Rush Enterprises Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rush Enterprises Chairman of the Board, President and CEO Rusty Rush
Rusty Rush

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good pay relative to market value" (in 11 reviews)

• "good - no pressure, good benefits" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management does not value IT and does not fully fund it for what needs to be accomplished" (in 6 reviews)

• "Old fashioned, micromanagement, CEO, horrible work/life balance" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Management"

Pros

Fast paced growth for career minded employees. Great stock ownership plan available to employees.

Cons

It's fast paced, but that's what keeps it interesting. If you get really succesful doing whatever you are hired to do in any position, it gets noticed.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing, it's working.

Apr 16, 2018 – Human Resources

We are thrilled to hear of your experience with us! We pride ourselves on creating an atmosphere where all employees feel they have the opportunity for growth. Thank you for all your hard work at... More

2. "Left out"

Former Employee - New Truck Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - New Truck Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rush Enterprises (Less than a year)

Pros

Publicly traded company with stock options, other benefits,

Cons

Lack of training, felt out of the loop. No mentoring

3. "Diesel Tech"

I worked at Rush Enterprises full-time

Pros

Pay was great, benefits were great, great co-workers

Cons

Management would promote the guy who did less . Hours would fluctuate too much.

4. "Environment to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at Rush Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Team Members
    Sound infrastructure which enables teams member to focus on doing their job well.
    Agile
    Progressive
    Great people
    Good Benefits

Cons

No Cons. this a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job

"Diesel Tech"

Former Employee - Diesel Technician in Parma, OH
    Former Employee - Diesel Technician in Parma, OH

I worked at Rush Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's good people and pay is good. The shop in my case was very clean and was decently sizable.

Cons

Very stressful, flat-rate mechanic and management is up and down. They make you feel infesizablen metimes. The training is good but takes awhile to put it to use. They hardly give you any jobs at first and especially wheit gets slow. Shop tools go missing constantly.

Aug 27, 2018 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your experience with us. We are sorry to hear you felt less than important while working with us. We truly do value our employees and know they are... More

6. "Seems like another place where hard work does is not expected or rewarded."

I have been working at Rush Enterprises full-time

Pros

Benefits are decent, still looking for more positives.

Cons

Low morale. Lack of urgency, procedures, and planning. Department not ran in a productive or efficient manner. Warehouse is jampacked and unorganized, parts are missing daily.

Advice to Management

Manage more.

"Review Title*"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rush Enterprises full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The continued training is good

Cons

The pay doesn't match the stress. Too much micromanagement. Huge good old boys club.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the good old boys.

"Great IT team but Upper Management does not value IT"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at Rush Enterprises (More than a year)

Pros

The team and our manager was great.
    Never a dull moment

Cons

Upper management does not value IT and does not fully fund it for what needs to be accomplished. They would rather farm a project out; to a 3rd party group that does not know what they are doing, does not deliver on time, and the work is wrong AND spend a huge about of money on it verses letting those engineers who know the application upgrade the application and back fill them with contractors.

Advice to Management

Learn the skills your software engineers have and let them do their job as opposed to having them handle level 1 help desk tickets!

Aug 27, 2018 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your experience with us. Often times, when taking on a project of short duration, we often do outsource that project to a 3rd party so as not to... More

9. "Don’t get old"

Former Employee - Warranty Administrator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Warranty Administrator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Rush Enterprises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, lasting company, decent benefits

Cons

Upper management just wants the numbers. You mean nothing to them. Experience means nothing. They force seniors out by forcing them into crappy positions and calling it a promotion. Disloyal, uncaring. Not trust worthy.

Advice to Management

Get a clue

"Truck Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Used Truck Sales Representative in Parma, OH
    Former Employee - Used Truck Sales Representative in Parma, OH

I worked at Rush Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talking with customers and not stuck at a desk all day. Other than that there’s no Pros.

Cons

Employees are not given the training or resources to have the best opportunity to succeed.
    - direct boss was at the Columbus Ohio location and never helped with training.
    -Direct boss never picked up the phone when I called with questions. On atleast 3 occasions I lost sales because he wouldn’t call me back or return emails.
    - Direct boss told me to ask other employees questions before I called him (I was the only used truck salesman at my location and the other employees either couldn’t help me or were too busy)
    - For my 6 month review I scolded and given negative remarks because I “asked other employees questions”.
    - Direct boss never showed me how to use CRM nor did he explain that I had a certain quota to meet as far as entries and quotes. He gave me negative remarks on my 6 month review about not meeting the CRM entries.

The inventory was terrible and hard to sell.
    -The trucks at the Parma Ohio location were not advertised on Truckpaper.com nor on any website.
    -At most the used inventory was around 5 to 7 vehicles, which all had the Maxxforce engine. Box trucks were odd lengths like 30ft or 32ft with spring suspension or a refrigeration truck that had the refrigerated unit taken off but everything else remained.
    - I thought outside the box and sold a customer a box truck and had the box taken off and a dump body installed, after the truck was finished and sale was final my boss told me to never do that again (Rush made over $10,000 profit on sale).

When I was actually told what Rush expected I hit every quota and goal set for me but I was fired because my direct boss didn’t like me on a personal level. On the day I was fired I sold 2 trucks and had deposit money for 3 other trucks and it was the first week of the month. My boss always turned down offers lower than asking price but almost always excepted other salesmen’s offers below asking. Every truck I sold was either at the listed asking price or OVER the listed asking price. I was fired for a petty personal reason that I still haven’t figured out.
    So it doesn’t matter how many vehicles you sell or how good you are as a sales representative, if the boss doesn’t like you for some small petty reason you will be fired.

Advice to Management

My advice is to fire Bill Thomas because he is hurting the company financially. He doesn’t give employees the proper training or resources to be successful. On a regular basis he turned down offers from customers that should have been accepted, like $250 below listed asking price of $34,900. He let's personal reasons be the driving factor in his decisions if Rush makes sales/profit.

Aug 28, 2018 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your experience here at Rush Enterprises, Inc. I am sorry your experience was a negative one. We strive to develop our leaders and all of our employees so... More