Rue La La Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rue La La CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun company outings and good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Get to participate in sample sales (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Can sometimes be stressful but you'll like it if you enjoy a fast paced environment (in 19 reviews)

• When you have a concern or issue you have no one to go to because everything is leaked (in 14 reviews)

"Meh"

Pros

It's in Boston and the name carries weight

Cons

No structure, tons of girls who don't really know which end is up

"Dissapointing, Toxic Culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Office in Fort Point (growing "Innovation District")
    - Associate Sample Sales (when you're not getting shoved out of the way)
    - Working for a recognized brand
    - Some fun people to work side-by-side with (with a "we're all in this together" attitude)

Cons

- Technology, technology, technology! We keep hearing "we know and we're working on it), but have never been provided a timeline, a plan, or have seen any results. When tools are "enhanced", project managers don't include appropriate teams and tools end up not working appropriately.
    - Senior leadership, they're pompous and don't seem to care about their team, just being spiteful to the other leaders they don't like.
    - Negative culture, low morale
    - No support, from leadership, IT, across departments
    - No communication

Advice to Management

Focus a little more on technology, infrastructure and communication. What could be an exciting environment is plagued by broken systems, angry associates and pompous leadership. Stop hiring a new VP or president when you want something fixed. This is a business, not magic-land. Giving yet another person $250K won't fix your company, most would argue it makes it worse. Communicate with your teams and create a collaborative culture with tools that we need.

There's SO much potential with this brand, but without some serious changes, our successes won't last too much longer as we won't be able to stay competitive and will ultimately "lose the flash sale race."

"My Mom said if you don't have anything nice to say...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Boston based company, creative working environment

Cons

No growth, balance is rare, no development roadmap

Advice to Management

Clean house Ben and ask people why they leave!!!!

"Stalls your career , too many issues, very dissatisfying workplace"

Current Employee - Event Production in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Event Production in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Departure of old CEO helped relieve the company from some of the old Draconian culture
    filled with intimidation, flip-flopping, favoritism, angry outbursts by the former CEO and an altogether bi-polar atmosphere .The only good thing is that your people are talented, bright individuals who know how to do great work – they deserve more care than you give them.

Cons

1) The company has a set of values (collaborative, kind, decisive, tenacious, innovative) but the management team does not exhibit one these values individually or collectively so what’s the point?

2) Barely any cultural/racial diversity.

3) Gossip-Centric Community: The HR department is the worst example of gossip-promoting within the company and has caused most employees to lose respect and trust in the department as a whole – there is no one that doesn’t censor in front of any member of HR even in the case of employee complaints. In particular, the Chief People Officer tolerates and actively engages in gossip about former and current employees.

4) Salary Differential: Too many employees at the same title have salary differences of 15k+. Does management not know that employees speak to one another and find this out? Especially on the 2nd floor. Value us enough to even the playing field a bit more.

5) Favoritism: It’s been a little better since Davis stepped in but overall, there is heavy favoritism of a select few “high potential employees” and heavy disregard for anyone else.

6) Questionable confidentiality: There are confidential documents left on printers across the company – even separation agreements have been forgotten at printers - no wonder Boston recruiters have started warning people to avoid this place.

7) Employee Surveys: The fundamental problem is that no one trusts they are anonymous because no one trusts management or HR . A third-party consultant company should take these surveys thru careful administration.

Advice to Management

STOP GOSSIPING: Many teams do it, even executive management does it but for the HR team to engage in gossip and character assessments in their open-aired 3rd floor cubicles or at the copiers is the least “kind and collaborative” thing they can do – they should cut it out and try to engage in respectful classy discussions instead of reputation assassinations of their colleagues – otherwise why work in HR? Aren’t you supposed to help your colleagues succeed?

VALUE YOUR PEOPLE: If you care about why you are losing so many top-performers, perhaps you should talk 1:1 to your associate-level employees who make up the collective of your company and ask us what concerns we have directly, what our fears are at work, what motivates us. The new CEO and CFO should spend time actually getting to know people’s names on their teams instead of managing from the top-down. Here’s a tip “manage collaboratively” like our values state.

KEY TAKEAWAY: you have so much potential as a company. Worry less about making q4 targets and more about sustaining the great talent you have between your walls. Challenge yourselves to be a great company to work for, not just a company to purchase things from. Strive to be the best e-commerce company to work for, I have faith that Davis can turn this ship around.

"Can't overcome the talent loss"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Still some good hardworking folks

Cons

Senior management doesn't get it. They drove out the best talent and it is now a shell of what it used to be.

Advice to Management

Value the key contributors don't let them go! find out why they are all leaving.

"Don't even think about it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of young, fun people. Monthly sample sales. Decent location in South Boston (although it could use more close food options). Bagel Fridays.

Cons

Impossible to get anything done. Culture of failure. Micromanagement, no true delegation or empowerment. Too many cliques and silos with us versus them mentalities.

Way too much work, nothing taken off your plate when new stuff added. Inability to prioritize, upper management wants it all and doesn't care or want to hear that sometimes it isn't possible.

Advice to Management

Values aren't just words on a wall, they need to be lived every day. If you're not happy with the way the company operates, look within, everyone takes their cues from senior management.

The CEO needs to think about whether he's getting the results he wants from his C-level executives and clean out the ones who are not helping the company.

Stop hiring executives that commute from another city, it doesn't work.

"Rue La La - The Juice Is Not Worth The Squeeze"

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great health insurance (Some of the best that I have had with any job.)
    -Some very intelligent and capable people working here (Several people that understand business and how to operate a successful business are in the shadows just waiting for an opportunity to excel.)
    -Free coffee and a nice breakroom
    -Comfortable chairs and updated office spaces (It is clean, fresh, and does promote positive energy.)

