work with very smart and creative people and have been impressed by the quality of the work we do. Our benefits are competitive, and management does try to improve the employee's experience.

The new space is outstanding and in a great location. People are already starting to collaborate more than they did in cubicles and closed offices.

Cons

I would like to see the staff more engaged in knowledge and resource sharing. We don't often get to know the kind of outstanding work other practices or offices are doing.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage employees to share insight and give feedback and further develop our strong culture and ethical values.

"What a nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about working at Ruder Finn several years ago was its close proximity to Bloomingdales. The dressing room at Bloomingdales is a great place to escape being emotionally abused by Ruder Finn's PR "Executives". I understand that the company's location has since changed, unfortunately.

Cons

I've encountered pieces of chewed up gum that had better personalities and higher intellect than 90% of the managers at this company. Plus, nearly everyone in a position of power at RF is a sadist. It's disturbing.

Beyond the weak leadership, morale was always rock-bottom.

Advice to Management

Try to weed out the sociopaths.

Jul 29, 2016 – Chief Talent Officer

We are so very sorry you had a negative experience during your time at Ruder Finn. We have indeed moved into a beautiful new building which promotes collaboration and implemented new employee... More

"A Piece of Garbage"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you have half a brain, you can rise in the ranks. To a point.

Cons

Working at Ruder Finn will provide zero value to your professional development. All of the other negative comments are true. And more so.

The most amusing part about Ruder Finn is its ethics practice: it is, by far, the most unethical place I have ever work.

There is no correlation between the value you deliver and the way you are ultimately treated by Ruder FInn. It's extremely exploitative. It's poisonous. It will damage your self-esteem and you will learn nothing of value.

Advice to Management

Shutter the agency.

Jul 5, 2016 – Chief Talent Officer

We are sorry you had such a negative experience at Ruder Finn, we hope you find a better experience elsewhere and wish you every success.

"A great place."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot say enough good things about Ruder Finn. They gave me my first full-time job after college, and after completing the ET program, I can honestly say that I had a largely complete knowledge of the PR industry and landscape.

Their clients are blue chip businesses across industries, which gave me wonderful insight right off the bat into what kind of businesses I liked working with. Senior management makes a real effort to mentor and support junior staff, and RF promotes more aggressively than most places, which is a huge plus if you work hard and are smart. And work-life balance is EXTREMELY reasonable, with plenty of PTO for all levels.

Ruder Finn has also made an effort to roll out new culture initiatives which have made the organization a more fun place to work. Their new office is beautiful and cool, and has really opened up the organization.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but if you work at Ruder Finn, you will probably have a healthcare client at one point or another. I personally learned a ton from working in healthcare, but it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep on mentoring and listening to junior staff. The initiatives, etc., are really working and are much appreciated.

May 16, 2016 – Chief Talent Officer

Thank you so very much for this feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed your time at Ruder Finn!

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got to learn a lot. Got a lot of responsibility and managed some big clients even at a more junior levelt

Cons

The pay was horrible. Maybe it was because I didn't negotiate as strongly, but definitely didn't get paid fairly. Got the impression of "there are a ton of PR gals who would love to do this."

Jul 5, 2016 – Chief Talent Officer

We are sorry you did not feel you were paid fairly and are taking the feedback to heart. We are glad you feel you learned a lot and managed big clients here and wish you every success in your new job.

"If walls could talk, RF's would say, "SOS""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Some really great, smart and talented people
    -New office sounds like it will be top of the line and conducive to creating quality work
    -Summer days
    -If you have the luck of ending up on a good/sufficiently staffed team you will have the opportunity to own projects/have a voice in the work you do
    -There is an obvious effort to give the company a culture face lift, but until all of the staff is on board, it will be stuck in its ways

Cons

-Hardly any work/life balance. It seemed like making plans after work was nearly impossible
    -No perks
    -High levels of junior staff burnout
    -Promotions seem to be based on tenure, not merit. This can put some people in managerial positions who aren't ready and frustrates the employees who work really hard for no reward
    -A lot of teams are understaffed. New business keeps being won (which is great) but there are no employees with enough bandwidth to give it their all

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about what is going on at the top and be more supportive/grateful of junior staff that are working beyond maximum capacity to keep the place afloat. Also, the ET program could be an amazing asset. It is seen as an amazing opportunity for the best and brightest to the outside world, but seems to be forgotten internally.

Jul 5, 2016 – Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for your detailed review. We value this feedback and take it to heart. We are working hard to improve staffing, transparency, and rewards programs. Our ET program is something we are really... More