Ryan, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated September 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ryan has a flexible work environment that allows it's employees to create a customized approach to work life balance (in 96 reviews)

• We have excellent compensation & benefits, with a very flexible work environment (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 22 reviews)

• bonus structure not transparent enough, too many small teams compete with each other (in 20 reviews)

"Great vacation policy, but greedy top management"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The vacation policy is phenomenal! Very flexible and accommodating.
    The salary is good.

Cons

-Bonuses and awards are only for the very high producers. There is an annual meeting to dole out awards. The same groups tend to win each year, leaving the majority of employees to feel shamed and left out.
    -I felt deceived when I departed. I was told I would receive my departure payment at the end of the month in which I departed; however, the money due to me was not received until 2.5 months later and put me in financial difficulty. I felt quite deceived.
    -I didn't have consistent work, but when I did, I worked 65+ hours per week, and often worked 7 days a week. It was horrible and I didn't see family for weeks at a time.
    -The 401(k) matching was very minimal at best. It was quite disappointing.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with respect, and be thankful to all employees, not only those at the top levels of income production.

"Do not make the mistake of working here"

Current Employee - Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people that work here are cool.

Cons

The staff is treated like resources and not valued at all. Pay is below average for this industry. My managers don't seem to have had any management training. My department is required to be in the office at a certain time while others do not. Management plays favorites. Most people here are looking or interviewing for another job. I would not recommend someone for a job here.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites and treat employees better.

"Great company but inconsistent policy"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Property Tax
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Property Tax

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership is hands on and involved. Policies are great in theory. Coworkers and peers are all professional and great at their specialties. Benefits are what would be expected from a company of this size in finance industry.

Cons

MyRyan is a great program in theory and is used extensively during recruiting and marketing the company, but is not carried out by every office and every principal. Sure, the offices near our CEO probably abide by the policy, but other offices are not the same. MyRyan is only mainly for managers and is "earned". MyRyan is the policy that is supposed to allow employees to work where and when they want focusing on results not hours worked, but depending on the office you might as well forget it exists. We are expected to work 8 hours a day at minimum and our careers will suffer if we think about using MyRyan before becoming a manager or higher. It is a little disheartening that recruiters market this great policy but it is not accepted throughout the entire company. Our CEO repeatedly mentions it on our monthly calls, but principals must ignore it and do as they please. There is also no way for employees to currently submit anonymous issues to HR. There is forum for employees to submit ideas and also where employees can submit serious legal problems (sexual harassment, etc) but no forum where we can express or comment on how managers are doing. Wish there was a way to tell HR or leadership about our concerns or that company policy is not being followed or carried out.

Advice to Management

Develop a way for anonymous employee feedback. Train managers and principals on corporate policy and have the HR team actively involved in ensuring employees are treated fairly and that corporate policies are being followed. Love the leadership and the company, but it is sad that rogue offices in large service lines are not implementing CEO directives and other corporate policies. Hard to say we are the best and compete with other tax companies when their offices actually represent the company and what it stands for.

4. "Analyst"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work and amigable co-workers. We are able to work from home.

Cons

Constantly working overtime especially during busy season but I guess that's just the nature of the business.

"No respect or consideration for long-term employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pros are all in the past.

Cons

Bonuses promised but not paid after months of excuses from senior leader.

Refusal to allow time off after 10 years of service.

No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Just be nice. Follow the golden rule.

"Sr Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My Ryan gives you flexibility to adjust your work schedule.

Cons

Management does not care about the people below them. Very unappreciative and discouraging work environment.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to all of your employees because even non management can give you insight you daily issues.

"Smoke and Mirrors"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

The MyRyan unlimited paid time off system can allow you to take off more days than you would at other companies. This mostly only applies if you are an underperformer because if you are a good worker you will be expected to work all the time. To be fair they do reimburse some of the gym membership, cell phone, transit etc.

Cons

Ryan boasts about having a great work/life balance "work when you want where you want". If it sounds too good to be true than it usually is. Yes, some people will be able to work at home if you have a manager that accepts MyRyan but you will also be expected to answer emails and get work done at all times of day/night/holidays and expect to hear about it if you don't answer immediately.

The "bonuses" for the most part are a complete joke. Most of the teams outside of Dallas get the "dog" projects which drag on forever and barely if ever pay out anything significant. The upper management loves to let everyone know about one manager/team that brought in a very large fee and got big bonuses. Guess what? This is a VERY small group and usually is complete luck,being in Dallas and being in good with certain Partners. The majority of the teams are stuck with a bunch of small insignificant projects and expected to somehow turn tin into gold to hit the ridiculous benchmarks.

It should also be mentioned that below manager the entire staff bonus SPLITS 3% of the fee! You can do the math if you are familiar with the typical fees in this industry and say on average 3-4 people on a project how generous! But oh let's not forget that one oil and gas team brought in millions so that staff got good bonuses and only talk about that.

Advice to Management

Stop giving new hires unreal expectations of what they will earn with this system. You should probably let them know that many of your employees are making lower than the base salary at other firms even with the bonuses.

"Be aware!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environments, average pay, decent benefits.

Cons

They promise the world and deliver very little. Management of company is non-existent. You're pretty much on your own. Culture is geared towards individuals rather than team. CEO is responsible for that. He also expects you to go after clients who are late with their payment, but he never pays his vendors on time. People are leaving on a regular basis, despite a promise of a profit sharing bonus payout that has now been delayed three times. (by design). Unless your in the Ryan "Club" you can forget about significant bonuses. Base salaries are not up to market standards , at least in the organization I'm in. No rhyme or reason as to how the work is allocated. Revenue benchmarks are way above realistic. No clear roles as there is much duplication of efforts in my organization.

Advice to Management

Get a professional consultant to come in and reorganize this company and convince the CEO to get out of the way.

9. "Work life balance is what sets Ryan apart."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC (Less than a year)

Pros

- People
    - Company growth
    - Strong desire to help clients
    - Work life balance

Cons

- Management can at times have unrealistic expectations
    - At times, there can be a lack of understanding as to which clients are best for the specific departments.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, as they are the ones on the ground making sure work gets done.

10. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Very good work life balance

Cons

Senior management can take some time to institute new changes