Rue La La Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rue La La CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun company outings and good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Get to participate in sample sales (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Can sometimes be stressful but you'll like it if you enjoy a fast paced environment (in 19 reviews)

• When you have a concern or issue you have no one to go to because everything is leaked (in 14 reviews)

1. "Assistant boutique producer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Rue La La as a contractor

Pros

Free bagel Fridays, good location

Cons

Poor upper management, little to no guidance, unprofessional, poor hours & no benefits for contractors

"Rue la la is full of lies."

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing positive to say about Rue La La.

Cons

Horrible pay, constantly working weekends, petty people, high school drama.

Advice to Management

You should try being straight up with your employees about their work schedules, lying about working 4 days a week then ending up working 6 really does make people angry. You should be more professional about your work environment also. I got so sick and tired of hearing my bosses talk about sucking each other's privates and other absolutely inappropriate things! It's ridiculous how unprofessional and petty Rue La La is. They do not care about their employees what so ever and they're constantly lying to them about anything and everything. Rue la la is a greedy, money grubbing SCAM. Absolute scam!!!!! Worst place I've ever worked and I'm so glad to be out of that awful company. I'm seriously amazed that they're even still up and running. I would NOT recommend ever working for this horrible company to anyone ever! I felt like I was back in high school everyday, it's nothing but cliques of snobby girls and preverted douchebags.

Jul 12, 2017 – Director of HR

“Thank you for your candid feedback. I’m sorry you didn’t feel you had a positive experience, which is what we strive for with all our associates. We have set values that represent who we are at... More

3. "Assistant stylist"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Shepherdsville, KY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Rue La La as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Positive Environment. Great coworkers.

Cons

Lack of care for employees. Feel more like a number than a person. No upword growth even after 2 years of employment. Recently made huge layoff of loyal long term employees.

"Seriously Declining"

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative colleagues. Work life balance is good.

Cons

Poorly managed on so many levels... little to no training initially, and nonexistent/ lackluster communication between teams. Employees are underpaid and (even worse) under valued. Management is opaque and refuses to innovate or provide structural support (leading teams to waste time working inefficiently). Run far away.

Advice to Management

Start actually practicing what you preach. Be transparent and start valuing your employees. You won't retain good talent otherwise.

May 12, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback. I’m sorry you didn’t feel you had a positive experience, which is what we strive for with all our associates. I’m excited to say that we have made several large... More

"Not a good working environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get your birthday off. There's free crappy coffee.

Cons

Awful pay. When you have a concern or issue you have no one to go to because everything is leaked. Not worth the stress.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Do not take advantage of them and play games. Treat people like people. Give positive feedback not just negative. Give help don't demand things.

Mar 2, 2017

Hello - I'd like to connect with you regarding your comments, as this is not the reflection we'd like associates to have of our environment, benefits and management. Please reach out to me for a... More

"Run Run Far Away"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

In Boston. Modern Office. Good benefits. Free Coffee & Soda

Cons

Horrible management. Not investing in their people. Constant turn over. Sink or Swim Mentality. CYOA environment. Too much work with skeleton crew of a staff.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your people. invest in your people. People are the ones who will grow the company. Lead by example. Listen to your people. Otherwise employees will continue to quit, resign and run far far away with no new job on the horizon.

"Merchandising"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

Young environment, tech type feel. Location being near downtown Boston. Updated office space.

Cons

There is a lot of young undeveloped staff, lack of training or general sense of business knowledge. There is little to no strong leadership, some people in positions of management do not have the skill set to be managing a team. Lack of professionalism among the staff, Rue is as far away from corporate culture as it gets. People can get away with actions that would never be tolerated at other companies. The company as far as a company Rue is very stuck in its ways, there is little to no innovation to try and grow and develop the businesses past what has already been done. Also, there is little being done to change that.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing and developing staff. Have clear goals and objectives for the business as well as staff. The core values of the company should be something that is lived day in and day out. Leaders should lead by example as well as coach and mentor people to grow and develop within the company.

