Russell Reynolds Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 11, 2019

3.4
Russell Reynolds CEO Clark Murphy
Clark Murphy
  1. "Steadily Improving but still has a way to go"

Former Employee - Knowledge Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time

Pros

- Get C-Suite level insights on how directors view the world / how they operate - The company is trying to improve the work life balance. They recognize this is an issue and have started to implement policy to make it better (casual fridays, working remote, etc) - Company recognizes they need to provide more clarity into career progression / bonus structure. They are just starting to put more process / standards... in place. - They do the big things right (company parties, gifts, etc) - Good benefits packages - Starting to think proactively and building workstreams around better ways to work

Cons

- Work life balance is still a mess (especially if you are on the researcher, expect to be working 10+ hours a day minimum) - Company still revolves around the consultants as they are the ones bringing in money for the firm. Not a flat organization. -Old school culture where few people try to hang out or catch up after work. More of a come in and do work and go home culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on the work / life balance & changing the company culture. Due to high growth, you've hired more consultants but haven't increased the size of your support staff (Knowledge & Research) so you are burning out your support staff. Also figure out how to make it more of a partnership between Consultants & Research/Knowledge/EAs than a one way request system.

Russell Reynolds2019-10-11
  2. "Great place to learn the exec search ropes"

Current Employee - Research Associate in London, England

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredible training, particularly valuable for those new to search. Fantastic weight of the name - client and candidate networks second-to-none. Friendly firm.

Cons

Poor work/life balance, slow opportunity for progression due to formalised promotion structures.

Russell Reynolds2019-10-08
  3. "Hierarchical"

Former Employee - Research Consultant in London, England

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Potential to get far if you work hard, although it takes a long time and is not a always fair race.

Cons

Consultants who are not that smart or qualified made to feel like they are deserving of immense salaries. All other individuals treated like second class.

Russell Reynolds2019-09-27
  4. "Compensation"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility smart people global quality

Cons

Old fashioned male centric inconsistent

Advice to Management

Act like a professional firm

Russell Reynolds2019-09-24
  5. "Toller Arbeitgeber"

Former Employee - Working Student in Munich, Bavaria

I worked at Russell Reynolds part-time for more than a year

Pros

Super nette Leute, top Office

Cons

Manche Leute nehmen sich selbst zu wichtig

Russell Reynolds2019-09-18

"Darwinist Culture Similar to Law Firms; Poor Support for Admin Staff"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice physical offices. Generous salary and benefits in the 85th percentile range for NY. Unlimited overtime pay on top if you don't mind the hours AND if you work for a busy Consultant with lots of paying clients. HR will look the other way as you slowly dilly-dally through your day and accumulate hours. Without exaggeration, I witnessed one veteran EA (10+ years) put in 20 hours overtime weekly on top of a ~... $100+ K base.

Cons

Very similar culture to a law firm in that unless you work for a "Rainmaker" Consultant with lots of billings and are "protected", you will be treated very poorly. HR will have very little say or have any power to do anything about it. I saw one consultant habitually demean and disrespect an experienced 12-year employee; and no one did anything to intervene or address the inappropriate behavior. The EA finally... had enough and one day walked off the job without notice and no one was surprised. Unless you are one of the "protected" EAs mentioned above, you can expect heavy work loads that you better get done within 8-hour days, while eating lunch at your desk. Any overtime will be scrutinized and you will be deemed incompetent.

Advice to Management

Treat your support staff better in order to retain good talent. I saw at least six EAs who have been with the firm for 5 or more years leave within months of starting and it seemed like a mass exodus. I soon saw the lack in appreciation for support staff and understood why. High turnover is a bad sign when good employees are leaving you. Even though the pay was good, ultimately it was not a deciding factor in... my decision to leave for a better employer who coincidentally offered even higher pay and benefits.

Russell Reynolds2019-09-12
  7. "No upward mobility"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paris

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Inspiring projects with high-profile clients. Global reach. Strong brand makes sourcing candidates more simply.

Cons

Internal competition (inter- & intra-office) does not optimise performance. Difficult to find allies. Lots of false promises in order to extort the best work out of junior staff. Poor career progression. Outdated IT systems.

Advice to Management

If you consider yourself a consulting firm, put in place the same development schemes (e.g. Up or Out). The company is in touch with the best HRDs across the world - leaving client-side should be an option for those who cannot progress internally.

Russell Reynolds2019-09-02
  8. "Fantastic people, fast paced culture"

Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people in the firm Friendly, social, and collaborative

Cons

Hard to advance from within

Russell Reynolds2019-08-21

"Project Management - Intense but Rewarding"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Russell Reynolds full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can only speak to my experience in the DC office, but the team is wonderful, funny, and fun-loving. The people who work in this office are the best and the brightest. We are all incredibly #hungry and work our tails off in pursuit of the highest quality work product. The research team I pair with regularly are super intelligent and the MDs are a good group with a great sense of humor. Our office head, Kimberly..., expects greatness but is fair (and more importantly open and welcoming).

Cons

If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the fire. The job is intense and demands greatness, but if you have ambition and a fire in your belly, you'll crush it. It is far more project management than traditional EA role in that you are fully integrated into the team and are working right there alongside the MDs and Researchers on client (and candidate) work.

Advice to Management

Great place to work - just keep an eye on stress levels as it can get intense in here.

Russell Reynolds2019-08-12
  10. "Solid Search Player, Conservatism Limits Expansion"

Former Employee - Knowledge Manager

I worked at Russell Reynolds full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of several search firms capable of executing mandates globally at the highest levels. Some very smart employees, partic in assessment biz.

Cons

Expansion beyond Search and traditionally associated services is a tough journey as other roles/kinds of work are not well understood.

Russell Reynolds2019-07-22