Ryan Lawn and Tree Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Larry Ryan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "High-growth company with potential"

Former Employee - Marketing Director
    Former Employee - Marketing Director

I worked at Ryan Lawn and Tree full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits including an ESOP, fully vested after 6 years
    President/Founder invested in company's success
    Great co-workers
    It's a smaller company, and very agile. There is not a lot of red tape to get in the way of trying new things.

Cons

Career paths are not clearly defined, so it's difficult to figure out how to move up in the company.
    There is definitely a Ryan Lawn & Tree 'type' and it can be hard if you don't fit the mold.

Advice to Management

Keep the intense focus on growth and hiring quality associates. Recognize the power of diversity in your workforce -- not just diversity in ethnic background/gender, but in personality and approaches to problem solving.

2. "Turf Manager"

Pros

Pay, benefits, schedule, co-workers, outside work

Cons

Nothing to complain about. Awesome company.

Advice to Management

NA

"Route Manager"

I have been working at Ryan Lawn and Tree full-time

Pros

Ryan is an great place to work. Employee owned and great benefits. I have been here for over 10 years and this is where I will retire.

Cons

Sometimes the hours can get long. But the more you work the more you make!

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to make this a great place to work.

4. "Arborist"

Current Employee - Arborist in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Growing and ambitious company, good benefits, employee owned, professional atmosphere, quality employees.

Cons

Confusing and over complicated salary, very long hours, (expect to work 12-13 hour days regularly and 1-2 Saturdays a month), demanding physical labor, high expectations that can cause stress, favoritism.

5. "Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Ryan Lawn and Tree (More than 10 years)

Pros

Christian faith based company that is employee owned. I enjoy working outdoors and have been blessed with the opportunity to have a great career doing something I love. Ryan offers great benefits that helps take care of my family now and for retirement to come.

Cons

Ryan is a high expectation performance based company and is not for everyone. Our pace and high quality can result in excessive stress for some employees that are struggling to stay on schedule.

Advice to Management

Focus on a clear laid out game plan before starting the next company move so employees can have time to process and buy in to the plan.

6. "Urban forester"

Current Employee - Urban Forester in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Urban Forester in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ryan Lawn and Tree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great ownership, ESOP company

Cons

No cons at this time

7. "Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Ryan Lawn and Tree full-time

Pros

We have great benefits. Time off is really good. Everyone works together; there is no talking bad things about other. We really are close to each other. It is nice that we send cards to our customers that have had those that have passed away. Then we have all pitched in to go to a cancer walk and get money for one of our co-worker's daughter to help with all we can for he hospital -- two girls who had cancer. We do have ESOP & 401K In that case, we do have to keep our facility to be clean; taking turns at vacuuming, clean the bathrooms, kitchen, trash, etc.

Cons

We do need a raise as we do work hard; and even though we are all a good "bunch"; we are under the wages below the companies like us that MUCH more than we have.

8. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

great place to work in the midwest

Cons

no cons to speak of at this time

Advice to Management

none

"Arborist"

Current Employee - Arborist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Arborist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ryan Lawn and Tree (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Great salary. Owner is sincere and truly cares about every employee. Upper management is tough but always pushing the company forward to keep us on the cutting edge of the industry. Employee owned (ESOP proves to be fruitful year after year).

Cons

50-60 hours a week. Mandatory weekend hours. Job can be very stressful and dangerous. For pruning department we are so co-dependent that factions are often created between tree pruners, shrub pruners, consulting arborists and support staff.

Advice to Management

Pruners need weekends to recover physically and mentally. I'd like to focus more on productivity and efficiency Monday through Friday so pruners can rest 2 days in a row and show up fresh and ready to work every Monday. There is no off season for pruners like other departments. The jobs can be very dangerous. I think it is important to consider the physical and mental strain the job has on each employee and allow them the time off they deserve. Those who want to could still work weekends, and we can require weekends when it is truly necessary (storms, extreme backlog of work, etc)

10. "There is work to do here"

I have been working at Ryan Lawn and Tree full-time

Pros

Compensation, 401k, ESOP, friendly people, President is hard working, goal oriented ($100 million company by 2030), financially strong, looking to grow.

Cons

People in the office aren't cared about as much as the "money makers" out in the field. Sub-par office condition.. no windows, no breakroom, tiny kitchen where other employees have to hear conversations and smell food as they are trying to work There is no organizational structure. Who reports to who and why? Some employees have no supervision and just do things as they see fit for themselves instead of putting the company first, which could lead to fraud. No one knows what a $100 million company looks like around here. We need more clear, defined goals.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and take their happiness into consideration, find a $100 million company we can look up to so that we know where we are going, develop an organizational structure, develop a position that employees can come to when they have issues or concerns, and work on lines of communication. All of these things are very important if we want to continue to grow. The office needs to be sound and fully functional before we can successfully become a $100 million company.