Ryan, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated May 9, 2017

Pros
  • The work environment was difficult to support a work-life balance (in 92 reviews)

• They go out of their way to make accommodations for people with a flexible work environment that is truly unique (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 21 reviews)

• bonus structure not transparent enough, too many small teams compete with each other (in 19 reviews)

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefit package. myRyan flexible schedule can't be beat.

Cons

Everything revolves around the Dallas headquarters office.

Advice to Management

Some management choices are head slappers. It is difficult to see why an individual with no knowledge or experience in a certain area would be the choice to manage that area. It doesn't seem to be working well.

2. "Work-Life"

Current Employee - Consultant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to many different projects/engagements with the ability to learn skills on the fly.

Cons

Poor communication and structure at times.

Advice to Management

More in-depth training with less ambiguous roles and structure.

"Top-Heavy, Revenue-Hungry, Going Down"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

There is a relatively flexible work environment, but don't be dooped by recruitin. You're going to have to put in some major hours, especially at the onset. Additionally, the benefits and base pay are pretty good, but not industry leaders by any stretch of the imagination.

Cons

I used to love this company. I was so proud to work here. Now I just feel completely disillusioned about the future. We made it to Fortunes top companies, but I bet it's just a flash in the pan. The company is only focused on revenue. Client satisfaction and leadership are going down the drain. The principal group is a joke. All they care about are selling new projects, not reviewing or teaching. The CEO is a hypocrit. He preaches that we should see clients at least every 6 months, but I'm on some of his active accounts he hasn't visited in years, and not for a lack of trying to get him there. There is a very strong do as I say and not as I do attitude among senior management. Staff is just cranking out projects to try and meet ridiculous benchmarks and screw ups are happening over and over. I don't expect I'll be here much longer, and I don't anticipate I'll work with Ryan after I leave.

Advice to Management

Scratch it and start over. The model doesn't work anymore. The team structure doesn't work anymore. The old dogs sitting on clients and road blocking your bright, enthusiastic principals doesn't work anymore. The BD guys selling projects for the sake of selling (ie. Sales tax reviews for mall kiosks) doesn't work anymore

"Good upside potential if you can connect with the right Principals"

Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Solid opportunity to make $$$ if you can connect to the right Principals and BD's.
    -There is great freedom and flexibility of schedule with the highly touted MyRyan program (you will love reading the daily emails from HR about another award the program just won).
    -You can come and go as you please.
    -Growth leads to opportunity if you are willing to put in the time and travel. If you desire to spend as little time at home as possible this is the place to do it.
    -There are many good people here you just need to have the luck to land in a spot where you can work with them.

Cons

-Ego
    -Ego
    -Did I mention ego? Ryan is a place led by management that loves to pat themselves on the back. Some Principals have the management skills of a buffalo. Their inability to connect with normal people is astounding. Condescension and selfishness rules their day. Not all are like this but the ones that are ruin it for everyone.
    -Lousy base salary.
    -Incessant reporting/forecasting and meetings about reporting/forecasting take away the Entrepreneurial atmosphere that led to the growth of the company. When you struggle connecting with people, you manage the numbers. They love to manage the numbers. It truly is the only thing that matters.
    -The post on here that recommends that Ryan should hire "more people like me" says all that needs to be said about the company. If you believe the world revolves around you, then you may find a home here.

Advice to Management

Far be it from me to give advice. No one can fault the growth that the firm has seen over it's 20+ year history. The path ahead gets tougher as the road to $1B is a tougher stretch than the road to $400MM was. You will need to manage more than numbers to get there.

"Mostly good, some very bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to make your mark and increase your knowledge and skills. MyRyan is great if you need a bit of work/life flexibility.

Bonus plan can be very good if you are in the right practice and on the right engagements.

Cons

There are some leaders that should not be allowed to have any staff interaction as they lack leadership, common courtesy, and most basic of interpersonal business skills.

One leader is even allowed to remain despite numerous harassment incidents at multiple firms.

Advice to Management

Clean house of personalities that drag down reputation. Money isn't everything and it is certainly not enough upon which to risk a great reputation.

7. "Good company if you like tax"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Work life balance, lucrative bonuses if you get on the right team, client services

Cons

Work is mundane and boring, lots of data entry and invoice pulling

"Consulting"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training program, CEO who truly walks the talk,diversified experience to be gained and excellent flex time program in theory.

Cons

Say they value experienced hires but then want to mold them into what they already have, people are promoted base on skill sets not managerial skills which creates principals and managers who have great consulting skills but horrible people skills, low pay for teams not in Dallas, need a better way of assigning reviews and the flex time creates a sense of never being off the clock.

Advice to Management

Realize just because someone knows policies and procedures and brings in good results does not necessarily mean they will be a good manager. Too many principals and managers truly lack good people skills.

9. "Good place to get a start"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedules. Work was not charge hour focused but just getting the work done. Not a lot of overtime like other public accounting firms. Team oriented so hopefully you get along with your team.

Cons

Relatively small office in LA. If you don't like your team there is a lot of politics to switching teams similar to most places.

10. "Good work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work/life balance was great. I got to work from home all the time.

Cons

There was not room for growth and the people were not very nice. You didn't feel like you were a part of anything.

"Great place to start."

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of freedom, flexible work schedule. Worked at home whenever I wanted. Even allowed me to live out-of-state and still excel at my job. Good place to acquire skills to break into a big four firm.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up. Especially compared to other companies, there is not a lot of fostering of talent. Little to no client interaction at a low level.

Advice to Management

Same response from superiors regardless of whether engagement level is high or low. Without room to grow (or at least to appearance of room to grow), there isn't a lot of motivation to be ambitious. The firm could be missing out on many rising professionals for this reason. Although maybe that doesn't matter, since the firm has a reputation internally for not promoting from within.