Rue La La Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rue La La CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny

Pros
  • Sample sales (usually once a month) (in 20 reviews)

• Fun company outings and good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Can sometimes be stressful but you'll like it if you enjoy a fast paced environment (in 19 reviews)

• When you have a concern or issue you have no one to go to because everything is leaked (in 14 reviews)

1. "Shipping Coordinator"

Former Employee - Shipping Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Shipping Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and training. Innovative company with a clear mission. Opportunity to advance to different departments

Cons

The parking situation is tough as the area has started to grow with other businesses

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"So Many Great People, So Much Burnout"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Hands down the most amazing group of people you will encounter in an working environment. You will make lifelong friendships here.
    - Amazing Learning and Development opportunities including free online courses, tuition reimbursement, financial trainings on mortgages, 401Ks, budgeting and financial advisors at your service, etc.
    - Open working environment allows you to problem solve with your peers and management
    - Really wonderful and approachable executive team

Cons

- Extremely fast paced environment with a sink or swim culture
    - Everyone is working weekends and late nights, constant burnout
    - Little to no training for any role mixed with a high turnover rate means there are is more confusion than productivity. Nobody seems to know who exactly makes decisions.
    - Lack of role models who are interested in developing their team members
    - Salaries are unfortunate with no bonus structure

"Not a good working environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get your birthday off. There's free crappy coffee.

Cons

Awful pay. When you have a concern or issue you have no one to go to because everything is leaked. Not worth the stress.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Do not take advantage of them and play games. Treat people like people. Give positive feedback not just negative. Give help don't demand things.

Rue La La Response

Mar 2, 2017

Hello - I'd like to connect with you regarding your comments, as this is not the reflection we'd like associates to have of our environment, benefits and management. Please reach out to me for a ... More

5. "Freedom and individual ownership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Associates are given liberal measures to solve problems and work together towards solutions in a collaborative and engaging manner. Teams work autonomously towards team and company goals.

Cons

The work balance is not always balanced towards teams equally. The entry level associates do a lot of the work, to compensate for the lack of automation and reasonably current systems.

Advice to Management

Standardization of expectations across teams would go a long way to boost morale and set expectations. It's not a major flaw, but it would help make a great company be amazing.

Rue La La Response

Jan 5, 2017

Thanks for your thoughts on our collaborative culture! Agreed that teams work well together to achieve great things. Balance of work is always something that should be looked at in teams and voiced ... More

6. "Great Culture, Fabulous People"

Former Employee - Associate Buyer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Buyer in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great, creative people. Lots of ideas from both bottom up and top down. Lots of opportunity to grow.

Cons

No training program, you have to be prepared to learn as you go

"Temping"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La (Less than a year)

Pros

flash sales for employees
    very cool space

Cons

people are not inviting
    Used Excel for EVERYTHING instead of getting programs built

"Rue La La"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment
    Laid Back
    Casual Dress Code
    Sample Sales

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth
    Low salaries

Advice to Management

Invest your people that work there, take their career paths seriously.

"Fashion forward company with amazing people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like many other reviews, the people are the best! I respected and looked up to my boss and appreciated him always having my back. Coworkers and peers were amazing as well with everyone having the same desire to make the company great. Amazing holiday party, fun parties occasionally (Kentucky derby etc.), a great mentor program and Rue U trainings are great. New CEO has been with the company since the start and I think will do a great job with the right people on his senior management team. I almost forgot about Waffle Wednesday's; Dave on the tech team deserves a spirit award for his knack for
    bringing "rueligans" together.

Perks aside, it was great to feel empowered to make decisions and be innovative (however that did change slightly over time).

Cons

In the beginning I did feel empowered to make decisions, but over time and with different management changes, I felt like that went away. The work became less rewarding because management became very reactionary and it felt like there was no straightforward, long term plan. Similarly, while it had always been a plan of mine to grow with the company, my position began to feel stagnant with no room for growth. Certain members of upper management made the day to day work environment very stressful with last minute decision making that always had a ripple effect. Over time, it felt like I lost sight of what the company stood for because it changed frequently. There became a definite lack of transparency. Salaries are not competitive.

Advice to Management

Hopefully the CEO will leave his legacy and pass his passion for the company on to others on his staff. Please do not pass over great leaders among the HR department to bring in outside talent; similarly, work on keeping current employees happy, not with perks, but by offering competitive salaries and career growth. The company could benefit from an internal recognition program to drive motivation during quarterly meetings (not just a peer to peer recognition).

"Overworked and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get an okay discount on site and bagels on Friday- also if you get your friend to apply and stay for 6 months you get a bonus. If you stay past 7pm working (read as 2 hours of unpaid overtime) they pay for your Uber home!

Cons

A normal work day is 11 hours meaning 55 hours a week and there is no paid overtime!
    The company as a "throw someone else under the bus" vibe so if you start off at the bottom you will be FORCED to take the blame for everything that is and mostly is not your fault, in my experience.
    Management did not support me when I asked for help and pretended I did not ask for help when the problem bubbled up.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees for the extra 15 hours of work they do.
    When your employees are forced to work an extra 2-3 hours every single day buy them dinner since you are not paying them for the extra hours of labor they are giving you for free.
    Do not tell incoming employees the position they hold has a 6 month minimum because it is realistically a 1.5- 2 year minimum.

11. "Great group of talented people"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment that fosters creativity. Passionate teams that are bright, hard-working, and invested in what they do.

Cons

High chance of burnout if a fast pace isn't your thing.

Advice to Management

Invest in the talent that has invested their hard work into the company.