Rue Gilt Groupe "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Rue Gilt Groupe Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Sep 21, 2019

Rue Gilt Groupe CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny
Pros
  • "Young, fast paced, creative environment(in 35 reviews)

• "Great people, good company culture(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "You do not practice you own core values Since buying Gilt you have kicked some of your best worker in the teeth to make room some(in 31 reviews)

• "There is no work-life balance in the BP department(in 27 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews

"Great fun place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, good company culture. Strong vision and good technology.

Cons

Financial benefits for technology positions are average at best.

Rue Gilt Groupe2018-01-15

"A Sinking Ship"

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible time off. A lot of great people on the creative team.

Cons

Disorganized Poor leadership Low morale LAUGHABLE salary Burn out

Advice to Management

I’ve worked here almost five years, and I can’t get out fast enough. Since the Gilt acquisition, I feel that the culture has shifted to a toxic one. I love a lot of the people on my team, but leadership is tragic— I feel as though they’re completely turning the other cheek to the fact that a lot of us are absolutely miserable. I cry nearly once a week because I do not make a living wage for the Boston area, I literally live paycheck to paycheck while people with my title at other companies make 20K more. HR has said for years they’d “look into it” re: salary comp but nothing ever comes of it, so I’ve decided to actively begin my job search. Long story short, I’m embarrassed to tell people I work here because while a lot of people my age are managers and making decent money, I have hardly any growth opportunity and poor pay.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-09-21
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Never knew how truly undervalued I was, until I went elsewhere"

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Pockets of great people in various depts (however, if you are a kind person you usually get managed out) fun perks (parties; surprise & delights; summer Friday's) employee discount

Cons

A common theme that I learned from my own experience and those who have also left, was how shocked I/they were when they went to a new org. I had been beaten down so much emotionally, that it was odd when I was in a new company and people were kind/gave so much positive feedback. It took awhile to fully work through all of the emotional abuse that Rue had left on me. Friends I still stay in touch with report similar experiences This reputation is very much out in the Boston scene as well - many people have said back to me "I've heard it's toxic there" to which I confirm. The toxic culture stems from the following: There is inconsistent standards amongst employees (ie: some can come and go as they please); communication between sr leaders and teams is terrible; favoritism runs rampant (some individuals promoted yearly and some not at all); people continue to leave for same reasons yet nothing is done to change the situation (especially in some positions that can barely keep someone a year) yet no one looks at this attrition data and thinks "maybe there is a systemic problem here". There are so many incompetent leaders who have been there way too long and have too much political capitol to fire (even tho, it's more than obvious they are the problem). This is not a place where if you help out a team member or pick up more "undesirable" work tasks to help the team you'll be rewarded. It's a place that if you CYA, throw people under the bus, delegate tasks that you think are "beneath you" and genuinely don't care about people - you'll get a promotion. Kindness is not rewarded, it's a sign of weakness at Rue.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people/these reviews. If you keep reading similar things....they might be true.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-06-05

"Just a cog in a machine..."

Former Employee - Assistant Boutique Producer in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people with common interests, laid-back office and no strict dress code. Occasional free food and parties.

Cons

The BP department is what I would consider the workhorse of the company (they basically coordinate the flow of info between all of the other departments on their respective teams) and yet they are not treated with such importance. Most employees come in as contractors, making pathetic wages with no benefits and management keeps them on as temp employees for several contracts, stringing them along with no transparency so the company can dodge paying people full wages and benefits. For the employees that are made full time, they are expected to work far beyond their job description would suggest. Nearly all of the people in my department (NOT just senior employees but even new ones) would bring their laptops home at night because there simply were not enough hours in the day to get everything done, and when you're working at a flash sale website, there are deadlines that absolutely cannot be pushed off. Most positions are not overtime eligible and managers *strongly* discourage employees who do take advantage of it (I'm sure upper management is putting pressure on mgrs to reduce overtime wages) Working in the BP dept at RGG overtook my life, gave me an unhealthy amount of stress, and made me miserable. For the amount they overwork their employees they don't match it in any sort of benefit or wage. Free bagels on friday are not enough to justify miserable working conditions and treating your workers as disposable. RGG becomes your life. There is no work-life balance in the BP department.

Advice to Management

Stop investing in side projects until you can reduce the egregious employee turnover rate by paying your employees what they rightfully deserve.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-03-06
  6. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

- Laid-back culture, great people - Flexibility in hours and working from home - Internal mobility and growth if you're willing to put in the effort

Cons

-Very fast paced environment which isn't everyone's cup of tea -Understaffed so many of the associates are overworked -Lower pay than other companies in the city.

Rue Gilt Groupe2018-09-27
  7. "Best company I worked for"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I used to : - get money to shop online every quarter + the discount. - get unlimited vacation . - work with great people - enjoy Happy hour

Cons

back then there was no match for 401 k

Advice to Management

bring back the old Gilt Groupe

Rue Gilt Groupe2017-11-04

"Sr. Account Executive"

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Great brand. Great people

Cons

HBC took away the start up culture

Advice to Management

Focus on career growth and overall employee satisfaction

Rue Gilt Groupe2017-10-04
  9. "AP Analyst"

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Great people and corporate culture. Room for growth if you prove yourself.

Cons

The work gets repetitive and mundane quickly (but management will give you new responsibilities if you ask).

Rue Gilt Groupe2017-08-11
  10. "Best first job I could've asked for"

Former Intern - Full Stack Software Engineer Co-op in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe for less than a year

Pros

- Smart coworkers that care about what they do - Awesome culture/work-life balance - Really great people all around

Cons

Really can't think of anything

Rue Gilt Groupe2017-06-17
  11. "Shipping Coordinator"

Shipping Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe for more than a year

Pros

Great people and training. Innovative company with a clear mission. Opportunity to advance to different departments

Cons

The parking situation is tough as the area has started to grow with other businesses

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Rue Gilt Groupe2017-04-17