Rue Gilt Groupe Employee Reviews about "fast paced"

Updated Jan 13, 2021

3.3
Rue Gilt Groupe CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny
Pros
  • "Extremely fast paced and a lot can be learned while in your role(in 36 reviews)

• "Great people, good company culture(in 35 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Everything - not since gilt acquirement(in 32 reviews)

• "Consistent work-life balance can be challenging(in 29 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Rue Gilt Groupe and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "fast paced"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Your career is what you make of it at Rue

Jan 13, 2021 - Senior QA Engineer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Awesome tech team • Positive/supportive culture • Fast paced and dynamic • No limit to vacation time (and you're encouraged to use it) • Competitive pay • Flexible remote/WFH policy (even before COVID) • Excellent work/life balance • Lots of opportunity for growth • Individuals are empowered to assume ownership and make an impact • I honestly look forward to working every morning

Cons

Not as tech focused as other places I've worked. Focus is primarily on sales and marketing and tech can feel like a service to other groups within the organization.

Rue Gilt Groupe Response

Chief People Officer

I’m so happy you look forward to work every morning and have had such a positive experience at RGG. Thanks for providing your feedback on what we can do better. As an e-commerce company - our tech organization is vital to the success of our company and we certainly believe that our tech organization and activities are prioritized. I encourage you to reach out directly to your HR Business Partner with any specific ideas on how to better our business.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Fantastic people, fast-paced environment

Oct 10, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic people, fast-paced environment, ability to grow, learn and expand your role for high achievers

Cons

Departments not always on the same page, especially below department head level

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Autonomous, exciting, challenging, fun, fast-paced.

Jan 20, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Autonomous environment where you can run with your idea and test it out. Employees are young and smart, and the fast-paced nature of the company keeps you on your toes and keeps pushing you further. The execs listen to the voices of the employees and have made changes like updating the pantry. The culture is fun - they offer manicures and massages during the day and are bringing meals in. There are happy hours, and a really fun halloween party every year. Its great to work for a company where the customers love the brand and are highly engaged. There isnt a vacation policy, and you get a sabbatical after working there for 3 and 5 years.

Cons

There are no down-cycles, its an always-on environment. Some of the employees are too young and have no other experience so they don't know how to conduct themselves in a business setting. It is difficult to advance because the company has grown to its max and so new positions are few. Its becoming more of a corporate, bureaucratic culture and has lost most of its start-up feel.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee

Junior Graphic Designer - Boutiques

Mar 2, 2016 - Contract Junior Designer - Boutiques in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Fast paced environment that helps with time management.

Cons

- Everyone here was incredibly catty and with every situation it was more about who to shift blame on or be annoyed with, rather than just working as a team with the other departments. Most emails received by people was written in a "snobby" tone, rather than professional and helpful....the worst part was that these women prided themselves on that tone. - Brought in as a contractor, told that we're just as included as the full-timers. This was totally false, we were left out of the Holiday Parties, and just the general "full-time circle". An example of this is that the Rue employees pride themselves on making birthdays of Rue employees memorable, with decorating desks, special treats and a card signed by the whole department. Unfortunately I watched another contractor's birthday get completely forgotton, and when I asked about it the response was "well she's not full-time, so it's not really the same".....basically contractors are not valued the same.

11 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0

Unprofessional supervisor

Mar 19, 2014 -  in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Gilt Credit to your account. Company discount on website • Sleek office environment • Smart (and friendly) coworkers • Fast-paced workplace with many challenges and a high learning curve

Cons

The perks end here. Depending on the team, experiences can vary. I hope someone will take note of the below and consider twice before committing to working here. • A lot of managers don't support and are hardly ever around when needed. If you're looking for even a bit of mentorship, look elsewhere. • No work-life balance. • Fast-turnover, speaks for itself. • Positive, cheerful facade over a crumbling managerial structure. HR is not helpful.

7 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company to work for!

Aug 13, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Innovative, fast paced, everyone contributes which is rare in a corporate environment. Great benefits and I have never been at a company before that cares so much about their people.

Cons

No company is perfect but this company prepares you to be successful. The only thing I would say is be a little less last minute with changes to our boutiques/upcoming strategy.

7. 5.0

Technology at Rue

Aug 14, 2015 -  in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced environment. Always a lot going on. Shifting to Agile development with a more even work cadence that there was before. Positive environment where results count. Good access to company leaders, many opportunities to ask questions and get real answers. Nice workspace - Bagels on Friday, Craft Beer events, Lots of Free lunches. New CTO will bring fresh energy and a different perspective.

Cons

I'm enjoying it here and recommend it to others. Like many companies there are different perspectives depending on which department you work in. My department rocks.

8. 4.0

Planning Manager

Jun 13, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic environment! Fast paced, exciting business. Great work/life balance. Feeling of contribution to the company/department, that as an individual you are influencing the success of the business Great VP over this department Wonderful community of peers Company morale is positive There are opportunities to participate in community events, volunteer work, and good for the greater community

Cons

Systems are still lacking, somewhat tedious manual work Communication between departments is weak in some cases Sometimes execution of ideas or change in process is painful to achieve Still a feel of a small company where lines of responsibility are more grey than they should be

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Very fast paced environment, not for wimps!

Feb 24, 2014 - Technology Based in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at Rue for two years. As the title says, this is a very fast paced environment and you will not succeed if you are not a self starter. It can sometimes be difficult to get help for a problem, their has been a corporate culture of not answering email although I think this is turning around. There have been some reorganizations and in some aspects that has also helped. There has been a terrible attrition problem, quite a few folks were burned out. Upper management has stated publicly that they have seen the problem and want to help solve it. The office environment is very vibrant and the location in Downtown (Fort Point) was a plus for me. For some it makes for a terrible commute. The management really does try to do things to make the employee's feel that they are recognized. I would say that Rue does this better than any company i have worked for.

Cons

As stated above it can be tough to get traction in the beginning. The corporate culture of not answering email does not help. If you really need an answer sometimes you are forced to have to go and interrupt someone which leads to a very interrupt prone environment. The environment can be very loud. Actually, it can be very, very loud. They need more smaller meeting rooms so that impromptu meetings don't have to take place talking over three cubicles. There is also a 'meeting culture' at the company. Things which could be hashed out in a few email exchanges are usually hashed out in meetings instead.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Always interesting

Nov 3, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced always changing environment which keeps the job interesting. By far the best group of people I've worked with in any company. Quick to get rid of underperforming staff (for the most part).

Cons

Fast paced always changing environment could be frustrating if you aren't the right fit. Lots of people with strong personalities/opinions (mostly good, some bad) so if you can't hold your own you might be overwhelmed working here. Training in certain parts of the organization is lacking.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 36 Reviews