Cons

-Very limited growth opportunity in most areas of the company (Many jobs openings are created through turnover yet the positions are mainly filled externally. There is very little focus on development and growth of internal resources even if they have the potential to progress with the company.)
    -Very poor Senior Management / Leadership (I have never been associated with an organization that has so many VPs, Directors, and a C Level Managers for every aspect of the organization. The greatest issue with Rue La La is that even though some of these people are good managers there is not a Leader among them. The C Level Managers are exactly as titled "Chiefs" who expect the Indians to follow without realizing the Indians have agendas of their own that do not align. Because communication and direction is also poor from the top down, it is often too late once the discombobulation is figured out.)
    -Not honest with employees regarding the business (Senior Management has difficulty answering the tough questions and making leadership decisions that are in the best interest of the business. There is an overall lack of trust from the top down that hampers implementations and moving the business forward. Empowerment is not a virtue that the Senior Management team instills in employees.)
    -High turnover rate at all areas and levels of the business (I would suggest asking the hiring manager / recruiter the turnover rate for the position you are applying for. Read all of the reviews on this site and don't just take my word for it. It is hard to gain any traction when your team is constantly changing.)
    -Inferior / Outdated systems (I will not elaborate due to this info possibly being a "trade secret" but it takes a much larger team than needed to keep everything up and running systematically each day.)
    -Overall lack of company culture (The culture is sold to recruits as exciting yet there is no company focus on culture or making culture an essential part of the job. If you are considering a position with Rue La La ask an employee or the Hiring Manager what are the Rue La La culture initiatives and as an added bonus ask them what is the company's mission statement.)
    -Not willing to spend money on technological improvements (It seems that the company is concerned with the bottom line even if it means falling farther behind our competition at every step from opening the website to shipping the order. We can spend money on hiring more Senior Level Management, bonuses (if you are eligible), and charitable benefits that mostly benefit the publicity of the company.)
    -Company is not customer focused (We are a flash sale site that should cater to our customers, many of which are extremely loyal, however we do not. The bottom line comes first and the customer comes second. If we ultimately fail our lack of customer focus will be the reason. We are not the only game in town and need to realize the customer is who ultimately pays our bills.)
    -Overall lack of communication (This is at all levels of the organization. We have more silos than Kansas in our lines of communication. This is an issue that is between business units and interdepartmental as well. This has been an issue that has plagued the company from day one and no one talks to their counterparts or internal customers creating many inefficiencies and many wasted hours of playing catch up.)
    -Unorganized (When I started with Rue La La, no one was prepared for me to start my position and there was no hint of an on-boarding process past getting the necessary paperwork filled out and my email set up. They knew I was starting but zero organization surrounding the process. Basically it was here is your desk, go introduce yourself to the team, now get to work.)
    -Benefits (The insurance is fantastic however the total benefit package could be improved. You are told before starting that the company has a 401k match. What they fell to tell you is that the match is yearly and not with the pay cycle. Several of the benefits do not benefit the majority of employees.)
    -Lack of recognition for work performed. (There is very little recognition for doing a good job. Overall it is a "What have you done for me today?" mentality.)

Advice to Management

-Develop clear direction and set legitimate goals for the business and communicate that direction to all employees of the company. To often we chase a gnat around the room while an elephant that we never see sits in the corner.
    -Learn to lead your teams. You need to step back and look at the big picture and correct the basics. Communication is terrible and that is not debated by anyone at any level - fix that first as it is the key to forming the teams and bringing unison and vision to the organization. Most important be Leaders and not Dictators - we want to be lead and not commanded.
    -Learn to listen. There are many employees that have great ideas and input that are never heard or given a chance.
    -Learn to trust and empower your teams. We spend too much time waiting on a green light for simple decisions that have to be approved and bought into by too many people. This always brings up inhibiting questions that drag out for too long. This issue goes away with a unified and clear path of direction.
    -Stay consistent. Too often the direction and initiatives are flavor of the month that change without notice or warning and never communicated.
    -Put the customer above the bottom line. We fail the customer too often due to trying to save a buck. They are who will make us successful or put us out of business.
    -Be accountable. We are a fast paced company and not all decisions are going to be good decisions. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.
    -Learn to dissect and evaluate decisions that impact the company. Before making a decision, ask yourself - "Is the juice really worth the squeeze?"

"Toxic Environment"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Sample Sales
    - Smart People
    - Strong sense of team in some parts of the organization
    - Cool office in a great location

Cons

- Jerks in leadership positions
    - Little reward for hard work
    - Constant message to employees that they're underperforming
    - Ever changing direction
    - Undecisive leadership
    - No accountability
    - A lot of dead weight
    - Layoffs happening
    - Unclear organizational goals
    - No work/life balance
    - Nepotism thrives here
    - Underpayed

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and stick with it for more than 3 months.

"many laying off/firing, Micro management, overwork and bad working environment"

Pros

Good pay and perks, good location to commute

Cons

too much micro management and over work (may be 60 hours a week)

Advice to Management

Treat well to your employees.

"You Deserve Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Company has fun events and perks and the office space is nicely located and attractive.

Cons

VERY disorganized departments that don't work well with each other. The employees are pretty cliquey and it can feel like high school. The company used to care about their employees and rewarded them for their hard work, now they take advantage of young talent and drive. Their "on-call contract" program is basically just an excuse to not give benefits and and treat employees like their disposable with sudden mass lay offs. Pretty much no job security. Not worth your time.

Advice to Management

Actually communicate with your employees and treat them with some respect.