Rue La La Reviews | Glassdoor

Rue La La Reviews

Updated July 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun company outings and good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Sample sales (usually once a month) (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Can sometimes be stressful but you'll like it if you enjoy a fast paced environment (in 19 reviews)

• When you have a concern or issue you have no one to go to because everything is leaked (in 14 reviews)

"Rue La La"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment
    Laid Back
    Casual Dress Code
    Sample Sales

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth
    Low salaries

Advice to Management

Invest your people that work there, take their career paths seriously.

"Fashion forward company with amazing people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like many other reviews, the people are the best! I respected and looked up to my boss and appreciated him always having my back. Coworkers and peers were amazing as well with everyone having the same desire to make the company great. Amazing holiday party, fun parties occasionally (Kentucky derby etc.), a great mentor program and Rue U trainings are great. New CEO has been with the company since the start and I think will do a great job with the right people on his senior management team. I almost forgot about Waffle Wednesday's; Dave on the tech team deserves a spirit award for his knack for
    bringing "rueligans" together.

Perks aside, it was great to feel empowered to make decisions and be innovative (however that did change slightly over time).

Cons

In the beginning I did feel empowered to make decisions, but over time and with different management changes, I felt like that went away. The work became less rewarding because management became very reactionary and it felt like there was no straightforward, long term plan. Similarly, while it had always been a plan of mine to grow with the company, my position began to feel stagnant with no room for growth. Certain members of upper management made the day to day work environment very stressful with last minute decision making that always had a ripple effect. Over time, it felt like I lost sight of what the company stood for because it changed frequently. There became a definite lack of transparency. Salaries are not competitive.

Advice to Management

Hopefully the CEO will leave his legacy and pass his passion for the company on to others on his staff. Please do not pass over great leaders among the HR department to bring in outside talent; similarly, work on keeping current employees happy, not with perks, but by offering competitive salaries and career growth. The company could benefit from an internal recognition program to drive motivation during quarterly meetings (not just a peer to peer recognition).

"Overworked and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get an okay discount on site and bagels on Friday- also if you get your friend to apply and stay for 6 months you get a bonus. If you stay past 7pm working (read as 2 hours of unpaid overtime) they pay for your Uber home!

Cons

A normal work day is 11 hours meaning 55 hours a week and there is no paid overtime!
    The company as a "throw someone else under the bus" vibe so if you start off at the bottom you will be FORCED to take the blame for everything that is and mostly is not your fault, in my experience.
    Management did not support me when I asked for help and pretended I did not ask for help when the problem bubbled up.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees for the extra 15 hours of work they do.
    When your employees are forced to work an extra 2-3 hours every single day buy them dinner since you are not paying them for the extra hours of labor they are giving you for free.
    Do not tell incoming employees the position they hold has a 6 month minimum because it is realistically a 1.5- 2 year minimum.

"I really enjoyed my time at Rue"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a product manager at Rue for about 1.5 years and only left in order to scale a successful side project into a full-time career. I have worked at other eCommerce companies and corporate environments as well as in startups so this review is framed in terms of that experience. Here are the pros:

* The people - this sounds like a cookie-cutter response but I honestly enjoyed the people I worked with and I continue to spend time with them in social settings. There were evenings where we would stay in the office until 7ish just to drink from the keg, play ping pong, and listen to Prince.

* The management - I can really only speak to the managers in product and engineering, but I thought that they were all reasonable, friendly, and easy to work with/for. I learned a lot from the VP who hired me.

*Location - the office is relatively swanky; it's not Google or anything, but it's nice. It's an open layout if you're into that sort of thing. It's also just a short walk from downtown and the seaport.

*The men's bathroom - the bathroom counter is adorned with an elegant candelabra - classy, yet understated. Whoever put that there is my hero.

Cons

*The snacks ain't free :/ GIMME!

Advice to Management

Keep innovating. DO NOT REMOVE CANDELABRA. Ask Matt F what he likes the most.

