S.C. Johnson Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
S.C. Johnson Chairman and CEO H. Fisk Johnson
H. Fisk Johnson

Pros
  • Good work life balance, development opportunities (in 48 reviews)

• SC Johnson is a Family Company thus not much influenced from the stock exchange fluctuations or dividends to third parties (in 20 reviews)

"Director"

I have been working at S.C. Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and some really good people director and below.

Cons

Recruited from the outside to help create change...Have worked at top tier CPG going through change before and this is a tremendous debacle due to the crushing lack of integrity at the VP and up levels. I have never seen such a paradox of control freak, finger pointing, matrixed chaos. The culture has transformed from yes, tough change but excitement, to fear, lack of decision making, unbelievable failures to lead or take ownership.. One VP told a junior manager..hey you should go meet with the CMO and tell her xx is a bad idea.. What?? Xx, btw, was something this VP asked for. I have had several VP's and even a SVP tell me the same thing. "YOU tell her.." I've had others blatantly lie to, presumably, avoid ownership of projects or decisions, or maybe just because they are embracing the fear based culture and enjoy perpetuating it...and even their peers won't hold them accountable, even when they were direct witnesses to the truth. It is a leadership vacuum, truly needed work is deemed irrelevant or wrong unless explicitly "approved" by the CMO. My boss has not even tried to drive for what's right -- or in fairness, so it seems-- for his group in months and just seems..defeated..and thus shrugs it off when his LT raises concerns about the work plans or people situation. The billion dollar question everyone is asking is does the CEO/family know what is happening in their company? Sadly, all agree much of the "what" in terms of change is right, but the "how" has gone horribly awry. Oh, and opportunities especially if you are a woman or an American or anything but marketing are nearly non existent. In Sales there is some chance, but Sales even at the highest levels can't and/or won't do anything without permission from marketing so it's a hollow victory to get promoted... that is of course also helping kill business results. Oh the rates of sales opps lost due to internal inability to even know who has decision rights...or find anyone who will exercise them...

Advice to Management

walk the talk. No one is buying the be courageous and be compassionate speeches when everyone knows that even VP's aren't allowed to make decisions regarding their own people or areas of expertise or ownership.

Dec 19, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

"Regional Market Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Management in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Management in Northeast, NY

I worked at S.C. Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started out as a great company with excellent people, benefits, and quality brands. Hard working productive employees were rewarded for dedication and performance.

Cons

the last 5 years of my 33 year career with SCJ I saw a large decline in the success of new products. The Trade no longer respected SCJ. Reorganization resulting in the first time massive layoffs of long term employees that had worked to build scj. Workloads that were not manageable, and an HR department that was clueless. Top management changed as did the philosophy of the company. Scj went from being an outstanding company to work for to a mediocre one. No loyalty on either side anymore.

Advice to Management

Look at the cornerstones that made SCJ into the great company they once were. Learn from all the past to build a better future.

Oct 25, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for writing. We’re sorry to hear your final years at SCJ left you feeling disappointed. You’re right that there’s been a fair amount of change lately. But there are things we don’t ever want ... More

"Lead, Supply Planning"

Pros

Highly recognized global brands in the indisutry

Cons

1. Culture is horrible. Doesn't promote growth from within
    2. Not adaptable to change
    3. Company does not recognize outside talent. If you didnt "grow up" in SCJ, then you are not valued for having diverse experience
    4. If management doesn't like you, they look for reasons to "manage" you out of the business
    5. They do not promote diversity. Minority associates tend to leave within 2 years or less due to the lack of diversity and inclusion within the company (specifically Racine, WI)

Advice to Management

Increase diversity.
    Look at moving offices out of Racine, WI to attract higher caliber of talent

Oct 25, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Diversity is really important to us. We want to be the kind of place where everyone is encouraged and supported and inspired to thrive. We’re sorry you didn’t feel that while you were at SCJ. It ... More

"Will never be a "Great Place to Work""

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI

Pros

Admirable family history, new office spaces, expansion into Chicago.

Cons

Trust other reviews that state morale is low, decision making is slow, people are passive aggressive, there is little career progression (org is very flat), promotion is based on who you know, innovation and work/life balance are non-existent. Continued poaching of PepsiCo leaders isn't moving the needle. SCJ is touted as having amazing benefits but they are no longer even competitive in this area. Disappointing compared to other CPG companies.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at yourself as compared to your competitor set, you don't really have that much to offer. Being privately held and a family company is how you lean in on defending your being a great place to work and it's just not cutting it anymore.

