Ryan, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated January 11, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ryan has a flexible work environment that allows it's employees to create a customized approach to work life balance (in 100 reviews)

• They go out of their way to make accommodations for people with a flexible work environment that is truly unique (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the team is working towards bringing more policies in terms of Work life balance but there seems to be some thing that need in this front (in 22 reviews)

• bonus structure not transparent enough, too many small teams compete with each other (in 20 reviews)

"Stuffy"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, skilled workforce, training

Cons

Stuffy, smug, judgmental, way too image conscious, team member competition rather than cooperation.

Advice to Management

We aren't the big 4 so stop acting like we are. We are better than that. Promote team cooperation. Stop the Principal Pyramid.

2. "Devils in the Details..."

Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a great company. Having worked in the corporate sector for several Fortune 500 companies Ryan is a breath of fresh air (I often say it's Disneyland). I've never worked so hard in my life an not been bitter because I truly enjoy my clients and my team. The CEO and executive team are committed to the employees, clients and level of service expected. Additionally, the executive team is happy to bring anyone along for the ride with plans of reward for contribution which is refreshing. All ideas at all levels are truly appreciated and heard which you rarely experience and I'm so appreciative to have a voice. The clients are amazing and have become an everyday part of my life that I truly enjoy working with them. Ryan makes it easy to manage with a supportive HR team and the ability to provide employees time and flexibility you can reward your employees by giving them a life when the work cycle permits. I really believe I'm about to be part of something great in the next few years if the cons below start to be addressed.

Cons

My current service line does not share in a highly incentivized bonus program therefore, no matter how hard myself, team or even direct manager work or how lean our portion of the business is run or how much revenue we work we never get to reap the rewards of our hard work. Additionally, we are in a LOSING office that dictates our share of all incentive and annual bonuses they are management heavy, their teams are held to the lowest expectation of performance and you couldn't get them to hustle if the building was in fire. These post merger employees do not see the Ryan big picture and we all suffer the unintended consequences. All of the above had led me to look into other job options outside of Ryan.

Advice to Management

The devil is in the detail you need to go granular examine of your service lines at a Director/Manager level. Understand who is really building and working the bulk of the business revenue and volume; you would be shocked and disgusted which is how I feel almost every day especially when I pull 90 hour work weeks and have to push my employees to their own limits because we are in an office of government work mentality peers. Change the bonus program talk to your principals about including the people who work their accounts in the commission break out it's like a battlefield begging for money you work hard to ensure gets billed it's demeaning.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ryan's commitment to a flexible, yet results-driven work environment should be the standard for professional service firms everywhere. It allows employees to achieve work-life success that simply cannot be found with other firms.

The incentive compensation model encourages success and (generally) rewards the amount of effort put forth.

I commend Brint for his vision and steadfast support of the flexible work environment, as well as his philosophy of speaking directly without sugar coating issues.

Cons

Case assignment sometimes still depends on "favorites", resulting in some teams having less to work with, thus making it harder to achieve the same type of success.

Advice to Management

Stay committed to the flexible work environment. Explore methods of case assignment that result in a more equitable distribution of large / profitable clients.

"Consultant"

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

good work life balance, flexible schedule

Cons

"Establish a successful career"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are driven, want to work with others that are very bright and motivated and want a successful career, then this is the place for you. At Ryan, the focus is being the best we can at what we do and providing the best service for our clients. This requires hard work, but the hard work pays off. You are recognized for what you do at Ryan, and this includes compensation-wise and in terms of promotions. The icing on the cake is that I feel like I can have the best of both worlds – work towards a high-powered, successful career while also having the flexibility to work remotely when needed thanks to MyRyan.

Cons

There are a number of administrative obligations that can get tedious, but Management has been working hard to work on these.

Advice to Management

Please continue to ask us to provide you our feedback. You do a great job of listening to what your employees tell you and then acting on it!

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibly for parents. CEO, Brint Ryan, is hands on instead of hiding at corporate office. Recent manager changes for me have meant working 80 hour weeks to less than 50!

Cons

It can be difficult to get hired on as the process is long.

Advice to Management

Keep working on fixing our internal barriers.

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I recently finished my first year at Ryan and I can't say enough great things about this company. I'm surrounded by highly intelligent and ambitious people that make me excited to come to work every day. My time in Severance Tax has been very rewarding so far and I can't wait to see what comes next. I would definitely recommend applying to work at Ryan if you're a college student about to graduate.

Cons

Network connectivity problems can be an annoyance, but given that's the only con I can think of, I think Ryan is doing a pretty great job.

Advice to Management

It seems that Severance Tax has a winning formula when it comes to management. My only advice would be to keep up the great work. Additionally, I really think that the monthly all-hands calls from the CEO are a great way to distribute information and feel connected at a firm-wide level.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement, flexible woek/life schedule

Cons

Hard work does pay, but chance, your location, and involvement of principals also impacts each team's success.

Advice to Management

Partnership needs to be more involved with engagement managers to improve processes and reduce inefficiencies. Partnership should be more involved in projects.

"Good place for some, but not for others..."

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Co-workers are awesome people, flex policy is great if your manager supports it

Cons

Executive leadership only has experience at Ryan and does not have the outside knowledge from which to draw upon. Company is medium-large scale but is still run as if there are only 20 employees - very difficult to make progress.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you have hired to do their jobs. Routing everything through the CEO is very inefficient.

"A Company That Truly Cares for Its Employees"

Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ryan cares for its employees well-being, which is directly evidenced by it's work/life balance program called MyRyan. I previously worked at another accounting firm, and was drawn to a company like Ryan- a company that treated its employees like they were indispensable. Ryan wants its employees to stay at the firm and succeed, not just leave after two years. It's possible to have a successful career and a life while working at the firm. Programs like MyRyan attract top talent that make going to work each day great. Also, Ryan's client service is superior to other firms in its field. Ryan has time and again saved clients more money than other firms.

Cons

The flexible work program is great- but you still must complete your work in a timely manner and with high quality. This firm is best for high achievers and hard workers.

Advice to Management

The monthly status update meeting from the CEO were great. Its always nice to hear how well the company is doing!