Ryan, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ryan has a flexible work environment that allows it's employees to create a customized approach to work life balance (in 96 reviews)

• We have excellent compensation & benefits, with a very flexible work environment (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 22 reviews)

• bonus structure not transparent enough, too many small teams compete with each other (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Establish a successful career"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are driven, want to work with others that are very bright and motivated and want a successful career, then this is the place for you. At Ryan, the focus is being the best we can at what we do and providing the best service for our clients. This requires hard work, but the hard work pays off. You are recognized for what you do at Ryan, and this includes compensation-wise and in terms of promotions. The icing on the cake is that I feel like I can have the best of both worlds – work towards a high-powered, successful career while also having the flexibility to work remotely when needed thanks to MyRyan.

Cons

There are a number of administrative obligations that can get tedious, but Management has been working hard to work on these.

Advice to Management

Please continue to ask us to provide you our feedback. You do a great job of listening to what your employees tell you and then acting on it!

"Horrible work environment - Got out after 2 years"

Former Employee - Tax Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Tax Consultant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great bonus structure but no controls or ways to ensure that discrimination doesn't occur

Cons

Bonus structure based on management discretion so bonus can be allocated to favorites even if the other employees didn't charge any time to the project. Part of the annual review is based on the bonuses that managers decide to allocate.

HR very slow to respond to serious issues and complaints ignored even when proof of managment/employee relationships that affect projects and partiality.

Expect to go to Dallas for annual meetings where Brint will brag about his million dollar house then turn around and request that all employees donate to his PAC directly out of their paychecks

Be prepared to attach yourself to a senior manager and hope that they are the favorite of the principal. Principals assign work to favorites and not necessarily the person that needs work or that even brought the project in.

Make sure you document your work as you can expect managers and above to take credit for your work without any recognization

Advice to Management

Managers should be up front about the bonus allocations and ensure that only the employees that worked on the projects should receive a bonus. Additionally, the firm should stick by their policy on relationships and prevent people in relationships or family from reporting directly to each other.

HR should properly address concerns of employees.

"Terrible place to launch a career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My Ryan although it is a bit of a joke when you're expected to work 24/7

Cons

Employees are overworked. Expectation is you are available nights and weekends- no work life balance whatsoever. Constantly harassed to complete "best place to work" surveys.

Advice to Management

Focus on actually becoming a great place to work not winning empty awards

"Honest Review of Consultant Position in Dallas"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potential to make decent amount of money
    Average starting salary
    Attached to Galleria Mall
    Gave me a chance being my first job out of college
    Got Merit based raise within first 6 months

Cons

Lack of training: 1 week orientation (Snorefest) and 1 week technical skills where they do not teach anything you actually need to learn

SUT is all out of Access Databases that run incredibly slow and constantly crash and lose your work

Felt I could never telecommute

Worked 50 hrs a week every week and was made to feel guilty if I left before 6pm or asked for time off

SUT review consists of looking at hundreds of invoices per day and doing data entry

Benefits are absolutely terrible 25% 401k match (comes 9 months after year end) with terrible high cost poor return fund choices

Expensive but poor quality health insurance

Was expected to be available Mon-Fri 7am-7pm and expected to work on weekends

Incredibly high work load on my team that never ended

Bonuses could be good but minimum 16 months after you start before see first bonus

Work is not mentally stimulating at all a trained monkey could do most of the work

Oh and the great reviews come from people HR hand selects to send evaluations too. They only pick people that absolutely love it to review company. The 95% of depressed drones never get the email to review the company online or take internal surveys.

Brint Ryan is a arrogant self righteous man that has little man syndrome

I got the heck out of here as fast as I could. Word of advice do not work here and if ryan the only job offer you have make sure it is not in the dallas office.

Advice to Management

I would never work in this industry again because of Ryan.

I have switched into an Financial Analyst role. Things I have learned since then:
    I make 20% more than I did with salary + bonus at Ryan working 40 hrs/week
    current company 100% subsidizes my healthcare and provides better insurance
    I get 100% match on 401k offerings matched immediately and a full range of funds
    Coworkers are not depressed drones
    Have work life balance
    Have mentally stimulating work and quicker opportunities for advancement

"Company who like to apply for accolades(best company to work ...) as way hiding their shortfalls and high turnover."

Former Employee - Manager Or Above
    Former Employee - Manager Or Above

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is getting into the 21st century and providing employees more and better learning courses and various ways to recognize employees. Company is the best as sales and use tax projects an should not veer away from their area of expertise.

