Russ Reid Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

2.7
Russ Reid President and CEO Alan Hall
Alan Hall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company, great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

• Good culture and work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero stability, low pay, chaotic working environments, unrealistic expectations for those who do stick around or aren't laid off (in 6 reviews)

• Some highly qualified people were passed by for promotions due to office politics (in 4 reviews)

"Industry experts trying to adapt to changing landscape"

Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The agency exists for a great reason - to help nonprofit organizations raise money so that they can do good things in the world. It makes coming into work something I usually look forward to because I know that I am helping to make a difference in people's lives. For the most part, I truly enjoy working at Russ Reid and many of my co-workers have become good friends, and some have even become like family to me.

Our CEO is a leader who inspires me on a daily basis. I believe that he has a vision for our future, one that looks very different from how things are today and I am excited to follow him into the next chapter of our journey. However, I think there are many people here who are not excited by change - who actually are resistant to it - and so I can see how the current transition can be a scary, uncomfortable one for many people.

I have been at Russ Reid for several years now and have worked at other agencies around town and one thing I can say is a true benefit is the flexibility that management allows. For example, several people on my team have had to make adjustment to their work situation (working remotely, working part time, taking a leave of absence) due to life events (having a baby, illness in family, moving, etc) and I have always found management to be open to accommodating the needs of our team. HR (a dept that often doesn't have individual employee's best interests in mind) has always been supportive and helpful when I've had to approach them about these kinds of things.

I also really appreciate summer hours and having the flexibility of being able to work from home on Fridays during the summer months. I'm a mother with young children and so being able to spend extra time with my kids is a real special perk for me.

Cons

I've read a lot of the negative reviews here on Glassdoor and while I think that some of the criticism is warranted, I think that much of it it not.

Having worked at other agencies and in different corporate organizations, I can honestly say that some of the challenges we experience here at Russ Reid (and that people seem to complain about) are par for the course.

I find that a lot of people here, especially younger employees who don't have a lot of work experience, complain about pretty much everything. I understand that there are things that are frustrating - believe me, I share in many of the frustrations...things like antiquated technology, an uninspiring office space, not being able to get everyone on my team laptops so they can do their jobs easier, having to pay for most of our team outings out of my own pocket, etc.

BUT, I made the decision to come here to Russ Reid to do meaningful work. And I willingly made the trade offs to do so.

I do think that the agency needs to bring in more senior talent with more relevant experience. Direct mail is not going be sustainable forever and I fear that we will be left behind. I also find it challenging that most of our senior leadership has been here FOREVER and appears to be very resistant to trying new things or changing in any way.

There are days when I think that the good we are helping our client do isn't enough to outweigh the crap I have to constantly deal with. But those days are few and while every day does have its share of challenges, I find ways to make it manageable because I love the work that we do here.

Advice to Management

Please bring in more senior leaders who have a true vision for the agency and who can support our CEO. Please bring in talented creative leaders who can help us do better creative work.

My main advice to our CEO is this - you need to surround yourself with people who share your vision and who believe in it the way you do. Many of the leaders at our agency are doing the exact opposite - they are bringing you (and the agency) down.

Also, please do not think that ideas and contributions can only come from a select few. Empower more people at the agency to have a bigger voice.

"The end of RR is near"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many amazing, pleasant and interesting people from all walks of life that you will meet. Some departments are close knit, fun and promote a positive culture despite the chaotic culture that envelops the entire agency.

Cons

Bumbling senior management always forces a new, futile initiative that is absolutely a detriment to the culture and morale of its talent. The initiatives this year: seek the help of a process improvement group who never fully understood what RR is all about, merge with a failing, micro managing culture of a sister agency and with the recommendation of the process improvement group, adopt all of the failing company’s business practices by cutting corners and running processes on the cheap and calling it a technological advancement. There is a reason why merging agency has been failing for years!!!!

Weak Account Management teams all around. They mostly know nothing and leave it up to the Production teams to fix their messes.

Clicky production teams that can be difficult to work with because they look down on Account Management. They think they know it all.

