Ryan, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated September 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ryan has a flexible work environment that allows it's employees to create a customized approach to work life balance (in 96 reviews)

• We have excellent compensation & benefits, with a very flexible work environment (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 22 reviews)

• bonus structure not transparent enough, too many small teams compete with each other (in 20 reviews)

"A Mixed Bag"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My Ryan

Commitment to client satisfaction

Cons

Strongly suggesting employees to create positive reviews on Glassdoor and surveys. The overwhelming positive reviews on the site at times felt like a demonstration of loyalty to management.

Company is focused on results, which can be good, but at times at the expense of others. Ryan can be a difficult environment for collaboration as the system is designed for conflict rather than cooperation.

Lack of experienced managers created a void, with good people moving on leaving less capable leaders in place to protect their turf.

A regional firm that wants to be a national player, but stuck in a very conservative mindset reminiscent of the 1950's. The company has made an effort to promote and support women, but not much else.

Politically conservative and often appeals to employees to donate to the Ryanpac. The donation is suggested, but they do keep track and participation is strongly encouraged. It can be awkward when the PAC supports politicians that are in violation of one's values.

Advice to Management

Ryan is not a small company any longer, stop thinking like one.

"Run while you can!"

Pros

Flex schedule, decent bonus structure for managers and above, the Principal you work for is key as they can. make or break your career at Ryan

Cons

Principals (partners) all think their projects are important and are constantly hounding managers for updates, "dog" projects are not distributed evenly, bonus structure is a joke for staff, salary is way below market especially in cities that are not in Texas, staff can cause problems for managers and it is difficult to fire people due to the need for "bodies" not great staff, managers never get PTO as they are always on call, burn out is rampant for managers, doing extra work for no money so team resources are taken up, projects with high bonus go to the same teams, working during holidays is normal for managers, the President thinks only of himself and not the entire firm, his new "incentive" is a joke since it is based on how much is brought in during the end of the year by teams and it includes Principals who already get paid significantly more than everyone at the firm, sleep is nonexistent if you have pushy Principals, firm stigma is terrible. I could go on and on, but just be wary of something that seems to good to be true.

Advice to Management

Don't disregard comments on Glass door, pay better salaries, keep the people who matter, and learn from your mistakes so you don't make the same ones over and over again.

"Cracks beginning to show in the foundation"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The MyRyan Program
    - Work Autonomy
    - This is a great company for new accountants trying to get a great name on the resume. The company is highly respected in the accounting world and it will do wonders for your resume and future career progression.

Cons

****** Please note: Beginning in August 2016, Ryan has asked their employees to go onto Glassdoor to submit good reviews to bump the company average. They were then asked to submit the screenshots to show their "commitment". So please be aware of that as you go through the reviews submitted during this time period. ******

Inexperienced and dangerously-promoted managers and leaders. I was a senior member of a group for nearly two years. One leader had no experience in our field. They have burned and churned through three (3) complete teams in the past 3-4 years. Upon sharing feedback with leader, no visible signs of understanding or change in behavior would occur. When these issues were elevated to Upper Leadership, nothing was done. Another leader on the team, with no management experience, would constantly have employees in tears due to inappropriate conversations and interactions. Employee morale in pur department was always very low.

Most recently, the Top 3 positions in our division have left. The function is broken and in-need of a complete reset.

The company is still ran like a mom and pop with 25 employees. EVERY purchase, even office supplies , has to be personally approved by the top so purchase orders will sit for months.

The "cowboy" way of running the company by calling out changes on the fly during conference calls is not effective.

Advice to Management

The Firm's infrastructure is completely broken and needs an overhaul. It's time to be out with the old and in with the new in regards to Leadership.

Learn to run the Firm like a 2,000+ person organization vs. a 25-person start up.

Promote those into leadership that possess those skills for leadership.

"Don't Buy the Hype"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a tax professional whose sole goal in life is to make as much money as possible, regardless of what you have to sacrifice to do it, then this is likely to be an excellent place for you to work.

Cons

Read the other reviews on here and pay close attention to how many people find each of them "helpful." (hint: you'll notice tons of people find the negative reviews helpful) If you have the possibility of becoming a corporate employee at Ryan, or are a tax professional who has other interests in life outside of your career, don't believe the hype that Ryan is feeding you. The culture is a complete joke. The concept of professional and personal success they sell only tells half the story. Yes, you have the ability to work whenever and wherever you want. What they don't tell you is that you will be expected to work whenever and wherever THEY want/need you to. Middle of the night? Doesn't matter, the sky is falling. Sunday on a holiday weekend? Doesn't matter, the sky is falling. On vacation? Doesn't matter, the sky is falling. Seriously, people bring their work computers on vacation with them because they're afraid of the earful they'll get if they don't respond to an email within 5 minutes. You'll get emails from your boss expecting you to do actual work on holidays. Your boss will call you at 11 PM on a Sunday to re-do something you did the prior week that needs edits, and it won't be able to wait 9 hours until Monday morning.