"slave type job"

Current Employee - Order Picker in Shepherdsville, KY
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Shepherdsville, KY

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people you work closely with

Cons

this is the worst job i have every had in my life. this is a american sweat shop who do not care one bit about their employee all they care about is the customer we aren't give proper cooling during the summer or heat in the winter. the management suck to high heaven and hr is a disgrace. all the pets that management has is a disgrace.this company is no better then the sweat shop we talk about in other country. this company doesn't share the wealth with the people who do all the work but lazy leader,supervisor and management who do nothing but ru people off . take a look at the revolving door that exist in this place this is a very bad company

Advice to Management

pay the people who making you money we can't pay our bill with the little change you pay us change the management team

Rue La La Response

Oct 4, 2016

We appreciate your feelings and perspective about your experience at Rue. Certainly not how we want you to remember your time with us. Please know that we have a high level of overall associate... More

6. "Great group of talented people"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment that fosters creativity. Passionate teams that are bright, hard-working, and invested in what they do.

Cons

High chance of burnout if a fast pace isn't your thing.

Advice to Management

Invest in the talent that has invested their hard work into the company.

"VP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun fast paced culture. Really focuses on growing individuals. Strong Technology team

Cons

Company performance is strong but still requires increased revenue growth.

Advice to Management

Keep trying new business ideas and partnerships.

"Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Scattered among the company there are/were a few good people who were fantastic to work with. Summer Friday's were nice only if you could get your work done, which was only a handful of times. The location was a little out of the way, but being downtown was a plus as it beats commuting to the burbs. The big pro of all was "Them Friday Bagels!!!!" Nothing says I appreciate you and your hard work like a Friday Bagel. Mmmmm Yum!

Cons

In a word; Machiavellian - this place has the worst management I have ever encountered. Most of them would consume their own young if it helped them get a promotion or meet their bonus structure. Imagine the worst corporate buzz speak used daily with little regard in actual practice they espoused. The fact that some people were punished, written off as useless or fired for the smallest thing, while some of THE most egregious HR acts went unpunished tell you enough about how this place is run as a fiefdom.

The winter/spring/summer/fall annual layoffs were always a joy and the constant state of worry made it hard to plan for any future with the company. Rue is very top heavy with Senor Managers, Directors, VPs, SVPs and C Level Folk - who, for all intensive purposes, gave zero concern to hiring people solely to pad their budget, only to drive these hires out with impossible expectations or lay them off when it helped make a budget number and hence; their bonus! The order of chaos in how the company ran was in the magnitude of each department was like it's own distant outpost in the Vietnam War with everyone fending for themselves without any of the tools necessary to wage war. Nothing worked, nothing aligned, everything was broken and it was always the grunt's fault; blame the people who had no tools, knowledge or training. Training and Career development was an afterthought and lip service was the modus operandi. There are some deplorable human beings who manage this place; they have no regard to the workers who actually do the work. If you have an shred of decency as a person, you don't want to work here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Obviously you don't want to fix the problems as this has how the company has been run for years. Good luck - Flash Sales are the Hottest thing since sliced bread. Don't worry that Gilt was sold for a fraction of its highest value and One Kings Lane is now worthless. Rue is a special place that is continues to disrupt, so keep on keeping on!

Rue La La Response

Aug 9, 2016

Wow, thanks for sharing your feedback. I’m sorry to hear about some of the bad experiences you had while at Rue. That’s not the type of employee experience we strive for as a company. We want our... More

9. "Clerk"

Current Employee - Clerk in Shepherdsville, KY
    Current Employee - Clerk in Shepherdsville, KY

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

The health insurance is the only true pro that I have of this company after three years.

Cons

You are set up for failure from day one. Single mothers, and or family oriented persons should not apply.

Advice to Management

Change your attitude about employees and policies.

"Fun challenges, excellent team"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People I work with regularly are hard working, and fully qualified, if not over qualified, at their job
    Great social environment. people are friendly and like to hang out after work or do activities outside of hours together.

Cons

Ability to be promoted in some departments is rather difficult. Management seems to not understand what the actual market is like
    It's not defined what each role is supposed to do, so getting promoted into a role is made extra challenging

Advice to Management

Define your job roles, it will help people understand how to get to where they want to be