Rush University Reviews | Glassdoor

Larry J. Goodman

1. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Lab Research Volunteer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lab Research Volunteer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rush University (Less than a year)

Pros

Mentors helpful and fully supportive for your growth.
    Best for improving the technical skill.
    Very cooporative.

Cons

Low job opportunity. Other than that I never faced any difficulty. As a former student and volunteer I had a really good experience at Rush University.

2. "Admissions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University full-time

Pros

The benefits are pretty good. The 403B, retirement account and tuition assistance are perks. The flexibility of the schedule is also a plus.

Cons

Poor management, lack of communication, inconsistent policies and unfair practices

Advice to Management

Don't sign up for a leadership role if you're unable to change dynamics when needed between friends and employees. Listen to your employees and be upfront. Don't feed them what you think they want to hear. You lose good employees this way.

3. "Not good at all (in Microbiology/Immunology Lab)"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rush University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I enjoyed doing the work because it was my passion.
    -Met some great people to work with
    -Good benefits

Cons

-Unfair/strict management; was let go due to not being "up to his standards."
    - Felt like I was on thin-ice everyday
    -Lab was already having issues gathering data before I arrived
    - Long lab hours due to projects lasting 2-3 days

5. "Mental Health Worker"

Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One Pro that RUMC has is the fact that the employee actually has a job. I've tried numerous times to advance but it seems to be nearly impossible to cross over if you're in a lower level position...even when you have an MBA

Cons

If you are not an RN, you are constantly being called off. How is one supposed to be off on a vacation if you are constantly called off forcing one to use their PTO?

They hire more people than needed so they are well staffed and the employee actually suffers because of being called off.

The don't seem to care about the safety of their employees as they constantly admit patients that can harm you while the managers act as if they struggle to find solutions but never come from their offices to assist.

It seems to be a heavily weighted diversity issue at this company as I've experienced and have been told by former students.

Advice to Management

Promote and advance from within. Everyone performing a lower level or lower paying job was not always in that capacity. There is plenty of experience around if Management would create programs.

6. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small collaborative atmosphere. Good integration between the clinical and research sides, great availability to other local institutions, hospitals, and centers.

Cons

Somewhat bogged down by bureaucratic measures. Good flexibility but you need to be prepared for things to take a long time to actually get done and to land on various people's desks.

Advice to Management

Streamline applications. There should be less oversight and more accountability on a particular individual rather than having layers of oversight to make sure things get done.

7. "Work here only if you have to"

Current Employee - Research Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There really weren't any. The building is nice and new. This is really all I can say that is positive.

Cons

If you work under a decent PI that cares about your interest, then it's a semi okay gig. Make sure to choose wisely because the University does not take care of you or the professor.

I was salaried and had to come in on weekends because my lab team was so understaffed. Vacation and sick day benefits suck. Pay is way below average. You have declare federal holidays such as Christmas and Memorial Day as vacation days, which especially sucks because you were not given many to begin with. Holiday parties are so thankless. Our research floor's holiday party was a potluck in the lobby.

I only worked here for a specific professor, write papers, and go on to Medical School. Use this place only as a jump off point, not a long time stay.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. You will produce better research. Have happier employees. Get funding. However, everything seems so short sided and the quality of people you con in to employing are so subpar.

You need to offer better vacation days. Your pay rate is well below other schools.

"Rush has an excellant work environment, but policy and raises are inadequate."

Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Rush University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its a safe and stable employment. You have no fear of losing your position unless something illegal is done.

Cons

Pay rate is at the lowest of many competitor around.

Advice to Management

Managment needs to be more encouraging. They need to help grow an employee rather than break them down.

9. "Patient Food Service Assistant"

Former Employee - Patient Food Service Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Patient Food Service Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rush University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and raises.
    Wonderful environment.
    Easy labor

Cons

Very Strict rules.
    Lots of walking

"Definitely Just A Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, Managers who care, Job security

Cons

Workload, Amount of travel, Work locations, Lack of opportunity for upward advancement, Salary, Benefits

Advice to Management

It is comforting to know that making a mistake does not lead to immediate termination. However, it is discomforting to deal with difficult employees who feel they don't have to change bad behavior because they have no fear of disciplinary action. Additionally, for the CEO to promote Rush as a research-centered institution, it sure doesn't seem like the research teams are cared for very much.

"University is a complete mess and disaster"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really dedicated faculty and staff (and students, lets not forget the students). There are some people who really want to help transforming it into a fantastic place.

Cons

There are some people who have unrealistic expectations and who are frankly, horrible people. There is a lot of dead weight and there is a community of 'well, we've always done it this way' whic leads to major roadblocks.

Advice to Management

Lead. Don't let the faculty manage up. Slap their hands and tell them to behave and pay attention, for once.