Ryan, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ryan has a flexible work environment that allows it's employees to create a customized approach to work life balance (in 96 reviews)

• We have excellent compensation & benefits, with a very flexible work environment (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 22 reviews)

• bonus structure not transparent enough, too many small teams compete with each other (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Establish a successful career"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are driven, want to work with others that are very bright and motivated and want a successful career, then this is the place for you. At Ryan, the focus is being the best we can at what we do and providing the best service for our clients. This requires hard work, but the hard work pays off. You are recognized for what you do at Ryan, and this includes compensation-wise and in terms of promotions. The icing on the cake is that I feel like I can have the best of both worlds – work towards a high-powered, successful career while also having the flexibility to work remotely when needed thanks to MyRyan.

Cons

There are a number of administrative obligations that can get tedious, but Management has been working hard to work on these.

Advice to Management

Please continue to ask us to provide you our feedback. You do a great job of listening to what your employees tell you and then acting on it!

2. "I love working here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, flexible hours, exciting travel, countless perks. I have worked at other big name companies prior, and they don't even compare. At Ryan I feel valued and like my opinion counts. The CEO, G. Brint Ryan, is very hands-on, which is wonderful. He lends and ear to any concerns people have. He holds monthly all-hands calls to keep everyone on the same page. I feel like I make a difference doing my work, and it is almost always rewarded in some form. It is a fantastic work environment and there are endless opportunities!

Cons

If anything, I would say that some of our IT equipment/services could be updated, but they are already working on this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work staying in communication with everyone in the firm. It really is appreciated more than you could ever know.

3. "Analyst"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work and amigable co-workers. We are able to work from home.

Cons

Constantly working overtime especially during busy season but I guess that's just the nature of the business.

"Be aware!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environments, average pay, decent benefits.

Cons

They promise the world and deliver very little. Management of company is non-existent. You're pretty much on your own. Culture is geared towards individuals rather than team. CEO is responsible for that. He also expects you to go after clients who are late with their payment, but he never pays his vendors on time. People are leaving on a regular basis, despite a promise of a profit sharing bonus payout that has now been delayed three times. (by design). Unless your in the Ryan "Club" you can forget about significant bonuses. Base salaries are not up to market standards , at least in the organization I'm in. No rhyme or reason as to how the work is allocated. Revenue benchmarks are way above realistic. No clear roles as there is much duplication of efforts in my organization.

Advice to Management

Get a professional consultant to come in and reorganize this company and convince the CEO to get out of the way.

"No respect or consideration for long-term employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pros are all in the past.

Cons

Bonuses promised but not paid after months of excuses from senior leader.

Refusal to allow time off after 10 years of service.

No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Just be nice. Follow the golden rule.

"Sr Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My Ryan gives you flexibility to adjust your work schedule.

Cons

Management does not care about the people below them. Very unappreciative and discouraging work environment.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to all of your employees because even non management can give you insight you daily issues.

7. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Very good work life balance

Cons

Senior management can take some time to institute new changes

"Smoke and Mirrors"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

The MyRyan unlimited paid time off system can allow you to take off more days than you would at other companies. This mostly only applies if you are an underperformer because if you are a good worker you will be expected to work all the time. To be fair they do reimburse some of the gym membership, cell phone, transit etc.

Cons

Ryan boasts about having a great work/life balance "work when you want where you want". If it sounds too good to be true than it usually is. Yes, some people will be able to work at home if you have a manager that accepts MyRyan but you will also be expected to answer emails and get work done at all times of day/night/holidays and expect to hear about it if you don't answer immediately.

The "bonuses" for the most part are a complete joke. Most of the teams outside of Dallas get the "dog" projects which drag on forever and barely if ever pay out anything significant. The upper management loves to let everyone know about one manager/team that brought in a very large fee and got big bonuses. Guess what? This is a VERY small group and usually is complete luck,being in Dallas and being in good with certain Partners. The majority of the teams are stuck with a bunch of small insignificant projects and expected to somehow turn tin into gold to hit the ridiculous benchmarks.

It should also be mentioned that below manager the entire staff bonus SPLITS 3% of the fee! You can do the math if you are familiar with the typical fees in this industry and say on average 3-4 people on a project how generous! But oh let's not forget that one oil and gas team brought in millions so that staff got good bonuses and only talk about that.

Advice to Management

Stop giving new hires unreal expectations of what they will earn with this system. You should probably let them know that many of your employees are making lower than the base salary at other firms even with the bonuses.

9. "Great work life balance, but a strong culture of greed."

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance program. Approachable leadership if you have any issues or advice for improvements. CEO truly cares about his employees. You can make a lot of money in bonuses if you're in the right situation.

Cons

A lot of colluding by principals to horde accounts and prospects. Everyone is about money here, so there is a lot of greed and back stabbing here. Horrible training or lack thereof for technical experience, though not the fault of the training department.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on the improvement of the account ownership/sales process even though there will be growing pains. Look to improve project distribution and utilization of teams. Keep innovating your work life balance culture.

Ryan, LLC Response

Jul 27, 2017 – X

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that our efforts towards continual improvement are working.

"A Mixed Bag"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My Ryan

Commitment to client satisfaction

Cons

Strongly suggesting employees to create positive reviews on Glassdoor and surveys. The overwhelming positive reviews on the site at times felt like a demonstration of loyalty to management.

Company is focused on results, which can be good, but at times at the expense of others. Ryan can be a difficult environment for collaboration as the system is designed for conflict rather than cooperation.

Lack of experienced managers created a void, with good people moving on leaving less capable leaders in place to protect their turf.

A regional firm that wants to be a national player, but stuck in a very conservative mindset reminiscent of the 1950's. The company has made an effort to promote and support women, but not much else.

Politically conservative and often appeals to employees to donate to the Ryanpac. The donation is suggested, but they do keep track and participation is strongly encouraged. It can be awkward when the PAC supports politicians that are in violation of one's values.

Advice to Management

Ryan is not a small company any longer, stop thinking like one.