Found 4,003 of over 5K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What people are saying about Rutgers University
Got a burning question about Rutgers University? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Rutgers University employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Benefits are good and rewarding" (in 276 reviews)
- "The marketing department is filled with great people that are always willing to lend a helping hand" (in 178 reviews)
- "Flexible hours help me better to stretch my legs and keep my nose in the air because it is really important" (in 175 reviews)
- "The staff was friendly and helpful" (in 82 reviews)
- "Good work environment for undergraduate students looking for professional experience" (in 70 reviews)
- "low pay and extremely busy" (in 195 reviews)
- "Salary is low and has not been changed in over 12 years." (in 124 reviews)
- "academics are terrible at management" (in 68 reviews)
- "Some faculty members of the group are bad managers, mentoring not very highly valued." (in 24 reviews)
- "Poor leadership, constantly micro managing and HR did not support employees, only wanted to cover the image for the company, even if they knew what was going on was wrong." (in 22 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Rutgers University and is not affected by filters.
- 3.0Nov 24, 2023Graduate Research AssistantFormer Employee
Inclusive to diversity and there are opportunities to broaden your horizons IF you can take them.
My advisor, despite my protests, did not set me up to succeed for the moment when I graduated. Most PhD graduates in our department have a job by the time they defend their thesis. Since I had no papers, because my advisor ignored his own timelines he forced me to create, I wasn't able to get a job.
- 4.0Nov 26, 2023Program CoordinatorCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsNew Brunswick, NJ
Rutgers has good benefits, opportunities for growth and a variety of types of jobs.
larger company means that it is harder to know all of your colleagues.
- 1.0Sep 29, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
It truly is hard to share the pros where there isn’t any. You’ll meet people who’ve been there for 10+ years and they mind their own business and don’t want to cause any issues.
- upper management is terrible - the hr management is extremely toxic - as a consultant, i experienced UHR’s higher up gossiping about others on the team. I heard them talk about who is receiving a written reprimand, who is being terminated, who’s getting a vasectomy, etc. They shared a lot of information that should not be shared, and should be kept private. - upper management at UHR is also racist. They don’t like people of color. - If you do something wrong, you’ll receive the silent treatment. The other member is your typical entitled individual. also a misogynist and will talk down on you1
- 3.0Oct 17, 2023Research Teaching SpecialistCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearPiscataway, NJ
My lab and co-workers are amazing. I've been able to increase my salary over the past year, but got low-balled by admin in the beginning.
The Rutgers administration is a bloated terrible bureaucracy with nothing good to say about it. Fortunately, I can slip under the radar and do my own thing in my own lab, which is great. Fights between administration and the unions are constant, starting pay is frustratingly low, and so much comes out of my pay check that I only receive 69% of my gross pay in my pay check. The DEI propaganda is also unending!
- 5.0Nov 15, 2023Student Assistant- Office of Information TechnologyCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsNew Brunswick, NJ
Easy Going place laid back
Only barely above minimum wage
Rutgers University Reviews FAQs
Rutgers University has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 4,517 reviews left anonymously by employees. 77% of employees would recommend working at Rutgers University to a friend and 57% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
77% of Rutgers University employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Rutgers University 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.