Oct 7, 2016 – The SCJ Team

It sounds like your time at SCJ was frustrating, and we’re sorry to hear that. It’s true that there have been changes in the company in recent years, and morale in some groups is still rebounding. We ... More

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I have been working at S.C. Johnson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Harder and harder to find as time goes on

Cons

No integrity, don't live their values, no decision-making ability, chasing every crazy idea, no work-life balance. Upper management is too busy throwing each under the bus and everyone else is caught in the cross fire.

Advice to Management

Start over

Oct 7, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for writing. It sounds like you’re pretty down on the company, and if this is what you’re experiencing, we can understand why. But what you’ve described is not the culture we want to have. We ... More

"Terrible Place To Work"

Former Employee - Field Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Sales Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Benefits okay, slow pace, predictable. You don't really have to perform ... just fit in and drink the corporate kool-aid.

Cons

Horrible morale, high turnover as company does NOT actually behave in a manner reflective of their propaganda image. Low opportunities for advancement.
    Loss of core values that helped build the company. No respect anymore for employee loyalty.
    Used to be a good company but management changes have driven off loyal employees similar to me.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing....you are making your competitors very happy.

Oct 25, 2016 – The SCJ Team

It sounds like you left with a pretty negative view of SCJ. We’re sorry to hear it. While we don’t agree with all of your critiques, we want to keep learning and growing as a company – and that means ... More

"Lost Their Way"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Racine, WI

I worked at S.C. Johnson (Less than a year)

Pros

Principle-based Chairman and great workers in the factories.

Cons

Lost their way with the awful fellow from Pepsico. I can't believe the leadership allowed the destruction of the culture.

Advice to Management

Start over on the senior leadership team.

Oct 25, 2016 – The SCJ Team

We’re sorry that you wouldn’t recommend SCJ. We’ve been through a fair amount of change in recent years, and we know it takes some time to settle in after change…but we do believe our unique culture ... More

"senior tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bay City, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bay City, MI

I worked at S.C. Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

NONE ,worst place to work for!!!!

Cons

Don"t believe that best company to for or the family company ! None of it is true! BAD MANAGEMENT,they lie ,horrible training ,its just a bad place ever since SAM JOHNSON DIED . All down hill ,and falling fast.The morale is unbeiveabely bad .Good luck ,lasting long there!!!

Advice to Management

Quite now!!! Your bad!!!!

Oct 25, 2016 – The SCJ Team

It doesn’t sound like there’s anything we can say that might change your mind about SCJ, but we’re sorry to hear you’re so down on the company. We think there are many great reasons to join and to ... More

"Lack of Integrity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I worked at S.C. Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid brands, international presence, some nice people to work with. Family ownership desires to do good in the world. Not as short term focused as public company.

Cons

Senior leadership. Zero empowerment as all decisions made at the senior management level. Lack of ownership for those decisions when failures occur. Makes promises when recruiting employees that it has no intention of honoring. Compensation structure not competitive.

Advice to Management

Replace senior leadership with competent individuals that have integrity.

Oct 25, 2016 – The SCJ Team

We appreciate that you took time to share your thoughts. We want to be the kind of place where people can make a real and significant impact, and empowerment is an important part of that. Getting ... More

11. "Manpower Contractor"

Current Contractor - Assembly Line, Warehouse in Bay City, MI
    Current Contractor - Assembly Line, Warehouse in Bay City, MI

I have been working at S.C. Johnson as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice clean building
    Air conditioning
    Not much else

Cons

Maybe being employed by S.C. Johnson would be different. I was a temp worker, I started on the bag line, then I took the offer to go out to the warehouse, When I got to the warehouse they put me through the forklift training, they told me during training that if I drop any barrels, don't bother coming back, I thought that was rude. At this time there was only 3 of us in that warehouse, including the supervisor. I got one break on that 12 hour shift. If you forget to turn in your name card, your fired. You can't leave the building for any reason. Sorry I wasn't going to work in your prison. It says something about a company that can't hire it's own workers, and uses staffing agencies.

Advice to Management

Maybe start hiring people, and actually training people to stay.