Ryan, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • The work environment was difficult to support a work-life balance (in 92 reviews)

• They go out of their way to make accommodations for people with a flexible work environment that is truly unique (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 21 reviews)

• bonus structure not transparent enough, too many small teams compete with each other (in 19 reviews)

"Property Tax Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC as an intern

Pros

Schedule was very flexible and nice to work from home.

Cons

People were not friendly at all. The management did not seem to care at all about the employees. A long summer. Recruiting has a lot of work to do. It took seven months to finally get the offer letter.

"Work Life"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Work - Life balance and unlimited PTO. These two things were a big deal to me and I think they are still the positives for the company even though these things are different from team to team.

Cons

Ryan LLC had a lot of hidden bullying, by far one of the worst experiences at a company that I've ever had. Each team is different and with that they carry their own drama and politics. Across multiple teams and multiple managers, work place bullying was present. It seemed to be hidden well enough when it came to upper level management and directors. I was bullied out of my job there, I had been there less than six months because that's how long I lasted. I wasn't picking things up as fast as they wanted but in my defense, I really wasn't being taught. 6 months is pretty short to pick things up like a regular staff member. There was a lot of team gossip but because I was new and not known well among the team, there was a lot of whispering and gossip about me, I could even hear it one cube over. Towards the end of my employment, my boss wanted to me adhere to his schedule. He wanted me to aim to work 50-55 hrs a week and during his hours. The one thing the entire company brags about is work-life balance and freedom. But to me that is beyond false, as the issues you deal with from team to team, these benefits don't really carry through.

Advice to Management

Please set standards that can actually be met by new employees, and train management to treat their employees better when they're trying to learn something new. I highly suggest you set a workplace bullying seminar so employees have a place to go to report these issues and management understands what bullying actually is.

"Big plans with poor implementation"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company had been newly acquired and had been plans for growth. Management pitched great opportunities for career growth in both interviews.

Cons

Poor management. Little to no training. Must have a business degree to advance.

Advice to Management

When you limit your employees ability to promote based on having a'business' degree or not, you are setting yourself up for failure. Further, having people who do NOT have the degree and skill set that you desire, train those who do is creating a real opportunity for sabotage.

"Favorites are given priority"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job was a little laid back at times. Work was not as stressful as other similar positions (other admins, exc. assistants).

Cons

Manager had favorites and it was obvious, didn't bother hiding it. Group of 5 who worked in same dept. A co-worker once through the company badge at our desk and stormed off. We told manager and nothing was done. You had to tip toe around certain people and or agree to everyone else's opinions other wise you were the black sheep of you're work group. 2 people left after I left because work got too negative to stay.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with the same respect!

6. "Desktop Support Hell"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Ryan, LLC as a contractor

Pros

one two three four five

Cons

Fraternity atmosphere - you're either in or out.
    Worst environment I've ever worked in.
    Everyone is miserable, but too scared to admit it.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring kids.

"Company is going downhill."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule - if your team allows it.

Cons

- They company will throw survey after survey at you to give your opinion of the company, but the CEO will openly dismiss the negative reviews on this site. If you're not going to take this feedback, stop asking for it.
    - Very low pay and raises.
    - Asked the unhappy employees to take a check and leave - instead of actually addressing the underlining problems.
    - Most management is a joke. They are so "busy" they don't see a lot of the day to day problems they create.
    - We now have monthly phone call conferences where very little important information is given by the CEO and others take the time to a-- kiss. Waste of time.
    - Got rid of the Christmas parties to save money - as if management doesn't have enough.

Advice to Management

While you may think you're growing by making more money each year, the company is going downhill. Throwing a bonus at your employees will not solve your problems. Stop being so arrogant; take in these negative reviews and adjust accordingly.

"Bring Back Meritocracy!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like many reviews state if you get put on a high performing team you will make decent bonuses, however it really depends on luck for what team you end up on. The employees are hard working and are willing to help each other out.

Cons

The main issue with this company is mid to upper management. Employees that were great at the technical aspects of the non-management positions were promoted to management, however they lack the skill set to be managers. These managers are kept because they at the end of the day bring in the money. This may work in the short term but eventually enough people will know that working for Ryan is not best for their career or professional growth because the managers don't know how to manage their teams or develop employee skills effectively.

