Russ Reid Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

2.8
Russ Reid President and CEO Alan Hall
Alan Hall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company, great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

• Good culture and work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can seem a bit lost (in 6 reviews)

• very low pay (much, much lower than average in LA area) (in 5 reviews)

"I interned at Russ Reid for 7 months."

Former Intern - Client Services Intern in Pasadena, CA
    Former Intern - Client Services Intern in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible people, great clients, fast-paced work environment.

Cons

Can be long hours during busy seasons.

"Genuinely good people doing meaningful work together - grateful for my time here."

Current Employee - Human Resources/Client Service in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources/Client Service in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-RR's big enough that there are lots of people to get to know and initiatives to get involved in, yet small enough that you can build deep relationships and take more ownership on projects than you could at a bigger, more bureaucratic organization.
    -I LOVE the people I've met at RR- smart, caring people who generally joined RR because they want to make the world a better place. One of the big reasons I moved into HR was because I thought our employees were so awesome, I wanted to work more closely with them. :)
    -Loved all 3 bosses I had at the agency - they were phenomenal people who were really dedicated to helping me grow.
    -I see RR as a hub for talented, compassionate people, which makes it a great place to build a professional network if that's who you want to connect with!
    -I genuinely believe the people with the most power at the agency - the game changers/innovators/decision makers have really good intentions for the company, and are willing to work hard to make it a better and better place.
    -Even with a couple 'intimidating' senior leaders, I can point to specific moments when they went out of their way to be gracious and help me grow both professionally and personally. This really left a huge impression on me.
    -Before I was in HR, like any normal employee I had some concerns and skepticism about how the agency functions...for example, I used to question our compensation practices with my boss pretty regularly. :) But truthfully, once I was in HR and was much closer to the decision makers/policy discussions, I had more and more confidence in how the agency's run and more faith that our leadership was willing and able to make positive changes to help the agency grow. Just with compensation alone, I saw a lot of progress made- I was so used to thinking "you can make more money outside Russ Reid" but I actually think we've come a long way and have become much more competitive, thorough and fair in how employees are compensated.
    -I see two of the biggest influencers of culture as our CEO and head of HR, and I've experienced them as being deeply committed to the agency and the well-being of employees. They're both phenomenal people who genuinely care about making RR a better place. I think this bodes well for the agency's future.

Cons

-The agency is in the midst of a lot of transition, which is understandably difficult at times in the day to day experience of an employee. Change is hard! And we're going through a lot of change right now.
    -The agency's had a solid track record of success but is now at a point where it's looking to reinvent some aspects of our business model and culture. I think positive changes are in process and ahead, but I think we've got a little ways to go to really be the place we want to be.
    -Because we've done well in the past, we haven't always had to be as creative and innovative as I think we're forced to be now. Sometimes in the name of speed and efficiency we could get comfortable with the way we've done things in the past, and at times I found myself wishing we'd get a little more outside our box.

Advice to Management

Prioritize our employees, our culture and our innovative spark just as much as you prioritize efficiency and accuracy. Keep on doing the little extra things that make RR a special place to work. :)

3. "Supervisor, Compliance"

Former Employee - Compliance Supervisor in West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Compliance Supervisor in West Covina, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a rewarding experience working for a company that helps those in need. Having the opportunity to be part of this culture was amazing!

Cons

One of the benefits includes volunteering for clients. I would have loved to do more of that!

Advice to Management

Keep striving to help others in need. Making a difference in someone's life is priceless.

4. "Best in class niche agency"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Russ Reid is filled with extremely talented and knowledgable employees in the direct response marketing space. They use proven tactics to grow hundreds of organizations beyond what they could do on their own. There is much room for growth and multiple programs built to aid employees in their professional growth.

Cons

Because of Russ Reid's scope of work, many join and are disappointed that the majority of time is focused on traditional DR marketing methods. Though I agree that the vehicles used yield the best results for clients, more effort into innovation, finding new business opportunities and experimentation could be beneficial long-term.

5. "great cultural, good people."

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are genuine and care for their clients.

Cons

Compensation is lower than industry average especially if you grow up in the company.

6. "I was satisfied with the environment and their willingness to accept new, fresh ideas."

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The caring working environment is geared to employee satisfaction. One has a chance to impact the world with challenging and meaningful work and clients.

Cons

Analysis and depth of understanding of analysis is a weakness. The top leadership is primarily strong but a few of this group are industry challenged.

Advice to Management

This is not my place.

7. "A great company doing important work for people in need."

Current Employee - Account Management in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Account Management in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time

Pros

I've worked at Russ Reid for three years, and have never worked with a smarter - and frankly - nicer, group of people. It's very refreshing to be able to continue my career in direct response marketing, while working with nonprofit organizations that are helping people and changing the world for the better.

Cons

Yes, we're under a great deal of pressure (and sometimes have to stay late) with tight deadlines and sometimes small budgets, but I believe this adds excitement to my job.

8. "Opportunity for the taking"

Former Employee - Client Service in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Client Service in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Russ Reid puts a lot of effort into creating a good company culture and providing a lot of opportunity to learn, especially for entry level employees.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience there, and you can really learn from anyone if you aren't afraid to get at it.

They are realistic about their weaknesses, though sometimes they are slow to act to fix them.

Fun and energetic working environment.

Great clients who do great work. Very rewarding.

If you want to learn multi-channel fundraising, there probably isn't a better place.

Senior management is trustworthy.

Owned by Omnicom.

Cons

Certain departments require close supervision and/or hand-holding. To their credit, they are handling a massive amount of clients.

Very process heavy. Sometimes very inefficient.

You could end up reporting to a 23 year-old.

Size. Getting to be too big. Spend enormous amount of resources on new business to hit growth goals, even at the expense of current clients.

Owned by Omnicom.

Advice to Management

Communicate directly with employees as much as possible. Boundaries will decay the culture.

9. "Great environment, benefits and opportunities"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone you work with is more than willing to help you learn and achieve your career goals. From the moment I started at Russ Reid to over 2 years later, if there is something I do not understand or need more help with, I can count on any fellow employee to help me understand and master the process.

The benefits are great and the opportunities to advance are there as long as you do the work.

Cons

Hours can be long, but the idea of work life balance is pushed by managers.

10. "All together a good place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, people, people. Honestly, its the people that make this place a good place to work.

Cons

Compensation can be tough here. You can be told that you deserve $X amount, but that because of our parent company and restrictions, you are only getting $X.