Ryan, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Ryan provides the training needed to succeed Ryan offers employees a work/life balance that is like no other company (in 88 reviews)

• They go out of their way to make accommodations for people with a flexible work environment that is truly unique (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 19 reviews)

• The bonus structure promotes a selfish environment (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I Came Back to the Greenest Grass"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I joined Ryan straight out of college. After a few good years, I left the firm to go work elsewhere in a different industry. After only a couple of months of being away from Ryan, I sorely missed it. I quickly recognized what a difference it made to have leadership that is trustworthy, reliable, and future-focused. I've been back at Ryan for over 7 years now, and it's such a blessing to work with true professionals every day, knowing that they'll carry their part, and that the firm cares for me as an individual employee. The flexible work schedule is a huge benefit towards minimizing stress each day. Being able to work from home if you're not feeling 100% and not having to worry about clocking-in late because of rush hour traffic is just priceless.

Cons

While the firm has just celebrated its 25th Anniversary, we're still growing at a brisk pace. That brings with it some growing pains, but we manage to continue to improve on that year after year and are charging ahead to a bright future.

Advice to Management

Continue to take risks towards future success and continue to welcome fresh ideas from creative employees.

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I recently finished my first year at Ryan and I can't say enough great things about this company. I'm surrounded by highly intelligent and ambitious people that make me excited to come to work every day. My time in Severance Tax has been very rewarding so far and I can't wait to see what comes next. I would definitely recommend applying to work at Ryan if you're a college student about to graduate.

Cons

Network connectivity problems can be an annoyance, but given that's the only con I can think of, I think Ryan is doing a pretty great job.

Advice to Management

It seems that Severance Tax has a winning formula when it comes to management. My only advice would be to keep up the great work. Additionally, I really think that the monthly all-hands calls from the CEO are a great way to distribute information and feel connected at a firm-wide level.

3. "A Company That Truly Cares for Its Employees"

Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ryan cares for its employees well-being, which is directly evidenced by it's work/life balance program called MyRyan. I previously worked at another accounting firm, and was drawn to a company like Ryan- a company that treated its employees like they were indispensable. Ryan wants its employees to stay at the firm and succeed, not just leave after two years. It's possible to have a successful career and a life while working at the firm. Programs like MyRyan attract top talent that make going to work each day great. Also, Ryan's client service is superior to other firms in its field. Ryan has time and again saved clients more money than other firms.

Cons

The flexible work program is great- but you still must complete your work in a timely manner and with high quality. This firm is best for high achievers and hard workers.

Advice to Management

The monthly status update meeting from the CEO were great. Its always nice to hear how well the company is doing!

5. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Flexibility, management, and down to earth people

Cons

Your success depends on the success of your team

"Work/Life Success"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ryan's flexible work environment, myRyan is certainly a key feature of the company's success strategy, and I'm grateful to be able to work remotely. It's a perk that would stand on its own as a reason to never leave (the underlying philosophy is 'work where and when you want, just produce results), but there's much, much more to the Ryan story. Ryan is making tremendous gains in the industry, and the CEO is a force to be reckoned with. The guy is seriously fearless -- he's gone head to head in court with the IRS and other taxing bodies, and won. Ryan has taken on cases that other firms won't touch, all in the name of defending taxpayer rights, and stopping government overreach. I LOVE working for a place that is feisty, scrappy, and encourages this entrepreneurial spirit in its employees. You don't just feel like a mindless drone; you feel like you're a part of something bigger and better, and potentially life-changing. There's something very special and unique about Ryan that is different than other places I've worked, and I am excited to see what happens next.

Cons

Sometimes telecommuting can be a little lonely.

Advice to Management

The monthly all-hands calls and Q&As are a fantastic way to feel connected, and learn about company initiatives. Please don't stop!

"Choosing Ryan was one of the best decisions I have ever made!"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Joining Ryan over 6 years ago was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

(1) Ryan has very competitive compensation packages and benefits to ensure we hire the best of the best out there. The members of the team I am on are stellar.
    (2) The flexibility allowed at Ryan to achieve a successful work/life balance is unmatched--the ability to choose my own hours and work from home has been a lifesaver for me and my family.
    (3) It is refreshing to be in a company where upper management stresses the importance of transparency. The CEO himself speaks to the entire company on at least a monthly basis. He also holds regional Town Halls periodically and invites every level of employee to speak their minds--whether with complaints or praise.

I am surrounded by the best minds in tax and in the best environment, while being compensated very nicely. What more could one ask for?

Cons

I think the office thermostat was installed for aesthetics rather than function. It doesn't seem to matter which way I turn the device--I'm always hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. This is a very minor complaint, however, because when I'm uncomfortable, I can leave and work wherever I want.

Mar 7, 2017 – X

Thank you for your review. We'll work to get the thermostat fixed!

"Great Opportunity for High Achievers"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In short, Ryan is a great place for high-achievers. If you welcome challenges, are creative, curious, intelligent, and have a strong work ethic, you will be successful. In the early days Ryan had a reputation as a sweatshop for young tax consultants. This was evidenced by the Big 4's efforts to poach senior consultants and managers in the early and mid-2000's. Now, Ryan has matured into a firm with a healthy balance of career growth and personal attention that I find refreshing and rare in the consulting / accounting / finance industry. If you are a young college grad you will grow faster and gain more experience with Ryan than with most other firms. If you are experienced and coming from another firm there will be an adjustment period as you become accustomed to Ryan's method of doing business.

