KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Rue Gilt Groupe Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 15, 2021

Found 46 of over 706 reviews

Rue Gilt Groupe CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Rue Gilt Groupe and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good not Great

Feb 15, 2019 - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- good work life balance for some roles - Bagel Friday's - Decent benefits, health care is a bit expensive. 401K match is non-existent.

Cons

- Company is so focused on saving money to be profitable that the pay is far below industry average across the board. Buyers get little to no bonuses. Tech is severely underpaid and overwhelmed. - Company claims to always give employees the best benefits like unlimited vacation. This seems like a nice perk when you first hear it. But was another example of RGG saving money instead of having to payoff accrued vacation days when there is heavy turnover. Good luck ever getting that time off approved anyway! Long time employees lost weeks of PTO with this change. - Next to impossible to get promoted. Don't come here to advance your career. - Middle management is awful. Instead of hiring management from outside look internally at your talent for those positions. Bringing people in who are not educated on the industry is a bad idea. - Heavy turnover rate because of pay and management - Unrealistic goals set for teams. Year over year numbers have been declining but goals keep increasing for teams. - The site needs to adapt to the time and become more intuitive. Obvious issues with operations that don't get fixed. - Internal tech systems very outdated. - Departments need to start working together. Too many teams out of loop - They'll sell you on their culture, but HR department doesn't do much to help when serious issues and complaints come up. I've known quite a few people leave because of their bosses

8 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0

Good Work Life Balance

Aug 12, 2019 - Merchandising Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Work Life Balance enviroment

Cons

little career development help from management

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Rue is a great place with lots of interesting problems to solve

Mar 4, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a lot that is great here: --a fun environment (people eat together in the cafeteria, happy hours on Thursday) --good work-life balance (people work reasonable hours) --great leadership at the C-level --interesting problems to solve technically and within the business --strong revenue growth

Cons

A lot has changed at Rue in the last couple of years. There was a lot of turnover but it has mostly brought new energy to the company. But it is still a complicated org structure.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Adapted to remote work very well

Feb 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very flexible in terms of work/life balance since moved to remote work

Cons

Not a ton of visibility in company initiatives

Rue Gilt Groupe Response

Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Quickly pivoting our business into a remote work environment was not easy but our associates never missed a beat and business has continued to thrive! We share our company initiatives through All Associate meetings, Lunch & Learns, CEO updates and Q&A sessions. If you have additional ideas on how better to share business updates, please feel free to reach out to the People team.

5. 2.0
    Former Employee

Horrible Management

Mar 1, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Perks- Discounts on HBC banners, beautiful office views

Cons

Horrible management. Everything is so unprofessional. HR is dishonest as well. Little room for growth and no work life balance.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Surround yourself with empowered, tenacious and kind people. Work here.

Jul 9, 2020 - Designer in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The Diversity and Inclusion Committee has been a significant source of positive change at RGG. The conversation and action within the company and externally facing to be better allies and encourage educational learning is one of my favorite parts of company culture. - Very happy with the company interest in taking steps toward achieving more diversity and being more inclusive as committee has guided Lunch & Learns, Education Sessions on Juneteenth, Intersectionality, etc. and provided an overall safe space for people to create community while being in a corporate setting. It has been especially helpful with the transition to remote. - Collaborative team culture - Relaxed dress code, good benefits, and Surprise & Delights (think Ben & Jerry ice cream parties and Creative Department’s coffee barista that sets up shop in during holiday season).

