Rue La La Reviews | Glassdoor

Rue La La Reviews

Updated May 5, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Sample sales (usually once a month) (in 20 reviews)

• Fun company outings and good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Can sometimes be stressful but you'll like it if you enjoy a fast paced environment (in 19 reviews)

• When you have a concern or issue you have no one to go to because everything is leaked (in 14 reviews)

"picker/packer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shepherdsville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

you can get all the overtime you want when it's available. dedication and positive attitude get you far. good benefits. good break room. well lit parking lot. extra pay for perfect attendance.

Cons

jobs are posted to go through the motions. management does not listen to employees. pay is not competitive. your higher educations doesn't matter to the company. Higher management has ice in their veins. holiday bonus tier is a joke.

Advice to Management

pay people and they will stay. listen to employees and they will be happy. break your glass ceiling. have a heart and soul -- use them daily. base your holiday bonus on employees not on the company.

2. "Exhausting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free shipping , discount on website, bagel Friday. Seltzer fridge is amazing. Shuttle services are very convenient. Gum ball machine

Cons

No work life balance. Employees are asked to work weekends and late nights with no compensation. Time off is treated more as a privilege than a right. It is impossible to leave at 5:30 without feeling guilty.

"High Turnover, Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Designer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La (Less than a year)

Pros

If you make the effort, you can learn a lot from some people and gain some good experience. It used to be a great place to work a few years ago.

Cons

Depending on your team, it can be a toxic environment. Gossiping, pointing fingers when things so wrong, and sometimes just people being mean. The turnover is high there, and it's clear why.

"Salary"

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

people love each other because people bond when things are tough.

Cons

you work hard but are not compensated.

Advice to Management

pay people

"Constant state of bottleneck"

Pros

Smart people in certain areas

Cons

Management constantly changing mind with no reason, no brand identity

"Warehouse Associates"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Magnolia, KY
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Magnolia, KY

I worked at Rue La La (More than a year)

Pros

It was fun to work there and you had a lot of friends

Cons

To many days working 10-12 days and didn't have time for family.

Advice to Management

nothing

"Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Scattered among the company there are/were a few good people who were fantastic to work with. Summer Friday's were nice only if you could get your work done, which was only a handful of times. The location was a little out of the way, but being downtown was a plus as it beats commuting to the burbs. The big pro of all was "Them Friday Bagels!!!!" Nothing says I appreciate you and your hard work like a Friday Bagel. Mmmmm Yum!

Cons

In a word; Machiavellian - this place has the worst management I have ever encountered. Most of them would consume their own young if it helped them get a promotion or meet their bonus structure. Imagine the worst corporate buzz speak used daily with little regard in actual practice they espoused. The fact that some people were punished, written off as useless or fired for the smallest thing, while some of THE most egregious HR acts went unpunished tell you enough about how this place is run as a fiefdom.

The winter/spring/summer/fall annual layoffs were always a joy and the constant state of worry made it hard to plan for any future with the company. Rue is very top heavy with Senor Managers, Directors, VPs, SVPs and C Level Folk - who, for all intensive purposes, gave zero concern to hiring people solely to pad their budget, only to drive these hires out with impossible expectations or lay them off when it helped make a budget number and hence; their bonus! The order of chaos in how the company ran was in the magnitude of each department was like it's own distant outpost in the Vietnam War with everyone fending for themselves without any of the tools necessary to wage war. Nothing worked, nothing aligned, everything was broken and it was always the grunt's fault; blame the people who had no tools, knowledge or training. Training and Career development was an afterthought and lip service was the modus operandi. There are some deplorable human beings who manage this place; they have no regard to the workers who actually do the work. If you have an shred of decency as a person, you don't want to work here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Obviously you don't want to fix the problems as this has how the company has been run for years. Good luck - Flash Sales are the Hottest thing since sliced bread. Don't worry that Gilt was sold for a fraction of its highest value and One Kings Lane is now worthless. Rue is a special place that is continues to disrupt, so keep on keeping on!

Rue La La Response

Aug 9, 2016

Wow, thanks for sharing your feedback. I’m sorry to hear about some of the bad experiences you had while at Rue. That’s not the type of employee experience we strive for as a company. We want our ... More

9. "Clerk"

Current Employee - Clerk in Shepherdsville, KY
    Current Employee - Clerk in Shepherdsville, KY

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

The health insurance is the only true pro that I have of this company after three years.

Cons

You are set up for failure from day one. Single mothers, and or family oriented persons should not apply.

Advice to Management

Change your attitude about employees and policies.

"slave type job"

Current Employee - Order Picker in Shepherdsville, KY
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Shepherdsville, KY

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people you work closely with

Cons

this is the worst job i have every had in my life. this is a american sweat shop who do not care one bit about their employee all they care about is the customer we aren't give proper cooling during the summer or heat in the winter. the management suck to high heaven and hr is a disgrace. all the pets that management has is a disgrace.this company is no better then the sweat shop we talk about in other country. this company doesn't share the wealth with the people who do all the work but lazy leader,supervisor and management who do nothing but ru people off . take a look at the revolving door that exist in this place this is a very bad company

Advice to Management

pay the people who making you money we can't pay our bill with the little change you pay us change the management team

Rue La La Response

Oct 4, 2016

We appreciate your feelings and perspective about your experience at Rue. Certainly not how we want you to remember your time with us. Please know that we have a high level of overall associate ... More

"Overworked and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get an okay discount on site and bagels on Friday- also if you get your friend to apply and stay for 6 months you get a bonus. If you stay past 7pm working (read as 2 hours of unpaid overtime) they pay for your Uber home!

Cons

A normal work day is 11 hours meaning 55 hours a week and there is no paid overtime!
    The company as a "throw someone else under the bus" vibe so if you start off at the bottom you will be FORCED to take the blame for everything that is and mostly is not your fault, in my experience.
    Management did not support me when I asked for help and pretended I did not ask for help when the problem bubbled up.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees for the extra 15 hours of work they do.
    When your employees are forced to work an extra 2-3 hours every single day buy them dinner since you are not paying them for the extra hours of labor they are giving you for free.
    Do not tell incoming employees the position they hold has a 6 month minimum because it is realistically a 1.5- 2 year minimum.