Rue La La Reviews | Glassdoor

Rue La La Reviews

Updated April 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Sample sales (usually once a month) (in 20 reviews)

• Fun company outings and good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Can sometimes be stressful but you'll like it if you enjoy a fast paced environment (in 19 reviews)

• When you have a concern or issue you have no one to go to because everything is leaked (in 14 reviews)

"Great place to work a couple years ago"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my experience in 2013, I've heard there was a lot of change afterwards. At that time it was a fantastic place to be a software engineer working on the new website. Smart people, good processes, low stress, good job security. Good snacks, fun vibrant culture. My ratings below reflect conditions two years ago.

Cons

Nearby lunch places are sparse, and parking in the area is expensive. I hear that after my departure (Jan 2014) the things I liked about it mostly changed for the worse, and later learned that many people I'd known there had left. Today, caveat emptor.

Advice to Management

Figure out what awful thing happened two years ago, turn it around it if you can, and try to prevent it recurring.

Rue La La Response

Feb 4, 2016 – CTO

Hi, Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. Having recently joined Rue in the summer of 2015, I wanted to respond to your advice. In short: done, done, and ongoing. You are quite correct that ... More

2. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

Innovative, fast paced, everyone contributes which is rare in a corporate environment. Great benefits and I have never been at a company before that cares so much about their people.

Cons

No company is perfect but this company prepares you to be successful. The only thing I would say is be a little less last minute with changes to our boutiques/upcoming strategy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job and investing in your people as you have been! Really excited about Mark as our new CEO as he has been with the company for a long time and gets our culture and cares about the people in it.

3. "I really enjoyed my time at Rue"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a product manager at Rue for about 1.5 years and only left in order to scale a successful side project into a full-time career. I have worked at other eCommerce companies and corporate environments as well as in startups so this review is framed in terms of that experience. Here are the pros:

* The people - this sounds like a cookie-cutter response but I honestly enjoyed the people I worked with and I continue to spend time with them in social settings. There were evenings where we would stay in the office until 7ish just to drink from the keg, play ping pong, and listen to Prince.

* The management - I can really only speak to the managers in product and engineering, but I thought that they were all reasonable, friendly, and easy to work with/for. I learned a lot from the VP who hired me.

*Location - the office is relatively swanky; it's not Google or anything, but it's nice. It's an open layout if you're into that sort of thing. It's also just a short walk from downtown and the seaport.

*The men's bathroom - the bathroom counter is adorned with an elegant candelabra - classy, yet understated. Whoever put that there is my hero.

Cons

*The snacks ain't free :/ GIMME!

Advice to Management

Keep innovating. DO NOT REMOVE CANDELABRA. Ask Matt F what he likes the most.

5. "Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing co-op"

Pros

Good work life balance and friendly culture

Cons

Higher Management not easy going

"Analyst"

Pros

The culture is excellent. Everything from the relaxed dress code to bagel Friday.

Cons

Inter-departmental communication could be improved.

7. "Freedom and individual ownership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Associates are given liberal measures to solve problems and work together towards solutions in a collaborative and engaging manner. Teams work autonomously towards team and company goals.

Cons

The work balance is not always balanced towards teams equally. The entry level associates do a lot of the work, to compensate for the lack of automation and reasonably current systems.

Advice to Management

Standardization of expectations across teams would go a long way to boost morale and set expectations. It's not a major flaw, but it would help make a great company be amazing.

Rue La La Response

Jan 5, 2017

Thanks for your thoughts on our collaborative culture! Agreed that teams work well together to achieve great things. Balance of work is always something that should be looked at in teams and voiced ... More

8. "Shipping Coordinator"

Former Employee - Shipping Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Shipping Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and training. Innovative company with a clear mission. Opportunity to advance to different departments

Cons

The parking situation is tough as the area has started to grow with other businesses

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Very Good Leadership, Very Challenging Business Segment.."

I worked at Rue La La full-time

Pros

The People: Rue has some of the hardest working people in the Boston area. Yes, the workforce in general is rather young, however they are consistently able to rally to the challenge of the ever changing fashion world and e-commerce challenges.

The Technology, I worked at Rue in the Technology group for almost three years and whiles it's easy to point out challenges and negatives I would say many people overlook the opportunities that exists. Rue spends a great deal of money on Technology and tools to ensure they have a platform that can be scaled. Do they have some Tech debt from decisions that were made long long ago? Yes of course, not many companies these days don't have any tech debt. From the moment I walked in the door at Rue, it was very clear it had all of the ingredients for success (Money, Technology, Leadership, Empowerment).

With all of that said, Rue is certainly not for everyone. Rue is faced paced, they are constantly trying to navigate the ever changing retail marketplace and yes they are even sometimes making decisions in the moment that can be second guessed and criticized by others at a later point. Let's be honest, this is a company that has grown dramatically in the last 10 years and they are constantly trying to grow and gain market share. With this aggressive mindset, you are bound to make wrong decisions, which by the way is perfectly acceptable in my mind and part of the process. I would rather make a decision and fail and learn, then not make a decision and see opportunity pass by being risk adverse.

Mindset: Yes as I mentioned before Rue has a large appetite for change and growth. Sometimes that appetite is larger than what the business can handle, however I would take that appetite any day over a company that has no ability to grow or reinvest.

This is a young company that has large aspirations, you will only succeed here if you are open minded, patient and full of energy and commitment to make things better. This also includes the ability to pivot on a regular basis, as the retail marketplace changes often and pushes retail businesses into hyper go mode.

Leadership: Yes, like any company Rue has some very strong leaders and some leaders that could use an upgrade, however starting at the top of the chain the CEO is one of the best guys around. I interacted with him almost on a daily basis and for a few months I reported directly to him. He is very approachable, open-minded, practical and a forward thinker. By far one of the best CEO’s I have worked for and I have worked for a bunch from small start up’s to fortune 500 companies. They have a new CTO who is extremely bright, brings good energy and progressive thinking. The CFO is a stand up guys, who has been at Rue in multiple positions for 12+ years. He knows the business and the marketplace very well and his new role as CFO is a great fit.

Overall, very good place to work if you have the right mindset and you embrace a little chaos and a large opportunity to succeed. I would certainly still be working at Rue if a life changing opportunity did not present itself. Even with that choice, it was a very tough place to leave.

Cons

* Tough Business Segment, good bit of competition in this "Flash Sales" business space.
    * Yes, it's Boston, so parking a high and place for lunch are limited, however that comes with working downtown. With that being said, it's very close to South Station so commuting is very easy.
    * Challenging area to hire good talent, as the Tech market in Boston is very hot and it's hard to recruit. However this is an issue that other companies in Boston face as well.

10. "Good place to work for because of the culture."

Former Employee - Supervisor in Shepherdsville, KY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have great benefits. 3 weeks paid vacation after 90 days (pro rated). health benefits immediate upon hire

Cons

Do not have consistant work practices.

Advice to Management

Be consistant with all practices.

11. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

awesome culture, innovative, fun, fast paced

Cons

I cant think of many

Advice to Management

focus on keeping the culture a fun and creative. The company has grown quickly, don't lose who you are