Cons

- Work life balance is self-driven, you need to be your own advocate which can be tough at times. - Still try to function like a start-up so many employees wearing many hats and juggling a lot of responsibilities. - Communication and collaboration with other teams has room to improve.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

AMAZING people / work life balance...Zero growth / absolutely terrible management

Aug 10, 2017 - Curator in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The position was amazing The work life balance was amazing My co-workers are amazing

Cons

The newest management is everyones worst nightmare coming true. Zero growth, even if you're an over-performer

8. 1.0

Run from this company

Jun 24, 2021 - Merchandising in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

bagel fridays unlimited vacation time decent insurance

Cons

no work life balance expect you to be working over 40 hours constantly upper management plays favorites and speaks down to employees impossible to take time off with out getting yelled at for it little to no training in any role here severely low pay for entry level position. they offer over time which is needed to get the never ending work done but then will not approve it if its over 2 hours

7 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Former Employee

Human Resources

Nov 2, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

At Gilt your ideas are heard and everyone from entry level to the CEO has a seat at the table. People with hustle and grit are encouraged to work hard and often see the reward from doing so. It is a collaborative environment which allows you to learn about various areas of the business and work cross-functionally. Having the ability to partner closely with senior leaders across the organization, including Michelle Peluso, was the biggest takeaway for me from my time at Gilt.

Cons

Pros definitely outweigh any cons I would have. I think the one thing that stands out is the lack of work life balance in all areas of the organization. Employees are often expected to be available 7 days a week and to reply to any inquiries or business needs even when out of the office. Learning how to manage this is important in the Gilt culture but it is also a great place to get your hands dirty and learn a ton.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fast-paced environment; collaborative and supportive team

Jan 23, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexibility within my role to take on new tasks and responsibilities -Fast-paced culture and environment (works best for me personally, but not for everyone) -Incredibly supportive colleagues and management, open dialogue encouraged -Creative perks (Sample sales, summer Friday hours, Bagel Fridays)

Cons

-Growing pains within the past few years; Rue is a young company that's coming into its own -Resources available can limit day to day work; processes can be manual - more tech automation needed -Work/life balance can be challenging; at times I feel married to my mobile email

Viewing 1 - 10 of 46 Reviews

Popular Careers with Rue Gilt Groupe Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Rue Gilt Groupe? Share Your Experiences

Rue Gilt Groupe Careers

Cover image for Rue Gilt Groupe

Hear about Rue Gilt Groupe - what we do, how we're growing, and who we are - the people and culture behind the brand!More

• RGG Gives Back
  • Diversity

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

5 days ago

Community
At RGG, where helping is always in style, Associates gathered in our Boston, NYC, and Irvine offices for our annual Volunteer Day earlier this week. Together, we packaged more than 600 personal care kits for our unhoused neighbors in need. For this day of service, we partnered with Pine Street Inn in Boston, Food Bank for New York City, and Human Options in Irvine to give back and truly live our values of kindness and collaboration. Community outreach representatives from the three organizations joined us to share more about their missions to help the unhoused and how their personal care kit packing programs help their efforts. Following the presentation, we worked together to pack the 600+ kits and create cards with kind words of encouragement to go in each of them. See pictures below of the RGG Associate volunteers in action!
Shared image

20 days ago

Culture
Our Associates at Shop Premium Outlets, A Simon Digital Marketplace, are officially settled into their new Irvine, California office and are absolutely loving the space! From the collaborative group work areas and floor-to-ceiling windows that let in the gorgeous California sun, to standing desks and our classic office gumball machine for a quick sugary treat, the Irvine office is a great place for SPO Associates to spark delight for our Members and themselves. Take a peek at some of our new work spaces in the photos below! Interested in joining our team in Cali? Click the link to view our open roles!
Shared image - Careers @ Rue Gilt Groupe
Careers @ Rue Gilt Groupe
careers.ruegiltgroupe.com

Rue Gilt Groupe Photos

+ Add Photo
Rue Gilt Groupe photo of: 2015 Values Award Winners representing Rue's Core Values
Rue Gilt Groupe photo of: Human Resources - here to help!
Rue Gilt Groupe photo of: Our Kentucky Distribution Center
Rue Gilt Groupe photo of: Clean, organized + comfortable home office setup?✔️ #lifeatrgg
Rue Gilt Groupe photo of: #MondayMotivation featuring Wilfried in Technology!
Rue Gilt Groupe photo of: Happy Fruit Friday 🍍
Rue Gilt Groupe photo of: All of our photo shoots are done in-house in our Boston and Kentucky offices!

Expert Career Advice