Ryan, LLC Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 16, 2017

Consultant

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ryan has a flexible work environment that allows it's employees to create a customized approach to work life balance (in 97 reviews)

• They go out of their way to make accommodations for people with a flexible work environment that is truly unique (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 22 reviews)

• bonus structure not transparent enough, too many small teams compete with each other (in 20 reviews)

"Great work life balance but luck of draw"

Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Utilizing myRyan for work/life balance, company cares for employees by implementing tools to submit "anonymous" tips, community service is big value

Cons

Inefficient practices, outdated tools, glass ceiling depending on team, favouritism is definitely shown amongst teams, luck of the draw for what team and industry assigned

"Great vacation policy, but greedy top management"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The vacation policy is phenomenal! Very flexible and accommodating.
    The salary is good.

Cons

-Bonuses and awards are only for the very high producers. There is an annual meeting to dole out awards. The same groups tend to win each year, leaving the majority of employees to feel shamed and left out.
    -I felt deceived when I departed. I was told I would receive my departure payment at the end of the month in which I departed; however, the money due to me was not received until 2.5 months later and put me in financial difficulty. I felt quite deceived.
    -I didn't have consistent work, but when I did, I worked 65+ hours per week, and often worked 7 days a week. It was horrible and I didn't see family for weeks at a time.
    -The 401(k) matching was very minimal at best. It was quite disappointing.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with respect, and be thankful to all employees, not only those at the top levels of income production.

"Great company but inconsistent policy"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Property Tax
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Property Tax

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership is hands on and involved. Policies are great in theory. Coworkers and peers are all professional and great at their specialties. Benefits are what would be expected from a company of this size in finance industry.

Cons

MyRyan is a great program in theory and is used extensively during recruiting and marketing the company, but is not carried out by every office and every principal. Sure, the offices near our CEO probably abide by the policy, but other offices are not the same. MyRyan is only mainly for managers and is "earned". MyRyan is the policy that is supposed to allow employees to work where and when they want focusing on results not hours worked, but depending on the office you might as well forget it exists. We are expected to work 8 hours a day at minimum and our careers will suffer if we think about using MyRyan before becoming a manager or higher. It is a little disheartening that recruiters market this great policy but it is not accepted throughout the entire company. Our CEO repeatedly mentions it on our monthly calls, but principals must ignore it and do as they please. There is also no way for employees to currently submit anonymous issues to HR. There is forum for employees to submit ideas and also where employees can submit serious legal problems (sexual harassment, etc) but no forum where we can express or comment on how managers are doing. Wish there was a way to tell HR or leadership about our concerns or that company policy is not being followed or carried out.

Advice to Management

Develop a way for anonymous employee feedback. Train managers and principals on corporate policy and have the HR team actively involved in ensuring employees are treated fairly and that corporate policies are being followed. Love the leadership and the company, but it is sad that rogue offices in large service lines are not implementing CEO directives and other corporate policies. Hard to say we are the best and compete with other tax companies when their offices actually represent the company and what it stands for.

"Do not make the mistake of working here"

Current Employee - Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people that work here are cool.

Cons

The staff is treated like resources and not valued at all. Pay is below average for this industry. My managers don't seem to have had any management training. My department is required to be in the office at a certain time while others do not. Management plays favorites. Most people here are looking or interviewing for another job. I would not recommend someone for a job here.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites and treat employees better.

"Sr Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My Ryan gives you flexibility to adjust your work schedule.

Cons

Management does not care about the people below them. Very unappreciative and discouraging work environment.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to all of your employees because even non management can give you insight you daily issues.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ryan's commitment to a flexible, yet results-driven work environment should be the standard for professional service firms everywhere. It allows employees to achieve work-life success that simply cannot be found with other firms.

The incentive compensation model encourages success and (generally) rewards the amount of effort put forth.

I commend Brint for his vision and steadfast support of the flexible work environment, as well as his philosophy of speaking directly without sugar coating issues.

Cons

Case assignment sometimes still depends on "favorites", resulting in some teams having less to work with, thus making it harder to achieve the same type of success.

Advice to Management

Stay committed to the flexible work environment. Explore methods of case assignment that result in a more equitable distribution of large / profitable clients.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibly for parents. CEO, Brint Ryan, is hands on instead of hiding at corporate office. Recent manager changes for me have meant working 80 hour weeks to less than 50!

Cons

It can be difficult to get hired on as the process is long.

Advice to Management

Keep working on fixing our internal barriers.

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I recently finished my first year at Ryan and I can't say enough great things about this company. I'm surrounded by highly intelligent and ambitious people that make me excited to come to work every day. My time in Severance Tax has been very rewarding so far and I can't wait to see what comes next. I would definitely recommend applying to work at Ryan if you're a college student about to graduate.

Cons

Network connectivity problems can be an annoyance, but given that's the only con I can think of, I think Ryan is doing a pretty great job.

Advice to Management

It seems that Severance Tax has a winning formula when it comes to management. My only advice would be to keep up the great work. Additionally, I really think that the monthly all-hands calls from the CEO are a great way to distribute information and feel connected at a firm-wide level.

"A Company That Truly Cares for Its Employees"

Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ryan cares for its employees well-being, which is directly evidenced by it's work/life balance program called MyRyan. I previously worked at another accounting firm, and was drawn to a company like Ryan- a company that treated its employees like they were indispensable. Ryan wants its employees to stay at the firm and succeed, not just leave after two years. It's possible to have a successful career and a life while working at the firm. Programs like MyRyan attract top talent that make going to work each day great. Also, Ryan's client service is superior to other firms in its field. Ryan has time and again saved clients more money than other firms.

Cons

The flexible work program is great- but you still must complete your work in a timely manner and with high quality. This firm is best for high achievers and hard workers.

Advice to Management

The monthly status update meeting from the CEO were great. Its always nice to hear how well the company is doing!

"Big plans with poor implementation"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company had been newly acquired and had been plans for growth. Management pitched great opportunities for career growth in both interviews.

Cons

Poor management. Little to no training. Must have a business degree to advance.

Advice to Management

When you limit your employees ability to promote based on having a'business' degree or not, you are setting yourself up for failure. Further, having people who do NOT have the degree and skill set that you desire, train those who do is creating a real opportunity for sabotage.