Ruder Finn Reviews

Updated Sep 19, 2020

3.3
Ruder Finn CEO Kathy Bloomgarden
Kathy Bloomgarden
Pros
  • "interns's ideas are valued, good working environment, useful training sessions open to interns(in 10 reviews)

• "Good work-life balance, benefits and competitive compensation(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "No career path for junior staff(in 11 reviews)

• "Senior management keeps pushing for more sales/BD although the team is already struggling with current work(in 10 reviews)

"Great career growth opportunities in collaborative environment"

5.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ruder Finn full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started at Ruder Finn San Francisco (RFSF) office as an Executive Trainee (ET), which provided me with a fulfilling learning environment, working closely with clients and the RFSF team. The RFSF office is smaller with many overlapping accounts, so each member's input/voice is heard and valued. Ruder Finn provides its teams with many opportunities, including attending marquee industry events, pitching innovative tech companies, and networking across a number of industries at a variety of events. The RF culture welcomes all ideas, an entrepreneurial mindset, and collaboration.

Cons

There isn't much overlap between the NY and SF teams, as they focus on different industries.

2. "Good resume builder but not a long -term job."

2.0
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are solid and the experience will help land jobs down the road.

Cons

Working after hours daily without overtime is expected. No corporate culture to speak of. Cliquey office environment.

3. "Ok place"

Former Employee - SAE in New York, NY

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, uplifting place to work with great clients.

Cons

Not entirely merit based. Stuck to a typically timeline for promotion, regardless of skill level. Lots of management changes, which lead to uncertainty across the whole organization

4. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time

Pros

Smart colleagues and interesting clients

Cons

Not enough junior staff in some departments

"Workplace Culture is TOXIC"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ruder Finn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive salaries, normal working hours, and free seltzer.

Cons

- Company core values do not serve as the basis for how the organization functions. - Employee suggestions are discarded. - People are afraid to give honest feedback. -Micromanaging - Little to no autonomy is given to employees in performing their jobs. - Blaming and punishment from management is the norm. - Little or strained interaction between employees and management. - Gossiping and/or social cliques. - Favoritism and office politics. - Aggressive or bullying behavior

6. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive

I have been working at Ruder Finn full-time

Pros

Good people, good culture, welcoming

Cons

Hard to move up quickly

"Look elsewhere"

I have been working at Ruder Finn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small office, so you can work on good accounts and get exposure at a jr level Some amazingly talented minds work here I do enjoy flexible WFH

Cons

Unfortunately this place runs more like a sorority than an actual company. Some senior employees don’t do work and expect junior staff to stay until 8, 9 or 10 every day. Deteriorating environment...I believe this was once a good place to work but now it’s messy. Any culture attempts are forced and we never know if taking a break for lunch or going to team happy hours is kosher because being at your desk at all times and late is expected sometimes even on holidays. Managers will act like they care then laugh about you behind your back. The morale is low.

"Overservicing Clients"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time

Pros

-High-profile clients -Good place for very junior staff

Cons

-Outdated campaigns -Overservicing clients -Hierarchy is bloated and catty

"Deteriorating Environment"

Former Employee - Creative Strategist

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time

Pros

Big brand-name client, some innovation

Cons

Rude upper management, no interest in employee well-being

"Collaborative, zero politics, focused on great work"

5.0

I have been working at Ruder Finn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not sure what to make of some of the negative reviews, but I love working at Ruder Finn – especially when I compare it to other top tier agencies. No politics (which is rare in any organization), super talented & collaborative colleagues, flat org structure, challenging assignments, and no client account is too small to celebrate (another rarity in global agencies). The CEO leads by example in being accessible, non-ego driven, empowering others, focused on doing great work, and motivated by self-learning (for example, she speaks 6 languages and studies Chinese in her spare time). Finance is people-centric vs. bean counting. IT guys are the best I’ve seen. Ever. I often feel as if I get the best of a boutique while being backed by a global agency. Having said, this is not a place for people who require lots of structure or process to be successful, and the agency certainly has its challenges. But if you’re scrappy, creative, non-ego driven, love what you do, and want to be with a group of people who feel the same and will walk through fire to support and help each other, this is a great place to be.

Cons

HR is under-resourced, Cobblers’ Shoes Syndrome when it comes to marketing and internal comms, parts of internal org structure can be confusing

Found 148 reviews