Ryan Specialty Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Help Desk Analyst"

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ryan Specialty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Offering accomplished experience and technical expertise in the areas of desktop support across Windows Networks and Telecommunications.

Cons

I've been told I talk too loud.

Advice to Management

Microsoft Windows 10/ 7/Vista/ XP/2000/NT/98/95; Microsoft Office 2000-2013; 365, Microsoft Outlook 2010, 2013 with Exchange for IPhone – Android - Blackberry ; Microsoft Server 2008; TCP/IP; DHCP; DNS; Active Directory; Print Management; VOIP; Remote Access Clients; Resource management.

2. "Underwriter"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Ryan Specialty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company president is engaged with employees and is constantly making efforts to get to know his people. Employees are very vocal about their political views so you'll fit right in if you pledge to one of two parties

Cons

Nepotism is widespread. College drop-outs who are relatives of employees are hired under the table and promoted to full-time employees over time.

Advice to Management

Company needs to rely educated professionals rather than inexperienced family members and trust in data science to make portfolio decisions. Carriers will be impacted negatively in the long run if current underwriting practices are allowed to continue and RSG's reputation is at stake. Highly recommend you review your employment policies!

3. "Great team!"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ryan Specialty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, open to new approaches, good benefits, above-average compensation, good PTO

Cons

Overtime during quarter and year closings but it's the usual thing if you are in accounting

4. "Finance function"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ryan Specialty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We pay above market comp and bonus. Since we're a small team, you have a lot of responsibility and get to work on a variety of projects. The company is still fairly new, so there's room for improvement everywhere; I feel I've been able to make a real impact. I've seen several talented people go above and beyond and get rewarded with promotions; career trajectory is good. I get constant feedback and review. Our team is great, both as people, and as finance professionals. Overall I've been very satisfied.

Cons

The hours aren't great during quarterly close, but that's to be expected. Since the company has grown and changed so quickly, we don't have strong processes and documentation, which means a lot of learning by doing and trial and error; this can be inefficient.

5. "Mostly good"

I have been working at Ryan Specialty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, solid benefits, managers I have worked with are reasonable. Great location by the park. No micromanagement, so flexible work hours and vacation days are a blessing (for salaried employees over 100k).

Cons

Conservative company culture, lots of acquisitions over the years which is somewhat chaotic, but not truly a "con". Quite disorganized structurally, with potentially competing business segments under the same corporate umbrella. Exacerbated by having many different offices throughout the US.

6. "Unstructured Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ryan Specialty (Less than a year)

Pros

RSG is a company comprised of insurance industry experts, so as my first taste of the business world, i understood how a very professional culture operated. The lack of a structured internship allowed for an array of tasks making my day to day change constantly. Due to the company's small size and new incorporation when I interned, I was provided the opportunity to create and present a marketing strategy that was substantially implemented.

Cons

The experience in the room made for a somber atmosphere and not much social interaction from what I could tell. Hierarchy and lines of command were very strict. "Marketing" at RSG was never defined for me or what my responsibilities would be, so I floated from one task to the next not seeing how one supported or built on the last.

Advice to Management

Work to soften the reporting lines and open communication

Ryan Specialty Response

Oct 10, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

I wanted to provide an update as this former employee worked at RSG before a number of changes were implemented with regard to our internship program. Our goal has been to continue to enhance our... More

7. "RSG TA"

I have been working at Ryan Specialty full-time

Pros

Great work environment with friendly peopl

Cons

Minimal upward movement and low pay

Advice to Management

Create an environment of growth for you employees as your company grows

"what happened"

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ryan Specialty (More than a year)

Pros

The Original Management Group and being involved in a startup and the positive vibe of being involved in PGR's next adventure

Cons

Loss of some very good insurance leaders and reckless influence of Senior sales team leadership on Corporate stewardship.

Advice to Management

I think they're beyond the point of any positive suggestions or constructive advice. I wish them well in these times of mergers and acquisitions

"Special group of special people"

I have been working at Ryan Specialty full-time

Pros

Tornado full of cash, lots of advancement opportunities, some very talented achievers and a huge profit margin as an organization

Cons

Leadership is psychotic, org charts do not reflect reality, coming and goings are confidential and undiscussed

10. "Accounts Payable"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Chicago, IL

Pros

Worked with great co-workers. Location was great and close to everything.

Cons

Too much work and poor management. No direction was given and training wasn't efficient.

Advice to Management

Give clearer direction and create a training program for new employees.