Rue La La Reviews | Glassdoor

Rue La La CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun company outings and good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Get to participate in sample sales (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Can sometimes be stressful but you'll like it if you enjoy a fast paced environment (in 19 reviews)

• When you have a concern or issue you have no one to go to because everything is leaked (in 14 reviews)

"Pay poorly & never promote"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La (More than a year)

Pros

Only place in Boston to work if you are interested in fashion.

Cons

Very clique-y.
    People are promoted based on who the management likes.
    No matter how much work you take on, a promotion is never an option.
    Don't feel valued or appreciated.

Advice to Management

With the turnover rate so high, so you should take the time to make your team members feel important and valued. That way, you aren't hiring new people every couple of months and having to train them.

There is a reason EVERYONE is leaving.

Aug 14, 2017

Thank you for your feedback; looks like you are a current employee - I'd love the chance to chat more about your experience. We continue to promote associates each year and our turnover rates are... More

"Assistant Buyer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Rue La La as a contractor

Pros

Free Snacks
    Bagel Fridays
    Cute office

Cons

Long hours
    Very little interaction

Advice to Management

Hire some men

"Unprofessional Environment"

Former Employee - Contract Designer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Contract Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Rue helped me land a gig at a much better company! I learned to put out work at a very fast pace and do magic with Photoshop. You have to learn to be pretty scrappy as a designer as budget is low and they can't afford to shoot many of the sales. I am also able to say I had an agency experience as I worked on numerous brands while at Rue.

Cons

This was the most unprofessional work environment I have ever been a part of. This was my first job out of college so I didn't really know what to expect in terms of professionalism. I am now at a company that exemplifies what professionalism should be and Rue fell short in just about every area. The lack of professionalism was apparent from HR procedures to daily conversations in the office. Rue is a young-female dominated environment. There is an enormous lack of diversity. Gossip thrives in the office and coworkers don't treat each other well. There is a ton of trash talking across departments and you rarely see cross-company collaboration.

One of the most ridiculous things I witnessed came from HR. A coworker was applying for a position internally. HR scheduled her for multiple interviews and NO ONE showed up for them! She sat for thirty minutes (I think it was on two occasions) and eventually gave up. When she contacted the individual in HR who set everything up, she was barely apologetic. The entire process took so long that this individual eventually got picked up by a much better company that actually values her and her time.

My final complaint is regarding how they treat contractors. Apart from overtime there is nothing good about working contract at Rue. They will treat you as an intern and expect you to work as much as a full time employee and leave you out of their social cliques. If they tell you there is a good chance of becoming full time they are lying! (You don't want to be full time anyways!)

Advice to Management

I think professionalism needs to be felt from the top down. Diversify your hiring methods and work on getting a range of ages and genders in the office. Flash sales are also dying out so you might want to come up with a new business plan...

"Junior Graphic Designer - Boutiques"

Former Employee - Contract Junior Designer - Boutiques in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Contract Junior Designer - Boutiques in Boston, MA

Pros

-Fast paced environment that helps with time management.

Cons

- Everyone here was incredibly catty and with every situation it was more about who to shift blame on or be annoyed with, rather than just working as a team with the other departments. Most emails received by people was written in a "snobby" tone, rather than professional and helpful....the worst part was that these women prided themselves on that tone.
    - Brought in as a contractor, told that we're just as included as the full-timers. This was totally false, we were left out of the Holiday Parties, and just the general "full-time circle". An example of this is that the Rue employees pride themselves on making birthdays of Rue employees memorable, with decorating desks, special treats and a card signed by the whole department. Unfortunately I watched another contractor's birthday get completely forgotton, and when I asked about it the response was "well she's not full-time, so it's not really the same".....basically contractors are not valued the same.

"Care About Your Contractors"

Pros

I worked a on great team, we all supported each other. You do a get a sense of a collaborative environment. The office is nice and is located near train stations, they also have shuttles that take you to and from work. Everyone is also very young so you get a hip and trendy feel. Good starter company to be at for 2-3 years.

