Rush University Medical Center "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Rush University Medical Center Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Sep 17, 2018

3.9
Rush University Medical Center CEO Larry J Goodman
Larry J Goodman
Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Okay"

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Team work, pacing, diversity, pay

Cons

Upper management egos out of control

Rush University Medical Center2018-09-17
  2. "room for advancement"

Current Employee - Pct in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

pay and wonderful and generous co workers smart nurses who run the hospital

Cons

management incompetent including a few RN's that are in upper management who are out of tune with staff

Advice to Management

Need to be more in tune with their departments from upper to lower managment

Rush University Medical Center2017-08-28
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Food Service"

in Park Forest, IL

I worked at Rush University Medical Center for less than a year

Pros

Easy job. Good people to work with.

Cons

Very unorganized upper management and pure chaos within the department.

Advice to Management

Do better.

Rush University Medical Center2015-12-19

"RN"

Senior Staff Nurse in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center for more than 10 years

Pros

Good safety culture but front line staff must do more work for minimal financial compensation year to year. Needs to step up the pay rates to keep in line with the increasing cost of living in this very expensive city.

Cons

Lack of accountability from middle management which still continues to have culture of blame on front line staff. Too many layers of middle management and many upper management which may stiffle innovation from long lead times.

Advice to Management

Minmize the middle layers of management, save money and improve care.

Rush University Medical Center2015-10-27
  6. "Assistant Professor"

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to blaze an innovative path

Cons

Upper management is overly concerned with profit...no vision

Advice to Management

If you build it, they will come.

Rush University Medical Center2015-08-07

"No hopes of a future"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rush University Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was my first job out of college. It was good enough and provided health benefits. It fostered a learning environment. Also a learning environment to get my butt out of the door.

Cons

There was so much red tape. Things were not efficiently and effectively done. PhD candidates were only paid quarterly and even the upper management would be 4 weeks late on their stipends. People were sad to be around. They didn't change their career goals but accepted poor pay for the amount of work performed. I felt that the environment was toxic. The professors had so much to worry about (employee fringe... benefits, budget cut backs, etc). It was a very stressful situation. Vacation time was extremely poor because you still needed to take vacation time for federal holidays because the hospital does not divide the research division from the hospital division. Employees were overworks. It was not conducive to producing research under a name that couldn't even take care of us.

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff and they'll be happier. Office culture is extremely poor. While more money was being thrown into the hospital, more money was being taken away from research.

Rush University Medical Center2014-10-08
  8. "Finance Team"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits and good work/life balance

Cons

slow turn over on upper management so so hard to get promoted.

Rush University Medical Center2014-07-30

"Healthcare professional"

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center full-time

Pros

For healthcare professionals, there is opportunity for professional development and continuing education. The organization is focusing more and more on quality improvement and process improvement, and staff members are encouraged to be involved with these initiatives. Organizational structure, departmental structure, and shared-governance is incredibly strong in the clinical units. Nurses are proud to work there and... deliver great care.

Cons

Upper management/leadership focuses a lot on the negatives and areas that the organization isn't performing well in. There is minimal recognition for a job well done or for efforts made to improve practice. It can feel punitive, futile and exhausting. Work is done in silos; interdisciplinary teamwork is very weak for an academic medical center. Very serious work environment/culture, without positivity or happiness.... Annual raises are the lowest I've ever seen. Many staff members and managers have worked here forever (30+ years) and are resistant to change and new ideas.

Advice to Management

Recruit new staff and leaders who are positive, knowledgeable, and visionary. Hold people accountable, and let them go if they underperform. Reward and recognize staff more often and with bigger incentives. Continue to encourage direct care staff in all decisions.

Rush University Medical Center2014-04-24
  10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

environment of being in a hospital makes you feel good about going to work everyday.

Cons

Upper management seems a little clueless

Advice to Management

pay more attention in meetings, listen to you direct staff

Rush University Medical Center2014-03-31

"I hope you're friends with the management..."

Former Employee - SPD Stock Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rush University Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Halfway decent starting pay, health benefits are good.

Cons

Annual raises below 2% of pay (while members of the management take home $5k bonuses), PTO system for non-union employees is mismanaged by inept supervisors, ZERO advancement opportunities unless you are friends with upper management or are a nurse, treated like garbage by management, nurses, and doctors if you aren't a nurse, doctor, or a member of management, constant double standards relating to rule enforcement...... There are so many more.

Advice to Management

The management in the department I worked in, SPD, was a joke. Their idea of managing was sitting at a desk and watching movies on their computers while those they were supposed to supervise dealt with all the problems. I worked in their offsite warehouse, which I've heard is no longer being used, and it was a logistics nightmare. There was very little inventory control (if any), the building was a dusty mess... (housing medical supplies!), and items were stored with absolutely no rhyme or reason as to their placement. The director of our department had worked their since she graduated from high school and does not have any kind of degree, yet she looked down on the people below her like she was some highly educated czarina or something. Overall, my advice to management would be to treat people like they are people and not a hit on their personal budget. Personally, I worked there for 3 years. I worked overtime voluntarily every week. I was one of the fastest workers on my shift and my work was always correct. I was eventually fired due to a an argument over a scheduling mistake my supervisor admitted he made. That was right after everyone in the department received a 14 cent raise. I received the same raise as a guy who was late all the time and just sat on the computer all night doing nothing. I received the equivalent of a $290 increase in my yearly salary while my supervisor was given a $2k bonus on top of his raise. The director got $5k. That's how Rush works folks. It's a toxic environment where the management refuses to recognize or reward good, hard work. My manager refused to even say "hello" to me for most of the time I was there. Run away from this place. Run fast.

Rush University Medical Center2013-06-08