Ryan, LLC Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Ryan, LLC Los Angeles Reviews

Los Angeles, CA

3.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ryan has a flexible work environment that allows it's employees to create a customized approach to work life balance (in 97 reviews)

• They go out of their way to make accommodations for people with a flexible work environment that is truly unique (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 22 reviews)

• bonus structure not transparent enough, too many small teams compete with each other (in 20 reviews)

"My Experience at Ryan"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Ryan as a Senior Consultant and have grown into the role of a Team Leader within the firm. Ryan has many attractive qualities as a company within the tax services industry. Some of the big ones are the myRyan platform, which allows you to work remotely as necessary, the bonus payout system, and the dearth of opportunities for professional development. As long as you strive to achieve and (most importantly) deliver results to the firm, you will be fine and handsomely compensated.

Cons

Ryan is not for everyone. It's a results-driven culture which requires serious hustle and a go-getter's attitude. Complacency will get stamped out and if you're not always trying to build a book of business, you will likely fail. I've seen technically sound and highly knowledgeable managers/directors struggle because they couldn't sell. This can create stress and pressure for those who aren't use to this type of environment.

"Sale tax"

Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I received a 3,000 bonus to start. It's in downtown Los Angeles easy accessible. Ryan pays for your parking and gym membership, but you never have time to go.

Cons

You work 15 hours plus daily including weekends, so no family time.
    Pay is below the standard 50k to start.
    Good old boy good old girl place.
    Demotivating place to work for.
    Management doesn't care, you have to brown nose.
    No good raises nor bonuses.
    Managements culture is pretty bad. Stay away from this place. If you can don't work here

Advice to Management

Pay more, make mandatory work 9 or less hours. Get rid of good old boy girl club

"Great Company, Depending on Team and Practice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The flexible work schedule seems to keep most people at Ryan happy. Ryan has won plenty of awards to show that people, in general, have been happy to work at Ryan. The work is challenging and the bonuses, if earned, are pretty solid as well. Brint Ryan and the upper management is cognizant of the needs of the employees and acts on the feedback provided.

Cons

In my practice area (transaction tax compliance), promotions, accountability, and the management have been issues.

Promotions: The metrics being used to decide whether or not someone is 'ready for the next step' don't apply well to TTC. Basically, if the principal or director assigns you a client, it's out of your control whether or not it's a large revenue generator or profitable. I'd like to say it's the luck of the draw, but based on the fact that a bunch of cliquey women run TTC, one gender is clearly favored. I've never seen a male get promoted beyond Senior Consultant, which is sad because most leave to pursue actual growth and ultimately thrive elsewhere.

Accountability: As part of orientation at Ryan, we see the bonus structure and how lucrative it can be. Anyone below a director has no bearing over the bonus. Thought you were earning a bonus for supplying marketing support and contact information? Think again.

Management: TTC has been noted as having a 'revolving door' of employment because of the amount of turnover. It's no secret that when a handful of people leave in January (the busiest filing month), they do it on purpose. The management (principals, directors, managers, team leads) refuse to acknowledge there's a problem with their leadership. Treat people like garbage because they aren't in your clique and they're going to leave, every time. Happy hours and mandatory team outings aren't going to fix morale, respect will.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the reasons for turnover. The lazy are being rewarded because of blatant favoritism and the hard workers are leaving. Without action, we'll be left with a talentless, uninspired bunch of yes-men.

"Focused Learning Areas, Limited Career Path"

Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ryan, LLC (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can learn about niche areas of the tax world. They are willing to hire inexperienced people so it can be a good first job.

Cons

Like another reviewer, i've become very disillusioned about working at Ryan. Work life balance? Please. Most of the people I know at this company are not happy and don't feel like they have a work life balance. It's long hours of mind numbingly dull work. No time is sacred to Ryan employees. Be prepared to be accessible at all times, even on PTO.

I believe the reason that Ryan wins so many awards is that people are scared to say what they really think to management. There is a real culture of paranoia at Ryan. At our recent annual meeting Brint Ryan read negative comments from Glassdoor to the entire company. These (very legitimate) complaints were all met with "I respect your opinion but... " *INSERT REASON WHY COMPLAINT IS WRONG*. There was not one genuine moment of humility. Ryan pretends they want open and honest feedback, but unless you agree with their "vision" it won't be welcomed.

I was lucky enough to have a manager that allowed some work from home. Most people aren't, yet Ryan touts this as their culture. They use it as a tool to get people into Ryan and it's disingenuous and deceptive. If you are going to play the culture game and throw around buzzwords, you better be able to back it up. If a manager doesn't follow myRyan they should be F I R E D as this is counter to your culture - which you claim is so important to you, right? But, the thing is, Ryan does not have a real cohesive culture that is anything more than a marketing ploy. Seems like someone in HR read a case study of Zappos and decided they needed to have a "culture" so they could attract talent.