Cons

Lack of competent directors and principals with necessary project management skills in new service lines in the Federal area. Zero work life balance. MyRyan does not exist for most employees and not consistent across the board. Beware of the theory that you were hired because you are the best of the best, you are hired due to high turnover and the service line was desperate to find someone. Complete client deliverables are provided the client 3 to 6 months after a tax filing and ethics does not play a factor in the work product. Being on both the client side and consulting side, I would be wary of using Ryan for anything other than sale and property tax projects. Principals are not in agreement as to the project status reports and the value to the client. High turnover, I was looking for a job two weeks after I started this role and extremely happy I have my work life balance back and do not let Ryan fool you that it is work life success.

Advice to Management

I cannot provide much advice as I understand many people who have been at Ryan have provided advice but to no avail. The best advice is to focus on your core practice of sales and use tax and let the big boy firms handle the federal services.

6. "Too political"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

It's good for a person right out of school because you learn a good deal about the consulting side of the tax business. It's nice for learning audit process, etc. that you will be able to take with you to a better opportunity.

Cons

It's incredibly political and if you're not in the Dallas office, you're a nobody. Egos dominate the culture, so much so that you're better off hiding than you are raising your hand to do more work. They make a big deal of their "flexible work place" but in truth, if you take a vacation you will come back to judgmental looks and backhanded comments. Advancement seems to come from beating someone else down far more than from merit or hard work.

Ryan is also quite fond of lawsuits against clients and against other firms. When you go interview other places, they will be a bit wary of you with that on your resume. It's not the end of the world, because they will also assume you have good industry knowledge. However, just be cognizant of the possibility that someone at a different firm will have had a bad experience with Ryan.

If you end up on a good team who makes the company alot of money and you get big bonus checks all the time, then it's great (presumably). But if you end up on the other kind of team, which is more likely, your time at Ryan is done before it begins, for all intents and purposes. Really, the most important day at your time with the company is the day they assign you to your team when they hire you. Something you have zero control over. You will be viewed almost instantly as a burden and they will push you out one way or another.

Advice to Management

Improve staff retention by incorporating an advancement system that involves more than simple luck.

"over worked with my ryan, good company for a starter"

Former Employee - Sales and Use Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales and Use Consultant

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good compensation and company culture.

Cons

over worked with my ryan application. yes you can work where ever you want to make your job done but that means you will work 55+ hours a week! I rather work full time with over time pay.

"Poor SR Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MYRYAN program
    The CEO of the company has a vision ..

Cons

Poor Leadership
    Underdeveloped staff
    Divided offices between Buckhead and Atlanta

Advice to Management

Develop better leadership skills
    Communicate!!
    People are not tools to step on to get to the TOP!

"MyRyan is a joke"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brint Ryan is a great leader. Excellent concept with MyRyan.

Cons

Majority of the Principals don't believe in MyRyan. Hiring the best of the best is non-existence. College education is not a necessity for hiring or for promotion.

Advice to Management

MyRyan needs to be consistent throughout the firm. Please hire people with college education or at least basic math and computer skills.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses (when you get a decent one)
    Promotions twice a year
    For a first job it’s a good way to get your foot in the door.

Cons

I sat here for a good amount of time trying think of positive things to say about my experience working at Ryan, but I could only come up with a few. The bad certainly outweighed the good. For one, don’t be fooled by MyRyan. They lured me into my position thinking I had the power to make my own schedule as long as I get my work done. This is only true if you are lucky to get a manager who actually is okay with this ideology. I was not. I worked there for over a year and only got the opportunity to work at home twice. When I took vacation for a few days I still received emails. It was like you never had a vacation. We received emails late at night, on the weekends, you name it. Needless to say, I was not very happy and basically felt trapped there. If I left work at 5:00 PM, it was looked down upon by not only my manager but my co-workers as well. It wasn’t as if I was leaving without doing my work. I did my job and kept up the pace, but at Ryan the work is never done. I could have stayed until 9, but really, there is always something else to do so it was always hung over my head if I didn’t stay until 6:30 every night.

In terms of job duties, they are pretty mundane. I got tired of doing the same thing over and over again. I found it really weird that the company always pushed us to fill out surveys to win awards… and somehow they have a history of winning. With all the turnover I saw there, I’m not sure if those surveys were filled out genuinely or not.

Advice to Management

Make sure that projects are evenly dispersed so that the chance for a bonus is comparable to all.