Ryan, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • The work environment was difficult to support a work-life balance (in 92 reviews)

• They go out of their way to make accommodations for people with a flexible work environment that is truly unique (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 21 reviews)

• bonus structure not transparent enough, too many small teams compete with each other (in 19 reviews)

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

the work and life balance is good

Cons

not a lot of opportunity for advancement. managers only care about their bonuses and do not allocate fairly.

"Will management listen before they drive the company into the ground?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing is that they hire intelligent people who are highly motivated to get the job done. Generally, you can depend on people to help if you reach out, and there's a lot to learn if you take the opportunity.
    The myRyan environment works well and people are grateful.

Cons

- the account assignment system is flawed. A few principals own most of the large accounts and don't like to share, shutting down opportunities for the firm to grow. Arrogance and greed rule the day.
    - the comp plan doesn't work. A few make 7 figure incomes, but unless you're on an oil and gas account, most lower people suffer from substandard compensation as the promised bonuses are surprisingly hard to achieve - this is due to it being rigged in favor of the client principal who many times does little to nothing, the fact that many engagements shouldn't be performance based, and long timers hogging the most lucrative accounts - what works in Texas flat out doesn't work in many other states.
    - principals sit on accounts stifling business. I know of many instances where they've been brought great opportunities by underlings but they shut it down. Most principals are myopic and don't know how to cross sell.
    - Too many rules, too much bureaucracy, and too much hierarchy stifles entrepreneurialism - the only people allowed to be creative either live in Dallas, or are in the inner circle - they bring in great people but pig-headed upper management shuts them down
    - management is too Dallas-centric and out of touch with the Northeast and west coast. Pay lags well behind the market in these areas and policies (like hotel rates) and account assignments are out of touch.
    - Management is tone deaf to employees - my coworkers are demoralized due to departures by unsatisfied employees. Upper management doesn't realize the reality of the marketplace, with different tax laws making the business work differently
    - HR, IT, Facilities, and Finance have been a revolving door - they're overworked, under compensated, management keeps the hamstrung with poor systems and unrealistic, petty policies they have to enforce
    - training requirement sounds great, but if you're not in Dallas, and at a higher level, boring, mind numbing canned classes are all there are...
    - poor health insurance, 401k, etc.
    - cheap, shortsighted cellphone reimbursement policy has made more employees mad than any one single action by management
    - every purchase takes forever, even if within policy. Approval chains are long, and even $3 of postage must be approved by highest management - is this the best use of their time??

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and make needed changes. When you hire expertise to help you improve the company, LISTEN to them - you've driven many high quality people away. Realize the other 49 states aren't run like Texas and adapt the business to the realities of the marketplace. Don't stifle entrepreneurialism - it's what made the firm great and it's what can push us to further great things. Don't pigeonhole people - many of us with great skills and abilities are working at a fraction of our capacity due to your constraints and barriers. Unleash the power of your people, don't crush us with petty policies, the inflexible and odious Workday and shortsighted cellphone and office equipment policies. Make Ryan a truly Great Place to Work, rather than gaming the system for the title - we see through the facade...employees will respond to honest, sincere commitment on your part to supporting us and reward you with a better, more profitable company, rather than being demoralized and ruled by fear.

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flextime is good in theory and generally good co-workers, but...

Cons

Pay system is designed to pit co-workers against one another for bonuses and management decides who gets what accounts. Cultish environment with Brent Ryan at the helm. You are always on call.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bonus system and pay fairly.

"Property Tax Consultant"

Former Employee - Property Tax Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Property Tax Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is great at making money. Their culture allows for very flexible hours as needed. Good benefits.

Cons

Management is only concerned with meeting monthly revenue targets. The valuation work is simple in order to get through hundreds of properties. Takes a long time to advance.

Advice to Management

Worry about the people more than making your personal revenue goals/collecting your bonus.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance.
    Offices in upscale locations.
    After one year you might be able to move to a different team or tax type.

Cons

Training is limited. Most in house training video's focus on the history of Ryan. Very little in the way of tax specific to the job for entry to mid career employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to all employees not just the principles. Good ideas can come from anyone.

Ryan, LLC Response

Aug 9, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

"Senior Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Parma, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Parma, OH

I worked at Ryan, LLC (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall a good company to work for. It was hard for me to leave, but I had to. I was drowning financially.

Cons

They have a red line policy/salary cap and if you hit it you will Never ever ever ever get a raise again. They took away all bonus potential for the Admin staff. The bonus never trickled down to me on the team. I lost $7000.00 a year in income. and everything around me kept going up and up. I got my Social Security earnings and this is how it went. I have not had a raise since 2007. In 2008 my earnings were 47,000. in 2009 45000, in 2010 45000, in 2011 44,000 in 2012 46000, in 2013 43000, in 2014 41000, in 2015 40000. A 7000 dollar loss a year!

Advice to Management

GET RID OF YOUR RED LINE POLICY AND REWARD EMPLOYEES FOR LOYALTY AND LONGEVITY!!!! I said it a million times. I begged! You destroyed my dignity! It is discusting that the company made $450 milllion in revenue and I couldnt get a raise or promotion. You could have fixed this, but you wouldnt fix it!

"Long hours with horrible culture for below average pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Great experience for the industry but best used as a stepping stone. Flexible work schedule, however you are literally on call 24/7 and might sleep in your office/cube.

Cons

If you like working long hours for below average pay and a horrible back stabbing culture the they are the employer for you. The pyramid type compensation scheme leads to minimal opportunities if you are not willing to brown nose or sacrifice your own bonus to get decent projects. Basically if you start out in a satellite office outside of Dallas, the benefits are limited. They don't reward the people who perform the work but rather the people who sell the work. Even if you are able to land a new prosperous client chances are a Principal has already listed them as their own, even if they do not have a contact inside the firm. Basically your typical Republican bureaucracy to make the rich richer off the backs of others. For a small growing company their business model is fine, but their recent growth (strictly by acquisition, and not necessarily organically) has put constant strain on internal departments and functions such as IT, HR, recruiting, and as a result limited their employees due compensation. It's a Big Four wannabe with the same long hours, worse benefits, a toxic culture, and less pay.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees at least industry average, correct case assignment issues, hold Principals responsible when clients to don't pay (not the employees paychecks who then suffer as a result of the Principals cutting back door deals), quit the Texas branch office favoritism, provide teams with better resources to do their jobs effectively as in extra staff and access to better projects (especially when so much of your pay is based on bonuses due to the quality of projects sold by others. If you don't start out on a large revenue team you are in trouble.

"Hard for Non-Exempt to benefit of flextime"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work perks and compensation.

Cons

Non-exempt employees don't benefit from flextime.

Advice to Management

Stop adding extra levels of management into the mix.

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Windsor, CT

I worked at Ryan, LLC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Numerous outstanding people with better talent than the Big 4.

Cons

Turnover. Compensation. Management needs to learn how to manage more than themselves. Bigger is not necessarily better.

Advice to Management

Put in a management team that has experience managing an organization, not telling everyone what to do. Turnover in the operations area should tell you that. Otherwise $1B will never happen. Can't buy it.

"The good people are gone..."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Plano, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

There used to be pros before great management left.

Cons

Upper management (one man in particular) doesn't trust his team enough to manage their groups. Budgets are not given out and internal promotion without the proper education is a sign they are a company out for yes, sir than making a change for the better.

Advice to Management

Can't give advice when they won't take advice that has already been given.