Rue La La Reviews | Glassdoor

Rue La La Reviews

Updated July 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun company outings and good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Sample sales (usually once a month) (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Can sometimes be stressful but you'll like it if you enjoy a fast paced environment (in 19 reviews)

• When you have a concern or issue you have no one to go to because everything is leaked (in 14 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Former Employee - Boutique Production Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Boutique Production Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing team-truly some of the best people I've worked with
    Fun, collaborative, fast paced, never two days alike
    Lots of opportunity to craft the exact job you want if you go after it

Cons

High turn over rate and HR doesn't seem to be able to fix the problem
    Long hours and plan to work over thanksgiving
    Not clear where the company is going or what leadership is planning

Rue La La Response

Jul 24, 2017

Hello - thank you for taking the time to provide a review. I agree, the people at Rue are my favorite part of being here, some of the smartest and kindest I've worked with. With turnover, our current... More

"Very Good Leadership, Very Challenging Business Segment.."

I worked at Rue La La full-time

Pros

The People: Rue has some of the hardest working people in the Boston area. Yes, the workforce in general is rather young, however they are consistently able to rally to the challenge of the ever changing fashion world and e-commerce challenges.

The Technology, I worked at Rue in the Technology group for almost three years and whiles it's easy to point out challenges and negatives I would say many people overlook the opportunities that exists. Rue spends a great deal of money on Technology and tools to ensure they have a platform that can be scaled. Do they have some Tech debt from decisions that were made long long ago? Yes of course, not many companies these days don't have any tech debt. From the moment I walked in the door at Rue, it was very clear it had all of the ingredients for success (Money, Technology, Leadership, Empowerment).

With all of that said, Rue is certainly not for everyone. Rue is faced paced, they are constantly trying to navigate the ever changing retail marketplace and yes they are even sometimes making decisions in the moment that can be second guessed and criticized by others at a later point. Let's be honest, this is a company that has grown dramatically in the last 10 years and they are constantly trying to grow and gain market share. With this aggressive mindset, you are bound to make wrong decisions, which by the way is perfectly acceptable in my mind and part of the process. I would rather make a decision and fail and learn, then not make a decision and see opportunity pass by being risk adverse.

Mindset: Yes as I mentioned before Rue has a large appetite for change and growth. Sometimes that appetite is larger than what the business can handle, however I would take that appetite any day over a company that has no ability to grow or reinvest.

This is a young company that has large aspirations, you will only succeed here if you are open minded, patient and full of energy and commitment to make things better. This also includes the ability to pivot on a regular basis, as the retail marketplace changes often and pushes retail businesses into hyper go mode.

Leadership: Yes, like any company Rue has some very strong leaders and some leaders that could use an upgrade, however starting at the top of the chain the CEO is one of the best guys around. I interacted with him almost on a daily basis and for a few months I reported directly to him. He is very approachable, open-minded, practical and a forward thinker. By far one of the best CEO’s I have worked for and I have worked for a bunch from small start up’s to fortune 500 companies. They have a new CTO who is extremely bright, brings good energy and progressive thinking. The CFO is a stand up guys, who has been at Rue in multiple positions for 12+ years. He knows the business and the marketplace very well and his new role as CFO is a great fit.

Overall, very good place to work if you have the right mindset and you embrace a little chaos and a large opportunity to succeed. I would certainly still be working at Rue if a life changing opportunity did not present itself. Even with that choice, it was a very tough place to leave.

Cons

* Tough Business Segment, good bit of competition in this "Flash Sales" business space.
    * Yes, it's Boston, so parking a high and place for lunch are limited, however that comes with working downtown. With that being said, it's very close to South Station so commuting is very easy.
    * Challenging area to hire good talent, as the Tech market in Boston is very hot and it's hard to recruit. However this is an issue that other companies in Boston face as well.

3. "Good place to work for because of the culture."

Former Employee - Supervisor in Shepherdsville, KY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have great benefits. 3 weeks paid vacation after 90 days (pro rated). health benefits immediate upon hire

Cons

Do not have consistant work practices.

Advice to Management

Be consistant with all practices.

4. "Great company"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

awesome culture, innovative, fun, fast paced

Cons

I cant think of many

Advice to Management

focus on keeping the culture a fun and creative. The company has grown quickly, don't lose who you are

5. "High Entrepreneurial Company"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ideas are shared openly, and welcomed. Fun, fast pace--not afraid to try new things and shift gears if an initiative isn't working-across all facets of the business.

High growth-although direct career paths aren't always clear-there is a real desire to create opportunities. Internal mobility is promoted and celebrated.

Cons

Fast pace isn't for everyone. We haven't figured out all the processes, so that can cause frustration at times. If you are looking for a repeatable, predictable environment, Rue is not for you. Rue is for the individual that wants to create and work outside the box, not in.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on scaling the business and promoting a culture that allows people to expand their horizons and challenge the status quo.

"Good company, caring management"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

Cool, fun working environment, great perks, free snacks and soda; lots of flexibility to create and bring your own individual experience to the team.

Cons

Catching up with their fast growth; still streamlining procedures and systems; open cubicle environment sometimes makes it difficult to find quiet space to concentrate and get work done effectively. Office lacks choices of places to go to lunch; have to walk far to get anywhere good.

Advice to Management

Trust your teams and hired expertise to do their jobs; curb the micro-managing back a bit and great things can happen. Wish some of the leaders were more down to earth and easier to approach;

"I am enjoying my time here"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is job mobility at this company

Cons

Warehouse is often loud and hot

8. "Creative, Fast moving Company. Great Culture!"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

smart people, some of the best i have worked with. Company has great benefits

Cons

Things move very fast and priorities change quickly

Advice to Management

stay the course. great company!

9. "Moving On Up"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room to grow, great internal & external benefits, women love it, young company

I started as an intern and was hired out of college to a "foot in the door" position. I've since changed positions to a job I love. The benefits exceed my expectations for any company.

Cons

Fast pace; a lot can change in a short period of time. You need to be very organized and continuously communicate to stay ahead/keep up

10. "Fast-paced environment; collaborative and supportive team"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexibility within my role to take on new tasks and responsibilities
    -Fast-paced culture and environment (works best for me personally, but not for everyone)
    -Incredibly supportive colleagues and management, open dialogue encouraged
    -Creative perks (Sample sales, summer Friday hours, Bagel Fridays)

Cons

-Growing pains within the past few years; Rue is a young company that's coming into its own
    -Resources available can limit day to day work; processes can be manual - more tech automation needed
    -Work/life balance can be challenging; at times I feel married to my mobile email