S&P Global Market Intelligence Reviews | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

S&P Global Market Intelligence Reviews

Updated December 16, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance/telecommuting opportunity (in 211 reviews)

• 3-Open minded culture with a very good work environment no work pressure manager s are very cool (in 83 reviews)

"Bureaucratic Hell"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dress code was lax, location is great, some of the teams seemed to have a great sense of community.

Cons

TL;DR- Performance reviews, bonuses, and overall quality of work are blatantly in favor of legacy employees-- regardless of the efforts and the contributions brought on by anyone that is newer to the company.

Yikes. Where to begin...
    I was put on the mapping team that mainly consisted of legacy members. I applied for a "Test Engineer II" position and was offered a position as "Test Engineer I" with an on-boarding plan involving me moving up to the next level in a given timeline, which I reluctantly accepted.

After the first few months, I found myself trapped in a stagnant state of under-compelling work that left me feeling anything but motivated. I made several attempts to approach my manager during this time asking if there was anything I could do such as acquiring certifications or external work to ensure I could stay on track with the original plan. This was constantly swept under the rug and ignored.

During the first round of performance reviews, I was falsely accused of not performing a full 40 hours of work during certain weeks of the year. The accusations were brought on by another tester on the mapping team that I suspect was threatened by my presence. I had no choice at this point to bring HR into the picture while meeting with my manager to clear my name. After enough long-winded meetings, my manager finally admitted on the record that these allegations had no proof or evidence, and that I was not fudging hours on my timesheet. Shortly after these incidents, I received a poor performance review. When approaching my manager about it, all he claimed was that it was as result of a "Stack Ranking" system which made him feel "forced" into giving me this inaccurate and poor rating.

Although I remained miserable for the next few following months, I gave one last attempt to bring up my concerns to my manager. I informed him that I felt more rewarded for silence than with engaging my ideas with my team. I told him how unhappy I was and how unfairly I thought I was being treated. His reaction to this was to tell me that it was probably the "Right approach" to stay quiet and under the radar and perhaps I would eventually feel better after enough time. Needless to say, I started applying for another job immediately following that meeting.

To shed some light on my qualifications and work ethic, I'm now employed at a much better place where I feel engaged, challenged, and rewarded for my work. I've gotten a tremendous amount of positive feedback from my team here, and received a raise after my first few months at the company. I'm not just some angry clock watching worker-bee trying to put in a bad rep of S&P Global for the sake of it. I was legitimately miserable, bored, and mistreated my entire time there.

Advice to Management

As an educated female millennial, I felt that this was the most unwelcoming environment imaginable for young and passionate talent. I would have appreciated management giving me an unbiased and sincere attitude when approaching them about my concerns and unhappiness. It was clear my manager only cared about particular team members that had been around longer solely because he based an employees value on their collected knowledge of the team and product.

Also-- good luck with the next sucker you throw on the mapping team.

"A Potential Career Killer - Stay Away!!!"

Pros

Some of the employees are great people with untapped potential. Work hours are decent unless you work for a manager that assumes you have no personal life. Some managers will assume you are available 24/7.

Cons

This was without a doubt the worst work experience ever and can be a career killer because some of the positions don't translate to other companies. They lure you in with promises of advancement and high profile projects. There are lots of phony promises made . The reality is that you work on many projects that are ill-conceived and unprofitable. Its hard to market on your resume that you spent a year working on a project that was either scrapped because of the never-ending management changes or it was unprofitable because its not marketable. The firm creates products without asking the customer if they would buy it. Many research reports either have little viewership or creates no value for clients. Most of the MD's are out of their league, all talk and just fake it by being loud and obnoxious. It you show any initiative or offer alternative strategies, you risk being made redundant.. HR is also totally useless and has no backbone - complaints have been made against some managers but HR does nothing to protect the employee. Some managers may have personality disorders which makes the daily workday difficult for employees but HR will not help. If you want to succeed there, just suck up to management but don't do anything to stand out. Just be political. Promotions, bonuses and job stability depend on cronyism and favoritism. Lastly, there is little investment going on now which means that the company will likely fall behind competitors - the key IT platform keeps crashing and hasn't been updated for years.

