KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Rylem

Is this your company?

Rylem

Add a Review

Rylem Employee Reviews about "culture"

Updated Jul 10, 2022

Found 13 of over 93 reviews

3.4
Rylem Managing Partner Mike Dades (no image)
Mike Dades

Technical Account Manager

64 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits (including health insurance and commuter reimbursement)(in 6 reviews)
  • "The culture has changed and evolved a lot over my time at Rylem, and it is admittedly, in flux at the moment, but the company has a great core of young salespeople and recruiters that are driven and excited, and will make great mentors for you if you're looking for your first step into the world of agency recruiting.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Both great opportunities that look even greater on my resume.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Friendly and prompt staff(in 4 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "culture"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Rylem is a great organization to be a part of and to grow with. They truly care about the client & candidate experience.

Mar 11, 2014 - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ownership is open to new ideas and is always willing to go the extra mile for their employees, clients and candidates. They are a progressive organization that's strives to be the best partner with top notch companies in this area.

Cons

With any young company there are cons. They are growing and with that comes challenges but the overall leadership and culture of Rylem is headed in the right direction.

Rylem Response

Manager

Thank you for your review and suggestions!

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Former Internal Recruiter

May 20, 2016 - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a consultant, there are very few agencies in the Seattle market that will care about you and treat you as well as Rylem will. I can’t think of anyone I worked with at Rylem who wouldn’t go above and beyond to do whatever it took to do right by their contractors. Great benefits, amazing internal operations to ensure pay, benefits and other HR functions for our consultants are always running smoothly. As far as internal operations go (Sourcers, Recruiters, Sales)- Rylem is a great place to be, but is not without it’s flaws. Rylem isn’t perfect, but what company is? Above all else, Rylem is a great place to be if you want to enjoy being at work, make great money, and build a career if you’re new to staffing/recruiting. Rylem’s training and development program is second to none. Probably it’s biggest problem is retention, due to large tech companies like Google and Amazon poaching all of it’s employees. But management has done a great job at making Rylem a place that’s hard to leave, for me at least. Rylem isn’t for everyone though. Personalities can definitely clash, and there have been a lot of negative experiences here, as some of the feedback below shows. There’s a lot of criticism, much of which is true, or somewhat true. But a lot simply comes from disgruntled employees who probably didn’t perform well, or didn’t work well with others. There certainly is a lot of room for improvement at Rylem, but management truly does make a concentrated effort at always hearing out its employees, and making improvements to the business, the culture, the policies, and anything else it can. They want you to enjoy working there, and they want you to be successful. For me, leaving Rylem was tough, but that wasn’t the case for all people. As I said, it’s not right for everyone. But it’s a great place to learn, develop, and/or make a lot of money, in place that for me was fun and down to earth. Pros: - Management that cares about you personally and professionally, and is always striving to find ways to improve. - Exceptional training and development; if you are a young professional looking to get your start in recruiting, look no further. - Highly competitive commission structure and base pay - Very laid back, energetic and down to earth culture (which will probably not be right for a lot of people) - “Work hard, play hard” mentality (I know everyone says that, but it’s really the culture at Rylem) - Amazing clients to work with a recruit for (Amazon, Expedia, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Microsoft, and more) - Free food and drinks - Awesome office space (think techy industrial look)

Cons

Cons: - Increasing lenience on VMS accounts, which can make it hard to find opportunities to redeploy contractors at the end of their contracts - Consistency and follow-through with new ideas and policies is not strong, to stay the least - Somewhat prescriptive policies in terms of how to do your job (although metrics and numbers at Rylem are a lot less intense than most staffing agencies, from what I’ve heard) - The culture could be a con to some people; if you’re an extremely buttoned up and serious professional who strives to separate work and personal life, Rylem will not be the place for.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company, Newly Developing Culture

Mar 26, 2018 - Senior Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I recently left my position at Rylem, but have spent the last 3+ years with the company. Rylem is a genuinely fantastic company to work for. At Rylem, your coworkers, supervisors, and (maybe most importantly) the owner, genuinely care about you and your success. Agency staffing isn't easy, but Rylem will give you all of the tools you need to succeed. The culture has changed and evolved a lot over my time at Rylem, and it is admittedly, in flux at the moment, but the company has a great core of young salespeople and recruiters that are driven and excited, and will make great mentors for you if you're looking for your first step into the world of agency recruiting. The owner is also fantastic about working with you directly to find ways to evolve your role and take on more responsibility. Compensation and benefits are also just as good, if not much better, than competing companies.

