Ryan, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • The work environment was difficult to support a work-life balance (in 92 reviews)

• They go out of their way to make accommodations for people with a flexible work environment that is truly unique (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 21 reviews)

• bonus structure not transparent enough, too many small teams compete with each other (in 19 reviews)

"Flexibility is great, but that's not all a job should have"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

-Most directors will allow you to work from home at least some of the time.
    -Autonomy to do your work at your pace and your time as long as completed by deadlines.

Cons

-Not being rewarded by a job well done. Sometimes it feels like people are promoted because of how long they have been at Ryan and not how well they do their job.
    -Expectations are set high for incentive programs and the follow through rarely matches.
    -The base salary is FAR below that of comparable positions in the market place.

"Stuffy"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, skilled workforce, training

Cons

Stuffy, smug, judgmental, way too image conscious, team member competition rather than cooperation.

Advice to Management

We aren't the big 4 so stop acting like we are. We are better than that. Promote team cooperation. Stop the Principal Pyramid.

3. "Good place; Could get better or worst."

Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides variety of job opportunities/Open to new initiatives,
    Growing workplace,
    Work life balance (flexible login hours, work from home, flexible transportation, good leave, holiday policy),
    Among great places to work internationally and aspiring to be one in India.
    and a lot more.

Cons

Even though the our CEO, other top level management and Sr. Director (India) strives to make this a great place to work, this doesn't seem to be the case with mid-level management (in India). Most of them look uninspiring and they are also kind of biased in selections/promotions.
    Some mid-level managers take up the same old initiatives (of course for promotions), which either eats up employees time or causes trouble to them.
    Examples:
    Unnecessary meetings; Time consuming presentations; Excessive admiration at one's own work.
    The latest of this list is something called as Work station utilization. This is all about the use of a desk by two individuals by logging in two different times, which basically means, some employees should either pitch in very early in the day and some employees pitch in evening and work late in the night. This is of course a great initiative in saving the facility costs but very disturbing to the employees in work life balance.
    Note I mentioned ‘Work life balance’ in my pros, but with this initiative, this pro is going to history. This would force employees to adapt unusual sleep, food and health routines. This is just opposite to myRyan policy, which emphasizes on work life balance with employee accountability. It may also impact company ambition to sustain in the great places to work (in India).

Advice to Management

For growth, I think the Indian management should buy in US’s confidence for more work and initiatives, which subsequently helps in growth of India office. I think making this petty saving would help the organization to the 1$ billion mark.

"Great place to wok"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Hyderabad (India)

Pros

Transparent Management, Wok life balance

Cons

Just Hike and Salary else good

"Director"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MyRyan culture allows for great work/life balance.

Cons

Leadership changes directions all the time to benefit themselves.

"Financial Planning Analyst"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging atmosphere. In addition, there was unlimited PTO. Opportunity to advance.

Cons

Understaffed, leaving most of the work to be dispersed and pile up among the associates.

Advice to Management

Hire the correct people, and make sure to screen for technical competencies in order to achieve the best fit for a position.

"OK"

Pros

Bonuses were nice, but not all teams have good bonuses.

Cons

You have to get lucky with managers, some are really good managers, other are poor leaders.

Ryan, LLC Response

Dec 7, 2016 – Ryan, LLC

Thank you for your comments. Ryan, as any work environment, has managers of varying skills. What we believe separates us from other places to work, is our executive commitment to raising the ... More

9. "Rose Colored Lenses can wear off"

Pros

Bonuses are nice if get solid projects. Can be hard to get bonuses if you aren't placed in a great team.

Cons

On call at all times. myRyan can be a myth with some managers and not all that practical.

Advice to Management

Keep up the solid work and remember where you came from if you started from the bottom.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Tax Consultant
    Former Employee - Tax Consultant

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

-The myRyan was good to be able to utilize from time to time. I could let my manager know I would be in a little later because of an appointment or errand. I could take a longer lunch and stay later as long as I was getting my work done.
    -My teammates were very nice and helpful in working together to meet deadlines, but I can't say that is the experience across the board.
    -My manager tried to find projects that could generate revenue and bonuses
    -The company collects and matches money for local charities.
    -Gym membership reimbursement was solid

Cons

-Certain SUT teams tended to specialize in industries (oil and gas, medical, manufacturing, etc.) and when you're hired you're assigned to a team based on whichever team had the longest requisition open without any input from you as to whether that's a team you'd want to be on. You become narrowly specialized in that area working on those projects. I had to leave before I became too niche and wouldn't be able to find work in something other than a subset of sales tax.
    -As a consultant a lot of your day to day tasks are reviewing invoices and data entry. I had to regularly call vendors and ask for invoices and contracts. I'm not saying I'm above doing that, but it gets tedious and tiring.
    -You're expected to bill at least 40 hours a week, even though they will say you're not, but your manager will imply that you're making the team look bad even if you're efficient at your assignments or if there was a lack of projects to work on for the past week.
    -We're supposed to be motivated by bonuses, but those good bonuses are highly dependent on the projects the principals assign to your team. So, there's a lot of favoritism and if you're not on the right team a consultant working the same 40-50 hours is going to be making a LOT more than you by virtue of being hired at the right time and assigned to the right team, not because they're more skilled/knowledgable than you.
    -The order of being paid your bonus is: after all the bureaucracy with the State the client finally gets a check in the mail from the State. Then Ryan invoices the client, who then has 30 days to pay the invoice. Assuming the client pays on time (not always the case) then if they don't pay towards the beginning of the calendar month you will have to wait until the 30th of the following month to finally have it hit your paycheck.
    -It took me about a year and a half to get a bonus that even made my direct deposit noticeably different. HR doesn't tell you that when they're negotiating your below-industry salary. They push the wonders of bonuses without telling you that the 3% bonus is often split with lots of people.
    -Also, the non-stated PTO is weird. There should be a floor listed where it's stated that as a first year you should be taking at least 10 days off. Otherwise, you're never sure if your taking too much time off or not enough as compared to other consultants on other teams.
    -401k took a long time to be vested and the match contribution was very minimal
    -The company's odd way of trying to save money. Penny wise-pound foolish with their cell-phone reimbursement policy. My bill got kicked back multiple times and I had to explain my family share plan to 3 different staff in India all over something like $5 they said I over-calculated before they conceded I was right.
    -They didn't do an annual firm meeting which was fine since it probably is a huge waste of money. However, the one I did attend had the CEO making fun of the Glassdoor reviews as being petty and tried to make light of the real grievances people had when there was some truth that could have been pulled.
    -The exit interviews don't allow for honest feedback since it would be awkward to lay it all out with my name attached to it.

Advice to Management

Look into paying consultants in a more equitable way across the board. Bonuses based on the projects that they are forced to work on by their manager/principal leads to some consultants making a significant amount more than others. My manager was nice and tried to accommodate myRyan, but the policy is vague so try and get all managers/staff on the same page as to what it tangibly is supposed to be. The RyanPRIDE system was a good way to recognize people so keep that up.

11. "HR Generlist"

Pros

nice working environment and people

Cons

no benefits, no social events, no bonuses