Advice to Management

Stop with all the initiatives already, it’s very frustrating and annoying.

Progress into the future can be achieved without the idiotic initiatives and the merger with a company who hasn’t turned a profit in years.

Production has never been the problem so stop trying to “fix” what’s not broken.

Bite the bullet and actually pay to hire experienced Account Managers instead of hiring straight out of college entitled kids who know absolutely nothing about fundraising in an agency atmosphere.

"Could've been a great career"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people you work with are extremely talented, and many are kind and fun people to get to know. Clients on the books are satisfying to work with, too.

Cons

Zero stability, low pay, chaotic working environments, unrealistic expectations for those who do stick around or aren't laid off. Expected to pick up slack and do multiple people's jobs for no additional pay. You will be made to do the work of the position above you without the title or pay, and your boss will take credit for your work and ideas. Good times.

Advice to Management

Adjust pay so it's fair. Don't overwork the talented people while others just fly below the radar and collect a paycheck.

"Good people, good mission, bad senior leadership"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are amazing and truly feel like family. There's a good mix of fun & work. Easy to grow and be promoted. Many learning opportunities.

Cons

Team structures, client loads and processes are ever changing. As soon as one thing starts to make sense - it changes again. There were two major departmental restructures while I was there.

Advice to Management

Every time there's a huge change, it affects morale severely. Find a way to assure your employees and provide them with new opportunities in the new reality.

"Account Executive"

I worked at Russ Reid full-time

Pros

They have a good mission and some of the people are fantastic.

Cons

This is literally the worst place I have ever worked. Don't do what I did and try to give them the benefit of the doubt, read the rest of the reviews and take them into full consideration before accepting an offer. Management treats employees awful, yelling, talking down, trying to make you feel small. There are very few opportunities for growth, they under pay, there is a TON of work, with zero perks (except wine, if you like wine on the job and thats the minimum you require, this is a great place to be).

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees that leave. Stop promoting people that are cheap and milking them for all they are worth.

"A great place to work for most"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really cares deeply about the success of the client
    Great sense of camaraderie at most levels
    Work with genuinely kind and caring people
    Truly wonderful feeling knowing that your hard work benefits the great work that clients do

Cons

Senior decision making is opaque
    Can feel like just waiting for the next shoe to drop
    office politics at the higher levels can be paralyzing

"Chaotic Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is helping nonprofits, which is a great thing.

Cons

The management style was chaotic at best. The IT department was draconian. Rude.

8. "Supervisor, Compliance"

Former Employee - Compliance Supervisor in West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Compliance Supervisor in West Covina, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a rewarding experience working for a company that helps those in need. Having the opportunity to be part of this culture was amazing!

Cons

One of the benefits includes volunteering for clients. I would have loved to do more of that!

Advice to Management

Keep striving to help others in need. Making a difference in someone's life is priceless.

"Account Director"

Former Employee - Account Director in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Account Director in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong reputation. Leader in many areas of nonprofit marketing and historically an innovative company. Competitive benefits package and many collegial competent colleagues.

Cons

Weak leadership. This agency never overcame the retirement of the founder who was a brilliant and kind man. Current leadership not in the same league.

Advice to Management

Hire a strong competent leader with the intellect and kindness of the founder.

"The Writing's on the Wall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The few decent people left at the agency.

Cons

There is no future in the fundraising world for a full-service agency, especially one located in LA where overhead is so high.

The coming years will be marked by a constant decline in revenue and reduction of staff until it eventually dies. Success will be measured by the amount of ground lost rather than the ground gained. At this point it's a matter of limiting the hemorrhaging.

Working there is increasingly stressful as teams get smaller and smaller. And job security is non-existent

The future is bleak for RR and its peers. Giving behaviors are changing. Clients results are down in traditional channels, which results in more and more turnover year-over-year.

Avoid at all costs, as this will be a joyless place to work until it inevitably goes under. Plus it's led by incredibly deceitful people, who embody untrustworthiness.