The long story (my personal story): I joined Ryan’s Dallas office fresh out of college in 2004 as a Finance grad from a Midwestern university. I wasn’t necessarily looking for a career in tax, but the business model and the amount of young talent was attractive. I just happened to join one of the fastest-growing and most successful sales and use tax teams in the firm (my original manager is now a practice leader). I left Ryan after two years primarily for personal and location reasons (my now-spouse lived in a city without a Ryan office), but back then a lot of people left Ryan when they were ready to settle down and start a family. The work environment was difficult to support a work-life balance. I worked in the energy industry for a few years and ended up starting a couple small businesses that provided a handsome living. Still, I had always enjoyed the people at Ryan and enjoyed the work, and after I grew my businesses about as big as they could be I still felt I had more opportunity at Ryan. I started unwinding my businesses in 2013 and re-joined Ryan, winding down my last business in late 2015. What a difference seven years made – Ryan had grown from 250 employees to 2,000 employees and had taken massive steps to improve employee retention through myRyan (go visit the website to read more - it really is unique and a lifesaver for those with kids). I now have my own team and am relocating from Dallas to the Northeast to help build out one of our practices in the region. It is an opportunity to grow both personally and financially that would be rare at a much larger firm such as the Big 4. I am well aware of the opportunities, or lack thereof, at the Big 4 based on numerous friends who work in all four firms - many of whom used to work at Ryan.

Being able to view Ryan from the inside as an employee, from afar as an ex-employee, and again as an employee gives me valuable perspective that most Ryan employees do not have, as most of those who joined since 2008 have remained at Ryan. Choose an industry job if you want to work barely 40 hours a week, grow excruciatingly slow in your career, handle compliance issues every month, and decent benefits but mediocre pay. Choose the Big 4 if you want high turnover, decent pay but no life-changing opportunities and the experience of always leaving money on the table for your clients. Choose Ryan if you wish to be financially rewarded for the amount of tax you save your clients, want to work with a young and talented workforce, wish to be promoted based on results rather than seniority, and want a company with much room to grow within the market. I love working at Ryan and would recommend it to anyone who believes their desires align with my experience.

Cons

Your success, at least early in your career (5 years or less), is heavily dependent upon the practice area and team you are hired into. The firm is taking steps to ensure a somewhat even distribution of projects, but just like the real world the highest-achieving managers will be given the best projects. Ryan does not exercise a welfare / redistribution scheme so that everybody gets a trophy. I recommend pressing hard in your interviews and with your recruiter to learn the amount of opportunity in your planned destination. If you happen to end up on a team with limited opportunity, take the initiative to network with other teams and lead some of the committees to show your leadership potential. If you truly are a hard worker and deserving of opportunity it will be given to you – you may just have to work harder than those who fall into a top-performing team. Once you are promoted and running your own team your success will rely solely upon your own talents.

Advice to Management

Keep the pipeline flowing for new clients. Also, don't skimp on HR initiatives.

"Ryan is a leading tax services company that rewards employee contributions!"

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- With over 70 tax service lines an employee can find the area of tax they like to work and thrive in.
    - The company has experienced long term year over year growth which creates opportunities for career development for its employees.
    - Ryan has an impressive and growing client roster that affords it's employees the ability to provide tax services to some of the largest business organizations in the world.
    - Ryan is the leader in the industry in many areas of taxation. Ryan is the largest provider of AUP, Property Tax and Transaction Tax Services in the United States. It is always an advantage to work for the leader in any industry!
    - Ryan has extensive internal training opportunities available for its employees.
    - Ryan has a flexible work environment that allows it's employees to create a customized approach to work life balance.

If you are looking for a career in the tax services field there is no reason to look any further than Ryan LLC.

Cons

The tax services industry is a very technical and demanding field of employment and it may not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

Stay innovative!

"Great Company with a Fantastic Future"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ryan give us the tools to do our work efficiently and effectively. It is a company that strives for a good work environment for employees. Ryan is by far the best consulting firm I have ever worked for and the drive to improve is second to none.

Cons

Only a company for people driven to success, but that makes it a Pro.

Advice to Management

Keep steering the ship in the right direction

Feb 22, 2017 – X

Thank you for your review of Ryan, LLC.

"Buckle up !"

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Before joining Ryan, I'd heard about the exciting culture, committed employees and saw their ever expanding presence in the market. They were winning deals and taking names. I was evaluating a higher base salary at another firm or a good salary plus a potentially higher bonus plan with Ryan.
    All other benefits being pretty square, the variable was me. I took a leap of faith - on myself. I went with my gut instincts and my only regret, 4.5 years later, was not doing it sooner.
    1) A highly engaged executive team that is accessible, (truly) cares about employees, listens and takes brisk action when necessary. (This makes a real difference. Changes at big 4 are painfully slow.)
    2) Ryan provides a perfect balance of market presence and resources coupled with unmatched high growth. The result is an environment which allows for talented individuals to thrive and grow.
    3) Hands down - the best work environment. My experience at 2 big 4 firms and one small firm (200 people) provide good perspective. Please do not underestimate the importance of this factor. Work and life, for me, run hand in hand. It is critical to make the right decision. If you are considering a role at Ryan and you believe in yourself the choice is clear.

Cons

Growing pains are a natural course of a high growth business. Ryan is implementing systems, updating software, hiring the right professionals to manage how prospects and targets can be allocated to best serve the firm. The con is that this takes some time to work out the kinks, get it right and then get everyone on-board with the new processes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, it's working. (and thank you!)

Feb 28, 2017 – X

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Is is definitely fast-paced at Ryan!