They also have unlimited PTO for salaried employees. This should tell you loud and clear what little opportunity you will have to take PTO.

There is only one path and thats consultant to management. You won't learn anything outside of your practice area and won't be very marketable when you go and look for a new job, even if its in tax. You can go into other tax careers, but your options will be limited by the narrow focused nature of the tax consultant position at Ryan. If you currently work at Ryan and want to get out you need to take it upon yourself to try to get involved in other tasks beyond the glorified data entry you are probably doing.

The money is not good for the hours required. Salaries are below market and the bonuses are a joke. There are people that have made a lot of money at Ryan, but kind of like those diet commercials - those results are not typical. Consultants have to share 3% of the fee (so expect bonuses that are fractions of a percent), while managers, principals and marketing take big percentages.

Ryan does not care about consultants. Consultants are worker bees who do the busy work to get projects out the door to get principals paid. As a consultant you are replaceable and Ryan will gladly show you the door if you're ready to go. They will make no concessions for even the best of the best consultants. The truth is, they don't need to. Some college kid can learn your job in 6-8 months and for less money. The job is mindless and not difficult, but a lot of people don't survive because of the labor intensive nature of it.

The bonus nature of the compensation package also breeds a lot of greed, backstabbing and unethical behavior. Ryan thinks that these problems (specifically unethical behavior) exist because we aren't following the old way of doing things (very regimented, process heavy, follow a checklist). Thats not the problem. The problem is the kill or be killed environment YOU created with the low base salary compensation model.

And to top it all off, my last paycheck was sent via a wire transfer and not the regular ACH payroll deposit. This caused me to be hit with a $15 fee from my bank, as is typical with wire transfers. I nicely asked Ryan to reimburse me the $15 fee over a month ago and they have ignored me and not paid me back (even when I finally got a hold of someone to tell me that they would). Enjoy that $15 Ryan, hope it was worth it.

Advice to Management

Stop writing fake reviews on Glassdoor.

5. "Amazing flexibility!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great flexibility that allows you to achieve results without a focus on hours in the office. Working from home is easy and encouraged.

Cons

Due to out of office work environment, newer employees may have a difficult time learning, adjusting, etc.

Advice to Management

Create stronger development and training programs that assist new employees with a transition to Ryan. Otherwise, you will lose new employees that feel lost.

6. "Good place to get a start"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedules. Work was not charge hour focused but just getting the work done. Not a lot of overtime like other public accounting firms. Team oriented so hopefully you get along with your team.

Cons

Relatively small office in LA. If you don't like your team there is a lot of politics to switching teams similar to most places.

"Consultant"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

The use of myRyan is absolutely exceptional. This allows employees to work from any location, without the need to be in the office. Because Ryan is structured as a team environment, the use of myRyan is heavily dependent upon whether your manager wishes to use it for your team. Many teams do not use it often. Depending on which division you are in (sales and use, unclaimed property, etc), there will be opportunities for travel. There is no micro-managing - however, this is dependent upon your team. In my team, there was micro-managing. The firm offers a variety of free courses to further your knowledge via RyanNet.

Cons

Because of the use of myRyan, the business is driven by work performed and not hours worked. There have been numerous occasions where my manager would send me e-mails at 2am. Consequently, there is no work-life balance. Your experience at Ryan will be extremely dependent upon whose team you are in. Your success is dependent upon who is you team leader/manager. The benefits at the firm are not that great either: pay, bonus, health insurance. Because Ryan is a specialty tax firm, make sure this is the career you want to be in. The skills you acquire here will not transfer easily to another firm. I believe that unless you are in the Dallas HQ office, you will not enjoy your time here.

Advice to Management

When you promote someone to a managerial position, make sure you give them all of the necessary training BEFORE they assume that position. Additionally, re-structure your training program for new hires. the on-boarding process was nonexistent. Lastly, understand your employee morale outside of the Dallas HQ. Don't put so much emphasis on random surveys that you make your employees fill out almost every month.

8. "Great place to work for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management. Good people. Good company policies and procedures. They give you flexibility in your work schedule. Not a Big 4, but they're just as good without the daily overtime.

Cons

Not much. There will always be some office politics since people within the office have different personalities. Also, they recruit straight out of college like the Big 4s.. so there's a level of immaturity amongst those who are young.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

9. "Great"

Current Employee - Tax Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

The pay is great and management embraces myRyan

Cons

Working in teams can be a hassle sometimes

Advice to Management

Embrace myRyan

"Poor Benefits, self serving, good flexibility"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, thats about it...

Cons

401k horrible, insurance expensive, ability for advancement lacking

Advice to Management

Stop being so self indulgent and try to think about your employees