Rue Gilt Groupe Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark McWeeny

"Challenging & Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work is challenging, culture is great, leadership is strong

Cons

Sometimes there's a good amount of work to be done with a limited time frame but it's good stress to help the company move forward.

Advice to Management

Keep being open on all the initiatives that are taking place.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-07-31
  2. "Good Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Work Life Balance enviroment

Cons

little career development help from management

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-08-13
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Failing Leadership"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

RGG has recently added flexible time off - but are still stingy about this. Yes -we get "unlimited" days off - but don't go over 15 days or else you will be on the chopping block!

Cons

Low pay, horrible middle management - and even worse leadership team.

Advice to Management

The business has not been able to course-correct through the Gilt acquisition - yet leadership seems unconcerned. Much of middle-management has been laid off this year, and our leaders have remained silent. If you are the CEO going through an acquisition - communicate with your people. Much of the company is searching for a way out before it is too late, as we all see the writing on the wall - a failing business.... Our CFO has a one-track mind and forces change and directs workflow blindly, not actually understanding how a minor change has a mighty ripple effect through the company. Our CEO seems entirely checked-out, I actually don't even remember the last time he was in the office. Even when he is in the office he is unapproachable. The HR team doesn't seem to understand the purpose of their jobs: when asked why leadership hasn't stepped up as leaders this year- HR's response was that "they haven't said anything because there is nothing to say." Let me key you in on a little secret: a good leader should always have something to say. This company is driving itself directly off of a bridge with no guard rails! Advice to management: listen to your people - stop ignoring us!

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-08-30

Rue Gilt Groupe Response

September 5, 2019HR Business Partner

Thank you for your direct feedback. I am taking your advice and would love to speak with you directly in order to be able to address your concerns and hopefully improve your experience. Please reach out so that we can meet. -Nicole Zussman

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People, culture, promote from within

Cons

Nothing in particular to add to cons

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-07-16

"Poor compensation"

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual attire, and they offer perks but they don't deliver.

Cons

The culture here is very clique'y. A lot of favoritism and long hours worked for low compensation. Senior leadership is unorganized and prioritizes fun before meeting deadlines for other departments. Perks? The summer hours you can never take advantage of the samples sales that never happen.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-08-12
  7. "Great company"

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in New York, NY

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance Promotes from within

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-07-02

"Amazing team"

Former Employee - Stylist in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing team and colleagues, energetic community, solid work perks (401k, health insurance, summer Fridays, etc.), great location, upward and lateral mobility options.

Cons

Lack of transparency up and down the ladder. Reputation for poor management, but my own manager was AMAZING.

Advice to Management

My own manager was incredible. She supported me and rallied for me and my future opportunities. I would advise other managers to do the same. Don't try and take credit for the hard work of your team, respect their contributions, support them in their career growth.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-06-18

"Bad"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Shepherdsvlle, KY

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some nice and friendly people

Cons

Poor management abusive inhumane treatment worker due to heat they sit around in their office while we the back bones of this business sweat ourselves to death but who care not the Owner,CEO,HR, or Managers, Supervisor oh let not forget the safety guy. Also the favoritism that has been allowed grow with in is unreal sometime it right down unethical.This is a company all about money not people. You do not practice... you own core values Since buying Gilt you have kicked some of your best worker in the teeth to make room some Gilt people instead of demoting them. And all the family and friends that work in the same dept or who was brought in put in position while though in house was denial. I been here awhile and seem a lot of dirty deeds maybe some outside help you correct these bad issue you refuse to fix

Advice to Management

Hold your managers and HR accountable they hold us accountable.to many leads in outbound seven to be exacted Clean your company up bad folks thinking about self look at your turn over

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-06-29
  10. "Great environment, little pay"

Former Employee - Feature Writer in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great, fun people and work environment.

Cons

Good job out of college but extremely low pay.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-05-11

"Never knew how truly undervalued I was, until I went elsewhere"

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Pockets of great people in various depts (however, if you are a kind person you usually get managed out) fun perks (parties; surprise & delights; summer Friday's) employee discount

Cons

A common theme that I learned from my own experience and those who have also left, was how shocked I/they were when they went to a new org. I had been beaten down so much emotionally, that it was odd when I was in a new company and people were kind/gave so much positive feedback. It took awhile to fully work through all of the emotional abuse that Rue had left on me. Friends I still stay in touch with report similar... experiences This reputation is very much out in the Boston scene as well - many people have said back to me "I've heard it's toxic there" to which I confirm. The toxic culture stems from the following: There is inconsistent standards amongst employees (ie: some can come and go as they please); communication between sr leaders and teams is terrible; favoritism runs rampant (some individuals promoted yearly and some not at all); people continue to leave for same reasons yet nothing is done to change the situation (especially in some positions that can barely keep someone a year) yet no one looks at this attrition data and thinks "maybe there is a systemic problem here". There are so many incompetent leaders who have been there way too long and have too much political capitol to fire (even tho, it's more than obvious they are the problem). This is not a place where if you help out a team member or pick up more "undesirable" work tasks to help the team you'll be rewarded. It's a place that if you CYA, throw people under the bus, delegate tasks that you think are "beneath you" and genuinely don't care about people - you'll get a promotion. Kindness is not rewarded, it's a sign of weakness at Rue.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people/these reviews. If you keep reading similar things....they might be true.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-06-05