Ryan Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Mel Winstone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great People, Strong Company"

Former Employee - Brokerage Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Brokerage Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Ryan Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Ryan for 2 and a half years right out of college and right off the bat, knew it was a special place. The biggest pro is the people I met through my tenure. Many of them I would call my friends over coworkers. Also, you won't find a better opportunity to make greater money before you're 25. If you hustle, and use your resources, you can make $100k plus after building your book. Plenty of people there are willing to help. Great business developers that are spread pretty thin helping the younger guys, but are always willing to put the time in with you if you ask for it. Full paid benefits, a growing company, and a fun environment.

Cons

Stress levels can get pretty high working here. Customer demand will have you making many calls after hours, on weekends, and the execution of your operations is often out of your hands. The broker world is pretty cutthroat, and if you aren't available to your customer, or able to meet your demands, you're replaceable. If you can stick with your customers long enough to build good relationships, you have a little less to worry about. However, as in any sales job, gaining those new customers can be difficult. One mistake, and it's on to the next broker.

Advice to Management

Too many structure changes can cause some confusion, and grumblings on the floor. Also, don't be afraid to reach out to guys that might not be cut out for the broker world for other possibilities within the company if you think they have potential. Overall, you've built a money making machine, and stick with the open door policy.

2. "National Account Manager"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Ryan Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission Payout
     - Above industry average.
    - I don't think I could make more money anywhere else in KC at the age of 25.
    Upper Management
    - VP of Sales works very hard to ensure AM's will be successful.
    - You are only micro-managed if you are not performing.
    Benefits Programs
     - Merrill Lynch 401(k), ESOP program, Health, Vision, & Dental monthly premiums paid for, AAA cards, Wellness committee, and more!

Cons

Work / Life Balance
     - If you want to be successful; you will have beat your peers, take your work home, and be self-sustainable to a certain degree. Is this even con?
    Structure Changes
    - Lets stick with something!

Advice to Management

Keep hiring, growing, and I will keep selling for you! I would like us to be more proactive and not reactive when it comes to beating the competition.

3. "Ryan Trans has a lot to offer"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Ryan Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are in all aspects of over the road trucking. They factor accounts receivables, have a freight brokerage, tire sales, fuel sales and trucking technology.

Cons

They say they will promote you a lot sooner than they actually do.

4. "Carrier Sales Representative"

I worked at Ryan Transportation part-time

Pros

Great company culture and training. They are always willing to help.

Cons

Very fast paced environment. Learn fast and don't fall behind.

5. "Great Company"

I have been working at Ryan Transportation full-time

Pros

The company is young, booming, fast paced, a lot of money to be made. Since its growing so fast there are a lot of opportunities for promotions

Cons

A lot of change with all the growth

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work of hiring people that want to be successful with the company

"Carrier Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Ryan Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This role gives great cold calling experience and tactics. It can be lucrative if you work very very hard.

Cons

Some but not all of the management plays favoritism. Luck of the draw, but if you get unlucky your work life is not going to be enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Quit changing the commission structure so often. It's how you lose good people.

""People are about as happy as they decide to be" Abe Lincoln"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

-A solid steady work environment that you can count on.
    -Great people that I truly consider my friends
    -Best opportunity out there to make real $$ - but it's not handed to you. You've gotta hustle.
    -Zero travel
    -Good Benefits

Cons

I've had probably had 10 different jobs since I started working when I was 15 - and this tops them all - and frankly the negative reviews on here are irritating and likely from people who haven't taken any initiative to do anything about their situation. Yes it's stressful, Yes I have bad days, Yes I don't feel pumped up to perform every single day... BUT this place is like a lot of things in life: THE MORE YOU PUT IN, THE MORE YOU GET OUT. And in my experience, no other company comes close to meeting you half-way to your success IF you're willing to do your part.

Advice to Management

The company is rocking right now compared to other companies in the economy - so don't forget to have fun and celebrate our success!!

I know a company can't make ALL of their people happy, ALL the time, on ALL issues - and it's stupid to think otherwise, but as we grow it's important to maintain a fun, positive culture. Couple that with our people, pay, and benefits and we'll succeed for years.

8. "The Grass isn't Greener!"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Ryan Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to manage my time with some free will. The pressure is a good pressure. The harder you work, the more money you can make. Eligible for promotion at 6 months, but not a freebie- you have to earn it. VP's of the company are sitting close by and lots of good tenured knowledge within arms reach of you. I even saw a VP of the company cleaning out the fridge one Friday!

Cons

They are hiring a lot of young hungry people, if you are looking for a promotion based on tenure, it wont happen. They reward people who make the company more money. I missed out because I thought I should have been promoted before others. If I would have stuck it out, I could have been making more money than I am now. Grass wasn't greener on the other side of the fence!

Advice to Management

Recognize people who aren't looking to the climb the ladder in their first 6 months. Long term growth will come from both hunger-driven and the people content in their roles.

Ryan Transportation Response

Mar 3, 2016 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for this very thoughtful, balanced review. Best of luck to you in your career.

9. "carrier Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Cool people, good benefits, somewhat laid back

Cons

VERY BORING, easily burned out, on the phone non stop

Advice to Management

Keep motivating employees, don't just look at numbers

"Lost in the fifties"

Pros

If you like a 1950's environment complete with racist and homophobic comments from managers and co-workers, you'll love it.

Cons

Stuck in the 1950's and proud of it. Zero work/life balance, random emails from management stating that the refrigerator smells and threatening to throw away food, racist and homophobic comments daily, micromanaging at every level. A really joyous place.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

Ryan Transportation Response

Mar 3, 2016 – Marketing Manager

We are sorry to learn that you had an unsatisfactory experience working for Ryan Transportation. We’re very proud of the company culture we have built over the past 30 years. The incidents you... More