Cons

Please treat your contractors like actual people who're part of a team. Even if contractors do amazing work, they won't be hired full time. I've seen a lot of hard workers come and go, sometimes within a short notice. Regardless of how many times the company "restructures", at its core it's still the employees a company relies on to help them succeed. The work you do is very meaningless. You don't leave with a sense of accomplishment rather you go home and come back and wait for things to repeat. Not a lot of opportunities to move up. They also lie about free snacks...there are none.

Advice to Management

Make your contractors feel they aren't disposable tools. There is a disconnect between upper management and low level workers. During my time here I had no idea what the managers did besides go to meetings. I never felt confident going to them about any issues I head. They worked better as figure heads rather than actual managers.

"Creative and Collaborative Environment; Few Opportunities for Growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookline, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookline, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Rue, the entire brand works as one team - everyone relies on each other and there truly is a high level of "team spirit." There is even a Rue Spirit team to make sure of that! It's a highly collaborative and creative environment that provides employees with a wealth of access to new trends, new technologies, and new ideas.

Cons

There isn't much room for growth in this company - there are few areas where promotion is possible, but once you get promoted once or twice, that's as far as you'll go. (Your work load will increase, but your salary will not). Unfortunately, there is also a huge issue here with work/life balance. Most employees work well beyond their designated hours, often with no recognition or reward.

Advice to Management

See above

"Essential Goals Not Clear"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

For a young software developer right out of school this can be a fun place to work which includes a great deal of free food, swag and of course a keg in the development office.
    It can be a generally friendly environment once you have been there for a while however the more Sr Technology Team members appear to be very guarded. It's almost like they know something you have yet to discover.

Cons

Actions do not appear to match the information being handed out down the chain of command. A great deal of the Rue tech environment is extremely old and has become a support challenge.

For more senior developers the dorm like atmosphere can actually be a turn off. It seems unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Decide what is essential to the business in the coming year and address it with laser like focus. Also since the technology group does not have many senior developers address the core issues that leads to their departure. If you don't know what the issues are ask and correct.

Dec 7, 2015 – CTO

Hi,

Thank you for your candid feedback. I'm sorry that you didn't have a more positive experience at Rue, as we strive for a much higher bar than what you describe.

In just the few months I... More

"Getting worse with no help from production"

Current Employee - Buyer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

Supportive people, flexibility, in boston, desired to work at, no hard dress code

Cons

Having been with the company for awhile now, it has really been changing for the worse with no help from production. Being on a team that works with this group, I can say that coming into work and having to work with production makes me question why I work here everyday. They have managed to take a job I used to love and have made it into this process driven, horrible work experience. Everything is black and white. The company to use thrive on being flexible with change, and all its concerned with now is processes all the while driving people out and now really considering the long term issues developing by all the new processes. Successful companies have come and gone, and if Rue continues in this manner, they will be the only reason for their failure, getting in their own way and driving out amazing talent.

Advice to Management

really consider the long term effects of decisions and all parties involved. There are many other jobs out there that pay more with MUCH less effort and time and stress and anxiety. If you see unhappy employees make a change. Dont just say youre going to make a change.

"Great Atmosphere, Terrible Support"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, prime location and great people working very hard. There is always a feeling of "we're in this together." Bagel Fridays are great if you're into that sort of thing. Sample sales and the discounts couldn't be beat.

Cons

Rue is a cluster of dysfunction. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Always choosing to improve customer experience at the expense of its employees. Will not invest in making "unsexy" improvements to the tech backbones to make things more efficient...will just always hire more people to fill in.

"Not the same place that it used to be."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open office with fun culture (not your typical cube farm). Good collaboration amongst cross capability teams. Depending on your level there is opportunity for growth and professional development. Fun brand.

Cons

WAY too many cooks in the kitchen; inefficient process. C level leaders and below have differing goals that cause confusion and conflict at the lower levels. Huge chance of burnout based on the fast pace. Lack of process continues to plague certain departments. Call themselves a tech company but with only a handful of developers there isn't a whole lot happening.

Advice to Management

Define a company mission then share them with everyone. Make sure all leaders are given the same goals to avoid confusion and inconsistencies. Figure out why people are leaving in droves and actually do something about it.

Sep 8, 2015 – Chief People Officer

Hello! You'll have to forgive me as I have only been at Rue three months. I am the new Chief People Officer. First, your complaints are not without merit and I'd like to apologize for whatever... More