Ryan, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Ryan provides the training needed to succeed Ryan offers employees a work/life balance that is like no other company (in 82 reviews)

• They go out of their way to make accommodations for people with a flexible work environment that is truly unique (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan provides extreme flexibility to ensure a work life balance, and I have seen some people struggle with properly managing the flexibility (in 18 reviews)

• The bonus structure promotes a selfish environment (in 17 reviews)

1. "Tax Consultant at Ryan"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Ryan is an excellent company to launch your career

The firm does an excellent job promoting work-life balance. There is not a better place to work in this regard.

Cons

Pay could be a little higher.

Company is a bit conservative overall and could use diversity. No office in downtown Chicago.

Advice to Management

Keep employees better informed. Make sure senior management goes through better training to be ready for the responsibility of managing the strong pool of young talent at Ryan.

2. "SAUT"

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great place to move up the latter in a reasonable amount of time and a well known firm in the state of Texas.

Cons

A firm that Primarily focuses on Sales and Use Tax, not able to expand your knowledge base outside of SAUT

Advice to Management

A great work environment which needs to not focus on number of hours worked but the quality of the work being displayed for clients.

3. "Great place to work, if you can stand"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Dallas, TX

Pros

The flexibility is unsurpassed, and the bonuses can be pretty staggering as well.

Cons

Not everyone gets the engagements that generate the staggering bonuses, and after a while, the inequity of the engagement distribution can become a distraction.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to distribute the bonus compensation and this place would have the potential to be the best tax company to work for of all time.

5. "Good employer, but some areas for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Work/Life balance is great as long as you have a manager that supports it. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful manager who is very flexible and supportive of us working as we see fit. Company offers great maternity leave and this flexibility comes in really handy when you have kids. Bonus structure is great as long as your team has a decent portfolio of projects. The bonus structure really provides great motivation to work hard and complete projects quicker and more efficiently. Overall, this is a great company to work for. I have been here for a long time and have no plans to look elsewhere.

Cons

Senior management definitely has their favorite managers/teams who get all the good projects, because there is no fair process to distribute new engagements or clients. Teams are only allowed to work in states and industries where they have documented experience, therefore discouraging learning new states or industries. Most teams in this company have extensive Texas experience but all the good projects are given to the same teams (mostly in Dallas) who continue to exceed their benchmarks by tenfold. Employees not in a management role are all assigned a benchmark amount that they are expected to meet in bonuses every year. If you are one of these teams that does not get a good mix of projects, then you don't meet the score they measure you on. This score is used to determine raises, promotions, eligibility to attend training/conferences, etc. This individual score and team benchmark are basically the only thing used to evaluate teams/employees. As you can see, it is very important that teams are given the best chance possible to make this goal instead of pitting teams against each other as is currently done. In order to really meet the mission Brint has in mind, I think we need to get over the politics and work together in the best interest of this company.

Advice to Management

The vision Brint has for the company is great, and he is very driven to succeed in this respect. I think the rest of his senior management needs some good training in people skills and appreciating the employees who do all the actual work to make them all their money.

6. "Very good - lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Very flexible work arrangement. Management treats me as an adult that can make the right decisions for our clients and the company.

Cons

High emphasis on bonuses as part of the compensation package when the bonus computation is skewed to a minority of employees

7. "low salary, but amazing work/life balance"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

Pros

flexible hours-make your own schedule
    lots of training opportunities
    excellent facilites support
    great advancement opportunites
    great understanding in family emergencies
    a ton of vacation/sick time for hourly employees

Cons

lower salary for other positions (but plenty of OT and bonus opportunity)
    benefits aren't great but I would say they are on par with other large firms

8. "Internship"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Ryan really spends the time to ensure you are getting the right type of training. The flexible work environement is really great for full time employees. The north dallas office location is much nicer than most of the other big accounting firms that have to go to downtown dallas for work. As an intern they really make sure to treat you as a regular staff member. I was given the responsibility that a consultant would be given and it was obvious my manager cared about my development.

Cons

Management can forget at times that we are interns, and they need to explain complicated issues with us in a way thats understandable. Pay is not as much as Big four accounting.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are explaining tasks clearly and they 'why' not just the 'how'

9. "Interning with Ryan"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexible work environment (myRyan) is a huge benefit. Even as an hourly intern I can come and go as I need to and even work from home occasionally.

I have had the opportunity to learn about sales and use tax, a niche field in accounting, and to work for a firm who is a frontrunner in this area.

This internship has been a great opportunity to see a very different way that I will be able to use my accounting and finance degrees. I like that I'll have options when I graduate and won't necessarily have to take a public accounting job.

Almost all the employees are very nice and fun to work with.

Cons

I was disapointed with the training I received from my team. I came into this internship knowing nothing about sales and use tax, and haven't felt that I have been taught the basic knowledge very effectively. A lot of my work has been just trial and error to find out if I am doing it correctly.

Advice to Management

Teach the people who will be training new hires how to effectively communicate the basics of what they will be doing every day.

10. "Interning at Ryan"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance. Interns are always working in the office, but the rest of the firm has a completely flexible work schedule that would be nice to have full time. Teams are a great way to specilaize and learn an industry. It also helps to always have people to go to when you need help.

Cons

Interns sometimes get stuck doing the same thing and have to sit there 8 hours a day no matter what.

Advice to Management

Really try to bring the interns in as part of the team. Since I know less about the projects and don't know the team as well sometimes I feel left out. The training is great though. I actually know what I am doing when I get new projects. In my internship at a different company I was confused every day about my work.

Also, the office could use an update. Nicer break rooms with better coffee would be nice. It could be a place that brings everyone out of their offices to interact. I have heard this from many of the younger employees.

11. "Ryan is a success story acheived by the hard work of both the employees and the owners."

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The offer by the company to allow us to telecommute and work on our own schedule is great!
    The base salary is generally competitive.
    There are lots of unique training opportunities.
    All levels of management, while being very critical of work product, make themselves available to the staff. This isn't one of those firms where it is taboo for the lower level staff and management to approach or be approached by the firm principals and management to discuss issues, opinions, and other relevant matters.
    The company's top management frequently requests input from all employees and frequently take action with consideration given to such feedback.
    The firm encourages, but does not require, charitable giving and activities.
    The company has a great IT department, central receptionists, and other great departments to provide the consulting staff with more time to earn.

Cons

The ability by the employee to effectively telecommute and guiltlessly work on his/her own schedule is not always easy to accomplish! While policy permits and encourages it, the workload often makes it impractical. The result can easily be only having a week or two off per year, aside from normally recognized holidays themselves.

Advice to Management

Consider changing the Consultant compensation structure to be a 10-20% higher base salary and remove the fee percentage.
    Consider a second monitor to be a standard piece of equipment, rather than something which requires special approval.