Russ Reid Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

4.0
Russ Reid President and CEO Alan Hall
Alan Hall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company, great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

• Good culture and work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can seem a bit lost (in 6 reviews)

• very low pay (much, much lower than average in LA area) (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good people, good mission, bad senior leadership"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are amazing and truly feel like family. There's a good mix of fun & work. Easy to grow and be promoted. Many learning opportunities.

Cons

Team structures, client loads and processes are ever changing. As soon as one thing starts to make sense - it changes again. There were two major departmental restructures while I was there.

Advice to Management

Every time there's a huge change, it affects morale severely. Find a way to assure your employees and provide them with new opportunities in the new reality.

2. "Media Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Pasadena, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment. Positive vibes in terms of the how people perceived the value of their work/product. People brought in free food every once in a while. My supervisor was especially great in that she took me under her wings and actually taught me the work she does. She explained it enthusiastically and didn't treat it like a chore. The work was flexible, you could walk around the office and ask if anyone needed any help or ask to sit in on meetings to get to know the business better. In the summer, Fridays are half days!

Cons

No parking pass in downtown Pasadena meant looking for street parking every morning, which sucks. Also the workload levels were highly variable. Sometimes I had nothing to do all day despite checking in with my supervisor and others in the department throughout the day, so I'd read company files and listen to podcasts all day. Other days I was slammed with multiple projects and stayed a little later than 5:30, but it was pretty rare.

3. "Great agency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Russ Reid was a great place to grow and learn - so many opportunities for those who want to work hard, pay dues, learn in the trenches. Reward is there for those who contribute to success.

Cons

Honestly, there were none I could recall. Management takes a lot of heat here on Glassdoor, but that's from folks who take things out of context and have zero management experience.

Advice to Management

Do more to cultivate mid-level talent so those just starting out can see the value of investing with the agency for the long term.

4. "All together a good place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, people, people. Honestly, its the people that make this place a good place to work.

Cons

Compensation can be tough here. You can be told that you deserve $X amount, but that because of our parent company and restrictions, you are only getting $X.

5. "Great environment, benefits and opportunities"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone you work with is more than willing to help you learn and achieve your career goals. From the moment I started at Russ Reid to over 2 years later, if there is something I do not understand or need more help with, I can count on any fellow employee to help me understand and master the process.

The benefits are great and the opportunities to advance are there as long as you do the work.

Cons

Hours can be long, but the idea of work life balance is pushed by managers.

6. "Opportunity for the taking"

Former Employee - Client Service in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Client Service in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Russ Reid puts a lot of effort into creating a good company culture and providing a lot of opportunity to learn, especially for entry level employees.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience there, and you can really learn from anyone if you aren't afraid to get at it.

They are realistic about their weaknesses, though sometimes they are slow to act to fix them.

Fun and energetic working environment.

Great clients who do great work. Very rewarding.

If you want to learn multi-channel fundraising, there probably isn't a better place.

Senior management is trustworthy.

Owned by Omnicom.

Cons

Certain departments require close supervision and/or hand-holding. To their credit, they are handling a massive amount of clients.

Very process heavy. Sometimes very inefficient.

You could end up reporting to a 23 year-old.

Size. Getting to be too big. Spend enormous amount of resources on new business to hit growth goals, even at the expense of current clients.

Owned by Omnicom.

Advice to Management

Communicate directly with employees as much as possible. Boundaries will decay the culture.

7. "A great company doing important work for people in need."

Current Employee - Account Management in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Account Management in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time

Pros

I've worked at Russ Reid for three years, and have never worked with a smarter - and frankly - nicer, group of people. It's very refreshing to be able to continue my career in direct response marketing, while working with nonprofit organizations that are helping people and changing the world for the better.

Cons

Yes, we're under a great deal of pressure (and sometimes have to stay late) with tight deadlines and sometimes small budgets, but I believe this adds excitement to my job.

8. "I was satisfied with the environment and their willingness to accept new, fresh ideas."

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The caring working environment is geared to employee satisfaction. One has a chance to impact the world with challenging and meaningful work and clients.

Cons

Analysis and depth of understanding of analysis is a weakness. The top leadership is primarily strong but a few of this group are industry challenged.

Advice to Management

This is not my place.

9. "great cultural, good people."

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are genuine and care for their clients.

Cons

Compensation is lower than industry average especially if you grow up in the company.

10. "Best in class niche agency"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Russ Reid is filled with extremely talented and knowledgable employees in the direct response marketing space. They use proven tactics to grow hundreds of organizations beyond what they could do on their own. There is much room for growth and multiple programs built to aid employees in their professional growth.

Cons

Because of Russ Reid's scope of work, many join and are disappointed that the majority of time is focused on traditional DR marketing methods. Though I agree that the vehicles used yield the best results for clients, more effort into innovation, finding new business opportunities and experimentation could be beneficial long-term.