Feb 3, 2017

Thank you for your review; I would be happy to talk more and get your feedback on change. As you know we are in our review process right now, and post that process, we will be launching new... More

"Overworked and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get an okay discount on site and bagels on Friday- also if you get your friend to apply and stay for 6 months you get a bonus. If you stay past 7pm working (read as 2 hours of unpaid overtime) they pay for your Uber home!

Cons

A normal work day is 11 hours meaning 55 hours a week and there is no paid overtime!
    The company as a "throw someone else under the bus" vibe so if you start off at the bottom you will be FORCED to take the blame for everything that is and mostly is not your fault, in my experience.
    Management did not support me when I asked for help and pretended I did not ask for help when the problem bubbled up.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees for the extra 15 hours of work they do.
    When your employees are forced to work an extra 2-3 hours every single day buy them dinner since you are not paying them for the extra hours of labor they are giving you for free.
    Do not tell incoming employees the position they hold has a 6 month minimum because it is realistically a 1.5- 2 year minimum.

"slave type job"

Current Employee - Order Picker in Shepherdsville, KY
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Shepherdsville, KY

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people you work closely with

Cons

this is the worst job i have every had in my life. this is a american sweat shop who do not care one bit about their employee all they care about is the customer we aren't give proper cooling during the summer or heat in the winter. the management suck to high heaven and hr is a disgrace. all the pets that management has is a disgrace.this company is no better then the sweat shop we talk about in other country. this company doesn't share the wealth with the people who do all the work but lazy leader,supervisor and management who do nothing but ru people off . take a look at the revolving door that exist in this place this is a very bad company

Advice to Management

pay the people who making you money we can't pay our bill with the little change you pay us change the management team

Oct 4, 2016

We appreciate your feelings and perspective about your experience at Rue. Certainly not how we want you to remember your time with us. Please know that we have a high level of overall associate... More

"Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Scattered among the company there are/were a few good people who were fantastic to work with. Summer Friday's were nice only if you could get your work done, which was only a handful of times. The location was a little out of the way, but being downtown was a plus as it beats commuting to the burbs. The big pro of all was "Them Friday Bagels!!!!" Nothing says I appreciate you and your hard work like a Friday Bagel. Mmmmm Yum!

Cons

In a word; Machiavellian - this place has the worst management I have ever encountered. Most of them would consume their own young if it helped them get a promotion or meet their bonus structure. Imagine the worst corporate buzz speak used daily with little regard in actual practice they espoused. The fact that some people were punished, written off as useless or fired for the smallest thing, while some of THE most egregious HR acts went unpunished tell you enough about how this place is run as a fiefdom.

The winter/spring/summer/fall annual layoffs were always a joy and the constant state of worry made it hard to plan for any future with the company. Rue is very top heavy with Senor Managers, Directors, VPs, SVPs and C Level Folk - who, for all intensive purposes, gave zero concern to hiring people solely to pad their budget, only to drive these hires out with impossible expectations or lay them off when it helped make a budget number and hence; their bonus! The order of chaos in how the company ran was in the magnitude of each department was like it's own distant outpost in the Vietnam War with everyone fending for themselves without any of the tools necessary to wage war. Nothing worked, nothing aligned, everything was broken and it was always the grunt's fault; blame the people who had no tools, knowledge or training. Training and Career development was an afterthought and lip service was the modus operandi. There are some deplorable human beings who manage this place; they have no regard to the workers who actually do the work. If you have an shred of decency as a person, you don't want to work here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Obviously you don't want to fix the problems as this has how the company has been run for years. Good luck - Flash Sales are the Hottest thing since sliced bread. Don't worry that Gilt was sold for a fraction of its highest value and One Kings Lane is now worthless. Rue is a special place that is continues to disrupt, so keep on keeping on!

Aug 9, 2016

Wow, thanks for sharing your feedback. I’m sorry to hear about some of the bad experiences you had while at Rue. That’s not the type of employee experience we strive for as a company. We want our... More