Cons

Agency staffing is tough, and it's definitely not for everyone. You're much less likely to succeed at Rylem if you're the type of person that needs a ton of direction and hand-holding. This is an environment that lends itself well to "go-getters" and people who can be very self-directed. The company is also pretty small, but you will still have access to more tools and resources than you will find at many much bigger staffing agencies.

4. 3.0

Average outlook

Feb 24, 2016 - Internal Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

Provides the opportunity to get sourcing and recruiting experience at a company in Seattle. The culture between employees is for the most part welcoming, but is geared for a younger start up vibe, prepare to work with friends and not-so-much friends. As a recruiter hopeful you can begin creating your own brand with the tools provided. Peer to Peer mentorship can go beyond Rylem tenure, great for those early in their careers. This company has learned some good things from recent changes, hoping they can complete their goals and not abandon them.

Cons

Focus too much on creating a cultures too much on creating a cultures too much on creating a culture fit that requires fun events to hang out with the owners. Compensation should be increased to encourage work/life balance opposed to life balance being inside work funded events that are NSFW. Improvements to the processes, foundations of ideals, and manageable long term goals will be necessary for continued success. Promotional opportunities limited due to internal structure.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Educated people don't stay here for very long

Mar 26, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-The location okay -There's a tiny handful of good Recruiters

Cons

-The owners are the most unprofessional liars who are churning and burning through their best people--because the best employees are smart enough to see right through the facade the owners try to put up about actually knowing how to run a business. -The managers, both recruiting and sourcing, are incompetent at their own roles and contribute to high turnover. They are bringing in a lot of inexperienced people to work for Rylem as they know they are impressionable and naive. They completely fail at training, so many of the inexperienced people have no clue what they're doing, making this a disadvantage enough not to work here. -The pay and benefits are below market --again this is why hiring inexperienced people is preferable to them. -They will tell you yourself that it's a stagnant place to work, so if you want career growth, go somewhere else. It's just a job, not a career. -The company is clearly cutting back, so the culture is just boring, no one is excited to be there. it's just a job.

8 people found this review helpful

Rylem Response

Manager

We're sorry for your negative experience. With regards to your advice- Rylem's founders and managers will continue to work on communication and transparency. In addition, addressing wages and benefits is something that we often take into consideration- we know how vital they are to retaining the best employees. And finally, we will try to be less sketchy :)

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best company and CEO to work for

Dec 3, 2020 - Technical Recruiter in Manila, Manila
    Business Outlook

Pros

small company with great culture and CEO. Fosters empowerment among members

Cons

None really, maybe if we could be a separate entity it will be perfect but nonetheless everything is great

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great starting point for recruiting career

Nov 10, 2017 - Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Taking early ownership of your own work - Recruiting training was thorough and had structure, good environment for people who are looking to transition into recruiting or looking for a career straight out of college - Promotes communication (selling, negotiating, diplomacy) and administrative skills - Welcomes new ideas all the time - Small company, promotes positivity and collaboration in what is traditionally a competitive, insular line of work - Very goal-oriented culture, not just professional but the owners care about your personal goals too - Encouraged to stay in touch with our candidates post-placement - Some group activities I liked were the book club, game night, boat day & bbq in the summer - Fast promotion and salary increases in the first year, decent benefits

Cons

- Rylem welcomes all kinds of personalities, but to be successful in agency-style recruiting, you definitely have to have driven, scrappy, and competitive. Not competitive in the sense you're racing against your coworkers, but recruiters from other agencies. This kind of mentality encourages interacting with candidates and clients before/after work hours, which could interfere with work/life balance. - Sales (business development) is clearly the toughest area, you have to be the kind of person who doesn't mind going after thin leads and cold-calling, as well as being very persuasive in-person. - There was a period when all we had were contests (who could call the most, who could make the highest margin, etc.) which were entertaining at first but became annoying and pushy over time.

1 person found this review helpful