Advice to Management

Get a clue! You've ruined what could have been a great company and turned it into a shell. Try to have some empathy for the people who work for you. In a best case scenario, you would all be fired and a new team brought in to transform the product for the needs of the 2016 investor.

"STAY AWAY - integration pains (bad news for NY)"

Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good lifestyle; often work from home on Fridays.

Cons

Currently integrating legacy Cap IQ with legacy SNL Financial. Very painful and employee satisfaction is extremely low, especially on the Cap IQ (New York) side, because power, decision-making, and promotions are generally going to the SNL side (Charlottesville). Also, SNL culture is to be skimpy on compensation, and also to weed out weaker performers regularly, so all in all don't expect the company to provide any job stability.

"Epitome of Greedy 1%"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting business products. NYC location.

Cons

A free fall place for savvy competitors to disrupt. SNL Financial backroom PE deal caused $50M+ immediate operating cuts resulting in many layoffs strategically spread out over time to avoid bells and whistles. CEO of the acquired firm reportedly pocketed $60M from the deal. Anyone associated with the S&P Capital IQ exec team was ousted (regardless of performance and potential). Politically motivated MDs saved cronies the first rounds, only to be later ousted themselves. SNL Financial CEO will eventually oust the entire exec team and insert himself as CEO.

5. "Be cautious of working here"

Current Employee - Local Driver in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Local Driver in Tyler, TX

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are home each day which is a plus. Paid EVERY week which is another plus. Located in Tyler for convenience.

Cons

Horrible I mean HORRIBLE pay. You have to work 6 + days to even make a good living. There is NO advancement opportunity. I've worked here going on 6 months & I make the same pay as guys who have been here 10+ yrs. The trucks are garbage. The yard where the trucks & trailers are kept is horrible. Pot holes ALL OVER THE PLACE. Worked here for 4 months before the fixed the lights in the parking area. Just don't expect anything they tell you to come true unless your willing to work 6+ days a week

Advice to Management

Non existent.

"Director"

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time

Pros

Strong brand name, well respected in the market. Great benefits specifically for employees with families.

Cons

Company in constant restructuring mode (3 Presidents in the last 3 years) Lacks diversity in managerial roles. Very bureaucractic environment. which makes it hard to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Work towards keeping talented people that want to see the company thrive. Remove the cronyism. it's bringing the company down.

7. "Management Lacks Experience"

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time

Pros

Pay is decent for the area

Cons

A number of people who are in management roles are too young and inexperienced. There is little career development or value placed on the employee. Be prepared to work long and thankless hours.

Advice to Management

Bring in more outside managers instead of constantly promoting from within the company. Someone who started at SNL as an analyst when they were 22 will not have the proper experience to manage without specialized training and guidance.

"Client Development Associate"

Former Employee - Client Development Associate
    Former Employee - Client Development Associate

Pros

Good company and good perks and benefits for employees if you get a manager who allows you to have access to them. HR is non existent at this company you may as well be calling your visa's client service 800 #.

Cons

Most managers do not allow employees to utilize company perks such as work life balance, working from home, flexing your time, company paid extras such as cell phone, late work transportation, etc.

Advice to Management

Do not continue to allow managers to deny employees in certain groups/teams access to firm wide benefits based on the managers fears. Train your managers on how to treat employees.

"Used to be great"

Current Employee - Senior Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time

Pros

Pay is good for what you're doing. Very laid back environment.

Cons

The company is on it's third executive committee in 12 months. Part of this included laying off good, hardworking people who had been there for years. On the west coast there is now a lack of management. People come to work drunk and high. Managers encourage this because they find it funny. Promotions are based on friendships, not merit. People consistently take naps in the office.

Advice to Management

Fire the local management and start over. Encourage employees by showing that hard work is rewarded. Don't allow drug use in the office.

"Former Employee- Sales NYC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Good Education/training programs. Flexibility, culture, great benefits, 401k matching

Cons

Too much change in management, not enough promotion/growth opportunities in-house. Incompetent managers

Advice to Management

Promote from lower-levels!!