Russell Reynolds Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Russell Reynolds CEO Clark Murphy
Clark Murphy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A great place for young people looking to learn the search business to start (in 7 reviews)

• Higher ups have made strides to imporbe company culture and work life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Dynamic Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities with global mindset.

Cons

Demanding work environment, but stimulating and challenging opportunities.

2. "Good company"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Impressive Managing Directors with a lot of experience

Cons

Some lack of organization around structure, especially for analysts

Advice to Management

Communicate better within sector to know analyst responsibilties

"Partner"

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time

Pros

A great place for young people looking to learn the search business to start. Great new associates training, and a great group of young people early in their career.

Cons

Where to start. Once you are a producer, the place is a total snakepit. Don't let the Ivy League veneer fool you. You are competing with other firms but also each other....and the firm encourages that. It is soulless at the higher levels. A lot of this is driven by tenure and the completely amorphous compensation system. A lot of the folks LOVE to be around wealth and act like being a headhunter is like being a McKinsey or a Goldman Partner. Lots of backstabbers on the Exco. they pretend that the "black box" compensation system is better than a quantitative model. basically, this is an opportunity for the Exco to take more than their fair share from the lower levels. This place is fully prepared for 1969 when the firm was founded. Lots of turn over very little diversity, but a "stage front" of legitimacy. Off limits and shared candidate rules are not good for their clients, but they are great for the Partners of Russell Reynolds, who are happy to take their clients money. Good luck in the digital age RRA...

Advice to Management

Make the compensation system quantitative and concise. Get rid of the deadwood that are big shareholders and do nothing. Ditch the highest-end real estate and oriental carpets. Get professional management, this place should not be lead by old headhunters who have learned a culture of divisiveness and dishonesty.

4. "Great company to work for"

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time

Pros

professional, prestige name, all-star colleagues

Cons

difficulty maintaining consistent quality amid competition

"Intense recruiting firm that doesn't see the value in their EA team; revolving door."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong company with industry standard benefits package.
    Depending on who you work for, you can work from home a day or two a month with out a problem. Good number of holiday's given and half days.

Cons

Very intense, pretty much all the time. Everything is an emergency/fire, which makes getting your work done feel very stressful; every email is urgent, every candidate scheduling, phone call, document, resume, invoice, etc is urgent so it's challenging to figure out what takes priority when everything is priority. Basically, you work on edge every minute of the day.
    Hard to take vacation because you have to find your own coverage... and of course no one really needs more work for an entire week.

Advice to Management

Consultants should be encouraged to be kind to their EA's, all of the assistants are very smart and accomplished but not treated as such. Please remind consultants that the EA's are doing more than phone calls, scheduling, calendaring; 85% of the work the EA's do is project management, documents, travel for clients and candidates, training's, invoicing, etc.

"Can recruit for clients, but can't retain good employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time

Pros

A paycheck and overtime, that's about it

Cons

Working for an unethical consultant who lacks integrity. This company breeds the illusion that they are all about corporate values and integrity, yet act in a completely different manner. I worked for a consultant who consistently lied to her candidates about follow up, and to clients about work performed. It was a disgrace, but somehow or another, even after awful client feedback and multiple complaints, the consultant was able to maintain her position. I guess being a minimal revenue generator means more than the company's reputation.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look in the mirror and truly evaluate your consulting team. Listen to the complaints of team members, clients and candidates alike. Just because a consultant has a lengthy list of searches, doesn't mean they are doing their job well or acting appropriately. If someone has gone through 6+ EAs in 2 years time, it's time to face reality. Don't play the victim to the circumstance you created.

7. "First class organization"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great colleagues, interesting work, great clients. First class office space and perks. Good benefits and good compensation.

Cons

very intense, heavy workload, lots of content to learn and master. Most weeks are 60-80 hours. Fair amount of travel.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep RRA what it is. We like the position not being the biggest, but being the best. Keep consultant quality bar high.

"terrible and abusive team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros. the position was not at all what i expected.

Cons

Instead of taking the time in getting to know my workstyle or the fact that multiple mistakes for previous years were caught using my work method was overlooked.

I was given a terrible review despite my supervisor not training me for the month that i started. i was hired in a higher level position only to be given assistant level work. This was not what i agreed to when i took on my position. I've never received a terrible review at my previous jobs. I've always worked hard and efficiently. It's not my fault someone does not want to implement more streamlined methods and prefer living in their cave.

I had to take my work and present it to my supervisor's supervisor to get an unbiased opinion on what i'm doing wrong. he appreciated my work style and the fact i was streamlining the work. He agreed with me and mentioned i was not doing anything wrong.

After my review, the place became unbearable and i had to leave.

Advice to Management

The upper management, some of them are bullies.

Make sure the new supervisors are capable of supervising. Otherwise these new supervisors will feel obsolete, threatened, and will treat their direct reports as if they are some sort of a tumor.

"Bad"

Pros

There are no pros to write

Cons

Everything is bad at this place

10. "Great company!"

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time

Pros

The consultants truly work hard for the clients and candidates.

Cons

No cons to share...everyone is awesome!