To resolve the currently dissatisfied employees, the CEO offered anyone not happy to work for Ryan the opportunity to leave with double severance in October 2016. 53 employees took him up on his offer or about 3% of their US employees. This is a fact they don't advertise when they are touting Ryan as a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Mr. Ryan throwing money at your problems does not solve them. Your company should operate on trust, honesty, hard work, and the right skill sets. As of right now your company operates on greed.

Although it might hurt your bottom line in the short term, it is time to look at cutting out bad management from the company. Ryan should operate as a continuous meritocracy as it once did. Now that the company has reached a mid size level company those that took the company there are resting on their laurels and promoting those loyal to them even if they don't have the skill set for the job.

"Toxic"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the office are wonderful people. Flexibility of work schedule.

Cons

Extremely low/non-existent morale. Employees are not empowered. Management is unprofessional and unapproachable. I worked for a manager who bullies their entire team. My manager assaulted me during a meeting in front of another co-worker. My manager supplemented an employee's bonus by writing a personal check. When candidates would come in to interview, the managing principal would say they didn't need to talk to the candidate because they already saw what they looked like.

Advice to Management

You may have eliminated many unhappy employees by asking them to come forward and leave voluntarily, however it does not address the complacent, unengaged managers who are coasting on their staff's hard work and working 20 hours a week.

"Awful Experience - get out while you can!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If put on a high-revenue team, you can make great money.

Cons

First off - let me start by saying how most of these "great reviews" aren't legitimate. If you scroll through you'l notice that the negative reviews are flagged as "Helpful" 10x more than these "great reviews. Funny...isn't it?

I'll start by saying that Brint Ryan is an extremely arrogant and self-absorbed person. I'm sure almost any employee can attest to this. From his boastful speeches about his giant house/accomplishments, etc to the fact that the growth of the company is celebrated by honoring HIM (what about your employees?!?!) The company is only going downhill, as evident by the increased employee turnover (even senior partners) as well as the fact that he now offers "incentive" packages for anyone that thinks Ryan isn't a "great place to work. HA I wish this existed when I still worked there! Would've been out in a heartbeat. If a CEO can't learn to change this top-down company structure, good luck surviving (or rather, being successful).

Next...COMPLETE lack of company culture! We all laughed about how bad it was when I worked there. From the establishment of the "culture council" to Ryan PRIDE...it still lacked so much. Probably because senior management is so stuck in their old ways. No company morale, nothing.

Moving on...I will say I was fortunate enough to be on a high-revenue producing team, but I cannot say the same for everyone at the company. As many other people have said...it all depends on the luck of the draw. You're already making below industry average, so if you lack bonuses, then good luck getting anywhere in this company. It's a total niche business so if you think you should get out, do it before it's too late.

What else...hmm. MyRyan is completely depended on the manager, as much as good ole Brint liked to brag about how its so commonly used. Too much catty-ness. Never been in such a "high-school" like environment where people talked behind each others backs constantly. I think I was even the worst version of myself there. Brint forces you to fill out all these surveys with tons of annoying emails - it's far from the Best Place to Work, don't kid yourself.

TL/DR....DON'T WORK HERE! There's a reason everyone leaves and that the Big 4 just laugh. Get out while you can.

Advice to Management

Work on your company culture and structure. Stop ignoring feedback through Glassdoor through mockery (aka 2015 Annual Firm Mtg) and 5-star ratings that are hiding the real problems your company has.

"Lacks Diversity, MyRyan is Not All What it's Suppose to Be"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ryan, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

Nice to telecommute and work remotely.

Cons

MyRyan Work-Life Balance does not serve all employees; lacks inclusiveness and diversity. Not a people oriented work place. Tax work is stressful and hours are long. Hard work gets you little recognition unless you're favored. Company doesn't do enough nor does management to ensure employees work is evenly distributed and ignore employee burn out. Turnover is constant unless you fix this ongoing problem.

Advice to Management

CEO self absorbed over recognition awards and how high the company ranks. God forbid if there is negative feedback. Makes an example of employees and drags you thru the mud if you don't conform. Forced attendance to these grandiose annual meetings is a waste of time and money. All Employees deserve respect and recognition not just the select few who get there crystal trophy and huge bonus displayed up on the screen. Make it equitable for everyone because we all contribute to the company.

Ryan, LLC Response

Dec 7, 2016 – Ryan, LLC

Thank you for your comments. We are not sure what you mean by "inclusiveness and diversity." myRyan is designed to be implemented at the manager level. Not all groups and all people will be able to ... More