If you're being considered for a corporate job, you are not valued. You are seen purely as necessary overhead. Leadership does not view what you do as adding value to the organization. Your role is nothing more than an administrative necessity that cuts into profits. Dallas is a huge town with lots of corporations who will pay you the same money to do the same job where you might not have the same opportunity for working remotely/from home, but you will know what a 40 hour work week looks like, and they do view what you do as valuable and not just administrative overhead. Unless you're in a desperate situation and need any job now, pass on Ryan and go find one of those places to work.

Advice to Management

My advice was never important to management when I worked there, I highly doubt it will be now.

"Team Leader"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Flexibility like you cannot believe!

Cons

Bonus structure doesn't always feel right in terms of the ratios and how it's divided.

Ryan, LLC Response

May 30, 2017 – X

Thank you for your comment. Flexibility and the MyRyan are an important part of who we are. We always strive to make the bonus as fair as possible, and continually look for ways to improve. -Ryan

"Good Firm!"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Fast growing company and good client base.

Cons

Leadership needs to take more care of the staff.

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff and don't only focus on the high level leadership.

"Stuffy"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, skilled workforce, training

Cons

Stuffy, smug, judgmental, way too image conscious, team member competition rather than cooperation.

Advice to Management

We aren't the big 4 so stop acting like we are. We are better than that. Promote team cooperation. Stop the Principal Pyramid.

"Flexibility is great, but that's not all a job should have"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

-Most directors will allow you to work from home at least some of the time.
    -Autonomy to do your work at your pace and your time as long as completed by deadlines.

Cons

-Not being rewarded by a job well done. Sometimes it feels like people are promoted because of how long they have been at Ryan and not how well they do their job.
    -Expectations are set high for incentive programs and the follow through rarely matches.
    -The base salary is FAR below that of comparable positions in the market place.

9. "Devils in the Details..."

Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a great company. Having worked in the corporate sector for several Fortune 500 companies Ryan is a breath of fresh air (I often say it's Disneyland). I've never worked so hard in my life an not been bitter because I truly enjoy my clients and my team. The CEO and executive team are committed to the employees, clients and level of service expected. Additionally, the executive team is happy to bring anyone along for the ride with plans of reward for contribution which is refreshing. All ideas at all levels are truly appreciated and heard which you rarely experience and I'm so appreciative to have a voice. The clients are amazing and have become an everyday part of my life that I truly enjoy working with them. Ryan makes it easy to manage with a supportive HR team and the ability to provide employees time and flexibility you can reward your employees by giving them a life when the work cycle permits. I really believe I'm about to be part of something great in the next few years if the cons below start to be addressed.

Cons

My current service line does not share in a highly incentivized bonus program therefore, no matter how hard myself, team or even direct manager work or how lean our portion of the business is run or how much revenue we work we never get to reap the rewards of our hard work. Additionally, we are in a LOSING office that dictates our share of all incentive and annual bonuses they are management heavy, their teams are held to the lowest expectation of performance and you couldn't get them to hustle if the building was in fire. These post merger employees do not see the Ryan big picture and we all suffer the unintended consequences. All of the above had led me to look into other job options outside of Ryan.

Advice to Management

The devil is in the detail you need to go granular examine of your service lines at a Director/Manager level. Understand who is really building and working the bulk of the business revenue and volume; you would be shocked and disgusted which is how I feel almost every day especially when I pull 90 hour work weeks and have to push my employees to their own limits because we are in an office of government work mentality peers. Change the bonus program talk to your principals about including the people who work their accounts in the commission break out it's like a battlefield begging for money you work hard to ensure gets billed it's demeaning.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ryan's commitment to a flexible, yet results-driven work environment should be the standard for professional service firms everywhere. It allows employees to achieve work-life success that simply cannot be found with other firms.

The incentive compensation model encourages success and (generally) rewards the amount of effort put forth.

I commend Brint for his vision and steadfast support of the flexible work environment, as well as his philosophy of speaking directly without sugar coating issues.

Cons

Case assignment sometimes still depends on "favorites", resulting in some teams having less to work with, thus making it harder to achieve the same type of success.

Advice to Management

Stay committed to the flexible work environment. Explore methods of case assignment that result in a more equitable distribution of large / profitable clients.