S&P Global Market Intelligence Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Chinn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Work Culture"

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time

Pros

Worked at S&P for a couple of years. Has a great work life balance and it genuinely looks out for its employees

Cons

Perhaps the company needs fresh talent

2. "Fading out of the US"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance was excellent when I started.

Cons

IT management is outsourced and a major productivity sucker. Management is a revolving door that doesn't really make decisions that tip the scales all that much.

The biggest problem for US employees' future prospects is that the division has a "hiring freeze" that only seems to be in the US. This existed throughout my employment there, and didn't seem to extend to India, where we were rapidly staffing up.

The majority of the division's tech staff is in India. On top of being a "low cost location" (salaries being about 1/5th of the US equivalent), an increasing amount of developers were being hired there. QA was entirely in India. It's very difficult to interface with people whose days hardly overlap with EST Americans and whose English skills vary widely.

At some point, before I left, we began to receive these emails from the head of the Market Intelligence (MI) platform extolling the virtues of crunch time (working weekends, removing all bugs, etc.), for the platform that was badly behind schedule. These emails went on for a full two months before, management ultimately decided to push back the release at least four months, but probably more.

When unrelated teams kept getting pulled in, MI showed off the fact that it was five year old tech that had been reskinned to sell to management, but with an increasing amount of "low cost location" labor behind it.

If you want to have a tenable future, at a gig with crusty tech, S&P Global Market Intelligence is for you. Maybe that's everywhere these days though.

Advice to Management

Be honest about outsourcing and try to stanch the administrative and American employment outflow.

3. "Great company - highly recommend"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for 12 years and have only good things to say about my experience. Great management / leadership, career opportunities abound, get to work with incredible colleagues around the world.

I'm very grateful to be a part of the company. (And no, I'm not someone in HR just doing a fluff piece. :)

Cons

I'm a remote employee (as in, no longer in Charlottesville or NYC) and I've observed that colleagues are using their video cameras a lot less than they used to for multi-site meetings (which is all of them, pretty much). This is a bummer because a bit of a human element is lost when they're phone-only conversations.

That's what I get for moving, I know; just wanted to put *something* in as a Con and not leave it NA.

Advice to Management

n/a

4. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Tech Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Tech Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work. Plenty of room for advancement. Company gives annual bonus and I have received annual raises

Cons

There are no cons (in my position) that are worth mentioning. Other than the fact that I have to come to Charlottesville daily.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Setting expectations and then keeping a hands of approach is a great motivator. Nice to see that I am expected to be responsible

5. "Great for the start fades towards the end"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great stop out of college, matching 401K, lots of supportive employee resource groups and discount gym memberships, etc. Come ready to learn and soak up everything. Culture is good but after 2-3 years look around, if you're a developer you're a god, earn your stripes then check out Google or Amazon.

Cons

Not a lot of upside in the tech space your best bet is to stay close to the money in the product suite IB space well managed. With so much change tech is not focused on NYC at the moment.

Advice to Management

Stop experimenting with the S&P Ratings money, and these 3rd party attempts at a platform.

6. "Software Developer"

Pros

Good work life balance, understanding managers

Cons

Nepotism, nothing new to develop

Advice to Management

Good. keep it up and good luck

7. "Decent company"

Current Employee - Lead in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ
    Current Employee - Lead in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

Pros

flexible working hours, decent salary

Cons

biased strategic decisions.
    legacy mindset people.

"Don't be overwhelmed at first and take everything in stride, great people and a great company to grow with."

Current Employee - Client Development Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Development Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management is very helpful and encouraging, the pay is good, beautiful offices, potential for growth, great benefits, a universally respected company that clients want to do business with.

Cons

Very few to think of. At times it can be difficult to get in touch with the right person internally, but that's probably not uncommon at large corporations.

9. "SPGMI"

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time

Pros

Great work/ life balance
    Majority of colleagues are hard working and qualified
    Not micro-managed
    Strong mentorship and training programs

Cons

Upper level management does not care about their employees
    Culture has deteriorated

10. "Feedback"

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time

Pros

Provided lots of room to excel and grow into more responsibility

Cons

Since the restructuring of this company, the quality of life at work has decreased as well as the compensation