Russell Reynolds Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Russell Reynolds CEO Clark Murphy
Clark Murphy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Higher ups have made strides to imporbe company culture and work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• I would recommend pursuing a job here to anyone who is interested in the services industry / executive search (in 6 reviews)

Cons

1. "First class organization"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great colleagues, interesting work, great clients. First class office space and perks. Good benefits and good compensation.

Cons

very intense, heavy workload, lots of content to learn and master. Most weeks are 60-80 hours. Fair amount of travel.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep RRA what it is. We like the position not being the biggest, but being the best. Keep consultant quality bar high.

"Intense recruiting firm that doesn't see the value in their EA team; revolving door."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong company with industry standard benefits package.
    Depending on who you work for, you can work from home a day or two a month with out a problem. Good number of holiday's given and half days.

Cons

Very intense, pretty much all the time. Everything is an emergency/fire, which makes getting your work done feel very stressful; every email is urgent, every candidate scheduling, phone call, document, resume, invoice, etc is urgent so it's challenging to figure out what takes priority when everything is priority. Basically, you work on edge every minute of the day.
    Hard to take vacation because you have to find your own coverage... and of course no one really needs more work for an entire week.

Advice to Management

Consultants should be encouraged to be kind to their EA's, all of the assistants are very smart and accomplished but not treated as such. Please remind consultants that the EA's are doing more than phone calls, scheduling, calendaring; 85% of the work the EA's do is project management, documents, travel for clients and candidates, training's, invoicing, etc.

"Can recruit for clients, but can't retain good employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time

Pros

A paycheck and overtime, that's about it

Cons

Working for an unethical consultant who lacks integrity. This company breeds the illusion that they are all about corporate values and integrity, yet act in a completely different manner. I worked for a consultant who consistently lied to her candidates about follow up, and to clients about work performed. It was a disgrace, but somehow or another, even after awful client feedback and multiple complaints, the consultant was able to maintain her position. I guess being a minimal revenue generator means more than the company's reputation.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look in the mirror and truly evaluate your consulting team. Listen to the complaints of team members, clients and candidates alike. Just because a consultant has a lengthy list of searches, doesn't mean they are doing their job well or acting appropriately. If someone has gone through 6+ EAs in 2 years time, it's time to face reality. Don't play the victim to the circumstance you created.

"terrible and abusive team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros. the position was not at all what i expected.

Cons

Instead of taking the time in getting to know my workstyle or the fact that multiple mistakes for previous years were caught using my work method was overlooked.

I was given a terrible review despite my supervisor not training me for the month that i started. i was hired in a higher level position only to be given assistant level work. This was not what i agreed to when i took on my position. I've never received a terrible review at my previous jobs. I've always worked hard and efficiently. It's not my fault someone does not want to implement more streamlined methods and prefer living in their cave.

I had to take my work and present it to my supervisor's supervisor to get an unbiased opinion on what i'm doing wrong. he appreciated my work style and the fact i was streamlining the work. He agreed with me and mentioned i was not doing anything wrong.

After my review, the place became unbearable and i had to leave.

Advice to Management

The upper management, some of them are bullies.

Make sure the new supervisors are capable of supervising. Otherwise these new supervisors will feel obsolete, threatened, and will treat their direct reports as if they are some sort of a tumor.

"Bad"

Pros

There are no pros to write

Cons

Everything is bad at this place

6. "Great company!"

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time

Pros

The consultants truly work hard for the clients and candidates.

Cons

No cons to share...everyone is awesome!

"Happy alum"

Former Employee - Search Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Search Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with smart, driven colleagues
    Working with exceptional client companies and solving their most pressing leadership/recruitment challenges
    Engaging talented, successful candidates in conversations about advancing their careers; positive, uplifting work
    RRA pays top performers well
    Culture is collaborative, results oriented, meritocratic; employees are treated well - pay, benefits, hospitality - all very strong

Cons

Black-box compensation model can create jealousy, confusion and a perception of unfairness
    The firm claims to be client-focused, but sales (not client service) is most heavily rewarded
    Like lots of service environments/partnerships, RRA has an apprenticeship model and an up-or-out culture; guidance/training in sales and other skills needed to advance within the firm can be limited/non-existent depending on the strength of your office/practice or sector area

Advice to Management

Continue to hire good people; reward mentorship; select area managers and sector leaders who are focused on developing talent, not those who personally excel at business development

8. "Research Analyst"

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time

Pros

They take good care of their employees.

Cons

Communication within certain sectors is not as effective as it could be.

9. "great place to work"

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time

Pros

great work environment and helpful colleagues

Cons

there no cons that i can think of at the moment

10. "EA"

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time

Pros

Pretty relaxed work environment. Nice building.

Cons

They don't provide you with the resources to work from home. They don't encourage WFH.

Advice to Management

Work harder to create a better EA culture.