Ryan Specialty Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patrick Ryan

"Don't see this as a sustainable organization"

Former Employee - Back Office Support in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Back Office Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ryan Specialty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job is meant for the old guard of insurance brokering and selling. If you are worried about being too 'old' or 'overqualified' then worry no more. This place is for you. It's about experience and sales. This is one aspect of diversity I respect.

Cons

The company has no actual product to grow the company. The outlook seems to be based on mergers and acquisitions. If there is a company to buy, they will buy it. Employees are expendable and are not assets.

Ensure that you are on the side of profitability and have a proven track record. If you are back office or infrastructure and don't generate revenue, then you aren't seen as a value add. You are simply overhead. Back office and infrastructure did not feel as being assets to the organization.

The person who 'seals the deals' is the one who gets the glory. It doesn't matter how many back office support staff helped that person. The revenue generator will not share recognition.

Advice to Management

Say what you mean and mean what you say in the interview. Be transparent about what the role will be and don't sell the candidate with grand ideas of where it will take their career.

Work on defining the work/life balance as part of the culture of the company. In this day, when the balance is heavy on the work side, then the company provides incentives. In other words, employees shouldn't be buying from vending machines or eating second hand meals (left overs from management meetings).

An organization should provide all the resources it can so that employees focus on the job and their creativity. If it means catering, then cater. If it means creating a gym then create a gym. This is how you keep employees on site and a way to stimulate the synapses of creativity. A creative employee from front office to back office can find new ways to save money or generate revenue. As the economy gets stronger this will be how your organization sells itself to potential candidates.

2. "Fair"

Former Employee - Controller in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Controller in Chicago, IL

Pros

entrepreneurial, exposure to senior management

Cons

unclear hierarchy, no visibility in management decisions

Advice to Management

the leadership there is very undeveloped, management does not possess enough soft skills to manage their people...

3. "RT"

I have been working at Ryan Specialty full-time

Pros

Many great people work there

Cons

No regard for infrastructure. Functions poorly.

Advice to Management

NA

4. "Accounts Payable"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Chicago, IL

Pros

Worked with great co-workers. Location was great and close to everything.

Cons

Too much work and poor management. No direction was given and training wasn't efficient.

Advice to Management

Give clearer direction and create a training program for new employees.

"what happened"

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ryan Specialty (More than a year)

Pros

The Original Management Group and being involved in a startup and the positive vibe of being involved in PGR's next adventure

Cons

Loss of some very good insurance leaders and reckless influence of Senior sales team leadership on Corporate stewardship.

Advice to Management

I think they're beyond the point of any positive suggestions or constructive advice. I wish them well in these times of mergers and acquisitions

6. "Unstructured Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ryan Specialty (Less than a year)

Pros

RSG is a company comprised of insurance industry experts, so as my first taste of the business world, i understood how a very professional culture operated. The lack of a structured internship allowed for an array of tasks making my day to day change constantly. Due to the company's small size and new incorporation when I interned, I was provided the opportunity to create and present a marketing strategy that was substantially implemented.

Cons

The experience in the room made for a somber atmosphere and not much social interaction from what I could tell. Hierarchy and lines of command were very strict. "Marketing" at RSG was never defined for me or what my responsibilities would be, so I floated from one task to the next not seeing how one supported or built on the last.

Advice to Management

Work to soften the reporting lines and open communication

Ryan Specialty Response

Oct 10, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

I wanted to provide an update as this former employee worked at RSG before a number of changes were implemented with regard to our internship program. Our goal has been to continue to enhance our ... More

"Fast-paced job at a 3-year old start up."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ryan Specialty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Building corporate function over the past 3 years, get exposure to senior level executives, gaining experience in all aspects of corporate functions.

Cons

Fast-paced work environment does not work well for those who need constant oversight. Team members need to be able to act quickly and make decisions with little supervision.

8. "Great business experience."

Current Employee - Broker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Broker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ryan Specialty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are very friendly in the insurance industry in general and you get to meet a lot of cool people at happy hours which are fun.

Cons

Starting out you don't get paid that much and its not very clear when or how you can create your own team.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to act macho.

9. "Broker's Assistant"

Pros

Good Benefits if your are employed directly with them.

Cons

No real chance for promotion
    Do not work as a temp for them, you will not get hired permanently.

"Special group of special people"

I have been working at Ryan Specialty full-time

Pros

Tornado full of cash, lots of advancement opportunities, some very talented achievers and a huge profit margin as an organization

Cons

Leadership is psychotic, org charts do not reflect reality, coming and goings are confidential and undiscussed