Ruppert Landscape Reviews | Glassdoor

Craig Ruppert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "IT Manager"

I worked at Ruppert Landscape full-time

Pros

Great company that respect and treat their employees well.

Cons

Transitioning from small company into enterprise.

2. "Great Company"

I worked at Ruppert Landscape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They care about their employees and treat everyone like family. The owner knows your name and asks about your family. A company you can honestly feel good about representing in the landscape industry,

Cons

Hard to grow much career wise and salary wise unless you want to do a different job or relocate.

3. "Good company with lower than average pay"

I have been working at Ruppert Landscape full-time

Pros

Management takes care of employees and listens to concerns. Several events/outings yearly for employee appreciation

Cons

Pay is lower than you would find in similar positions with other companies.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth, not the base minimum yearly raise.

4. "field manger"

I have been working at Ruppert Landscape full-time

Pros

there are none use you and abuse you

Cons

work you into the ground and then give less than a 1000 dollar raise

5. "Im a dedicated hardworker."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ruppert Landscape full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love keeping my community clean in neat.

Cons

I dont see any downsides to this job.

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Laytonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Laytonsville, MD

I have been working at Ruppert Landscape full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong track record of growth and profitability. They promote from within and developed us. Great atmosphere, hard working dedicated group with a desire and know how to win.

Cons

Keep looking to find ways to pay the “lower levels” more.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I enjoy working here!

"Lucky to be here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laytonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laytonsville, MD

I have been working at Ruppert Landscape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid business model; stable company with an in-play 5-year strategic plan - and beating the goals! Lucky to work for a family business with a public infrastructure. Career paths for all levels as we grow the company!

Cons

I can't think of any. Keep doing what you are doing Ruppert!

Advice to Management

Continue to care about your employees, customers and community!

8. "Growth Potential"

I have been working at Ruppert Landscape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing exponentially, so there is ample opportunity for advancement. People often view landscaping as just field labor, but there are many different career paths you can take, both in the office and in the field, with experienced landscape professionals as mentors to guide you along the way. The company also has a dedicated employee development team which offers skill and management training to employees at all levels. The resources and opportunities for growth are there for those who are willing to work hard and apply themselves!

Cons

Accelerated growth can be a challenge in and of itself, but the company is committed to its employees and doing what is right for them vs. what's right for the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Work on keeping the culture and programs that we have in place scalable as we continue to grow.

"The company has opportunities"

I have been working at Ruppert Landscape full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. It appreciates and celebrates employees through various events such as gatherings to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries, happy hours, recognition at the annual banquet, etc.

2. It gives back to the community: the company supports causes in the communities where it operates and employees helped with providing that support.

3. It is open about the finances: employees know how branches are doing and where the struggle is happening.

4. It tries to be financially responsible: the company seeks to get the most valuable at the most affordable cost to be financially responsible.

5. It provides annual bonuses as a form of appreciation

6. Owns and maintains beautiful facilities: it helps with employee morale and productivity.

Cons

Please see the "advice to management" section

Advice to Management

1. The company should start with growing its leaders for it will be as successful as its weakest leader. Leaders should first know how to lead themselves; they need to focus on growing as individuals and as leaders so that they can be good teammates and add value to others.

2. They should focus on building a solid team. To maintain a family culture with a strong work ethic, the company needs to hire the right people (those with at least the same values as the company), and then provide them with the training necessary to set them up for success.

3. Learn to make decisions quickly. Once the information has been reviewed, evaluate it against the company’s goals and values and make a decision. Don’t try to get everyone’s feedback on the topic because that will take up precious time and rob the momentum for implementation, it also can foster bureaucracy.

4. Provide training to employees at all levels in the company. Training should be according to employee's tasks goals. For example, field and corporate employees can benefit from training in communication, management, and conflict resolution to name a few.
    5. Make sure the company is really “watching the pennies”. As mentioned in previous reviews, free beer and lots of it is not necessarily good. It is not needed to socialize or to create camaraderie, it actually can facilitate bad behavior from inebriated people.

6. Lastly, focus on all aspects of compensation. Yes, increase the field personnel's hourly rate to match or surpass competition’s rates. But also focus on other areas of compensation such as flexible work schedule (where applicable) and two weeks of paid vacation starting at the fifth work anniversary instead of the seventh.

"Family-owned, People-centered"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olney, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olney, MD

I have been working at Ruppert Landscape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees at Ruppert work hard to get the job done. I observe teamwork and camaraderie among employees within the organization. Management strives to support each branch while maintaining a system where branches have the autonomy to make their own decisions.

Cons

I believe some employees could benefit from "active listening" instead of just "hearing". This could improve communication throughout all levels of the organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep an open mind when it comes to new ideas. The company is expanding quickly and will need to adapt it's processes to accommodate the growth.